Aviation Attractions in Cornwall

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

12 years 10 months

I'm spending a few days in Perranporth, in August this year.

I'd appreciate any advice on any available aviation related sites in the area. I believe there is a museum of sorts at St Mawgan, but would like to know about any other attractions.

Thanks in advance.

Original post

Member for

15 years 3 months

Cornwall Aviation Heritage Centre at Newquay International Airport (St Mawgan as was) is well worth a visit.

Member for

16 years 6 months

The Cornwall at war museum is at Davidstow Moor. It’s also worth having a drive / walk around the old disused airfield there and imagine the Beaufighters in the circuit. I found the place very atmospheric. It also used to be possible to enter the old disused control tower there as well if you didn’t mind the sheep.

Member for

13 years

Davidstowe Moor. Davidstowe airfield and Cornwall Air Museum. In former WWII buildings a varied display about units based there and wartime life. Minor road to west of A39 to the North of Camelford, quite close to Cathedral City cheese factory - somewhat north of Perranporth - but could be on your way there or back. There a few years ago, well worth a few hours. A Hunter and Gannet, plus target drones. www.cornwallatwarmuseum.co.uk Mind the turning back onto the A39 I was in an accident there several years back turning right.

Look at the Air Show lists to check should your visit co-incide with RNAS Culdrose Air Day, or one of many informal 'fly-in' events at the likes of Bodmin, Perranporth, or other small GA airfields. Several times adjusted my route to stop en route at RNAS Yeovilton - but much would depend on where are starting from.

Member for

12 years 10 months

Thanks everyone for the info.
The Cornwall Aviation Heritage Centre looks favourite to me for a day out.

I' d love to visit the FAA Museum, but sadly it's too far away, (I'm travelling from Lincoln with the family), and I'm the only aviation enthusiast.

What happened to the aircraft that used to be at museum near Helston, I think it was ?

Member for

15 years 8 months

No airshow at Culdrose 2019 (or 2017 or 2018)...there is a public viewing area...pot luck on what arrives/departs...viewing areas/ refreshments also at Newquay and Lands End Airports

Member for

19 years 7 months

“What happened to the aircraft that used to be at museum near Helston, I think it was ?”

That was the Cornwall Aero Park. It was transformed eventually into the ‘Flambards’ theme park which is not aviation themed apart from two of the old Aero Park exhibits which are still there, namely a replica Concorde cockpit and the cockpit for an early Shackleton. Some of the old Aero Park airframes moved to other collections whilst others were scrapped, loaned items were returned such as the Skyraider which is stored at Yeovilton.

Member for

12 years 10 months

Thanks everyone again for the information. I do remember the Aero Park, as I visited it in 1982, while on a course at St Mawgan. There was a bit of a rumpus in the South Atlantic at the time, and I expected to be dragged back to Kinloss at any moment. Unfortunately, I didn't have a camera in those days, so have no photogaphic evidence of my day out at the Aero Park.

Strangely enough, my only other stay in the area occured 13 years earlier, when I remember watching a certain "out of this world" event, being shown live on TV, whilst on holiday with my parents at Trevose Head.

Member for

13 years

An aircraft to look out for on your travels is at Liskeard. A dramatically posed Lightning F.6 (XS936) graces Castle Motors car sales room on the A38. Very nearby is Castle Helicopters helipad - while access is possible only by prior permission there is a minor road with a good view of any activity. Information courtesy of Wreck of Relics - every time I've been to Liskeard (that's around four times) I've missed the location of car sales/helipad! Depending on your particular interest in aviation the GA airfields at Bodmin and Perranporth have both been friendly when I've visited - just ask at the clubroom/'control' tower. Perranporth Airfield Aero Club has a small café attached if memory serves correct - but this info is a couple of years old now.

PS As you are with non-aviation family, you could trade an hour at slightly inland Davidstow for two hours at either Tintagel or Boscastle tourist 'honey-pots' which are only 5-8 miles away on the coast (or Port Isaac (tv set for Doc Martin series) a little further south nearer Newquay). Non aviation, but if you have an active family, hire bicycles at Padstow or Wadebridge and there is an old railway line cycle track running for miles through beautiful countryside, but with only a gentle gradient. More details should be found on a Google. My wife had an adult trike (for balance) and I had a child carrier attached for our two dogs - a great day out.

Member for

18 years 10 months

There's a WWII chain home{?} blockhouse in Downderry, think it may be a house there days