The restoration of the Fw 200 Condor

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

13 years 9 months

For someone who follows the restoration of this mammoth and incredible project I was very pleased to find this up to date [June 2019] website with English translation.
https://translate.google.co.uk/trans...e/&prev=search

Original post

Member for

20 years 7 months

That will be something to see :)

Member for

15 years 7 months

Am I correct in assuming that this rebuild is for a static/museum type display and incorporating a large percentage of newly fabricated sheet metal ?

Member for

16 years 4 months

Am I correct in assuming that this rebuild is for a static/museum type display and incorporating a large percentage of newly fabricated sheet metal ?

U are. When it was brought up out of the sea, it basically fell apart, so they've built a new one incorporating parts from crash sites and whatever they could that survived decades in the sea

Member for

19 years 9 months

Also, it's being built as a pre-war airliner rather than the Ocean patroller, complete with 'straight' outer engines rather than the canted ones the C had

Member for

19 years

Also, it's being built as a pre-war airliner

:(

Member for

5 years 7 months

The translation is sometimes awkward and there does not seem to be a concise or complete statement of the final aim of the rebuild. However, there are several references to the fact that they are rebuilding a military C type. Also, the military underfuselage gondola is featured for fitment to the rebuild. The words about the fuselage are strange when they describe the "civilian" structure and the "military" modifications for the rebuild. I may be wrong but, I think that they are building a static only military C, as close as possible to the actual original machine.

V

Member for

18 years 5 months

The translation is sometimes awkward and there does not seem to be a concise or complete statement of the final aim of the rebuild. However, there are several references to the fact that they are rebuilding a military C type. Also, the military underfuselage gondola is featured for fitment to the rebuild. The words about the fuselage are strange when they describe the "civilian" structure and the "military" modifications for the rebuild. I may be wrong but, I think that they are building a static only military C, as close as possible to the actual original machine.

V

The recent photos show that it will be a civil airliner version, currently being restored by volunteers at Airbus.
.[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"image-articleDetail-3588f785-1226172.jpg","data-attachmentid":3866351}[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"hipreview-2.jpg?zoom=1.25&resize=522%2C348.jpg","data-attachmentid":3866350}[/ATTACH]

Attachments

Member for

5 years 7 months

Yes, D-9, I can see that the wing looks like that! I suspect that this project was corrupted by one/several of the major rebuild sponsors? Certainly, the story in the website pages is mostly pushing the Military version. Also, I think the 323 motors are purely Mil versions. If this is such a civil/mil hotch-potch, it is a bit like taking a Halifax and rebuilding it as a Hastings! Maybe an idea for the RAFM? !

V

Member for

14 years 11 months

Amazing how a well-run mammoth multimillion volunteer project seems to always get criticized here. To paraphrase: "And would version would your rebuilt Condor be?"

Member for

18 years 4 months

Astonishing progress, thats taking a lot of technical skills and volunteer hours.

Vintage I assume that you realise there are Hastings parts in two Halifax rebuilds already?

Member for

5 years 7 months

Astonishing progress, thats taking a lot of technical skills and volunteer hours.

Vintage I assume that you realise there are Hastings parts in two Halifax rebuilds already?

I had imagined that my "turn a Halifax into a Hastings" comment (which would be absurd) might illustrate the situation. Notwithstanding the huge amount of effort that is being put into the Fw200, what could have been a restoration of a known historic aircraft is now really an inaccurate new-build mock-up of an airliner, incorporating original components from a (very different) maritime bomber. The situation does not depend upon anyone's preference for the re-creation of a Condor airliner or bomber, whatever the quality of the work the end result will be so much less than a correct restoration could have been.:(
On a similar vein, how about some agitation for the full rebuild of S-Sugar? That aircraft has been dismally neglected by RAFM. I think that the rarity and importance of her restoration far outweighs any merit in her left in "untouched" state. A restoration could be achieved in good time for the 100th anniversary of her War Service.

V

Member for

13 years 9 months

I guess there is a clue in one photo, the wall has a poster of D-ACON and you can clearly see the colour scheme on the rebuild following that by looking at the black band along the window line and black painted engine nacelles as well as aluminium silver painted wings.If it is to become this wouldn't the four main wheel undercarriage will be the most obviously visually incorrect item? .

Member for

14 years

Tough crowd. It's a Condor and that should be good enough surely?

Member for

12 years

A big amount of money was spent by Airbus EADS to suport this restauration. So just imagine the reaction in Germany and other countrys if this company would show a roll out of a german aircraft, in it´ s military livery. So I think they found a good way to have an option to donate this aircraft to a selected museum and show the aircraft later on in itˋs correct colour and markings. Just my idea....

Member for

20 years 8 months

Probably much easier, cheaper and quicker to rebuild it as it was originally built than converting to the airliner configuration.

Very impressive amount of progress over the last few years. Nice to see another type back from extinction.

Profile picture for user 1batfastard

Member for

11 years 2 months

Hi All,

Apologies for posting this but it does relate to the FW200 restoration being complete it popped up on a Youtube recommendation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZb1TUIfeWo

Going off track slightly and talking of FW's anybody know any details about what the future is for the Paul Allen FW189 Owl ?

The last I heard was that it was still in the US,  but since Mr Allen passing nothing.  Other than some of the airframes are being moved on to help with other current projects and the running of what he had achieved.

Geoff.

Member for

4 years 5 months

I don’t think it’s ever gone to the US - IIRC it’s still at ARCO?

TT

Profile picture for user 1batfastard

Member for

11 years 2 months

Hi All,

I have contacted the PA collection as to any info and I can't find any reference to any update by ARCO still it will be worth the wait when it flies touch wood.

Geoff.