Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The restoration of the Fw 200 Condor

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HALCYONMAN
    Rank 5 Registered User
    • Jun 2010

The restoration of the Fw 200 Condor

For someone who follows the restoration of this mammoth and incredible project I was very pleased to find this up to date [June 2019] website with English translation.
    https://translate.google.co.uk/trans...e/&prev=search
  • trumper
    Rank 5 Registered User
    • Aug 2003

That will be something to see

Comment

• longshot
      Rank 5 Registered User
      • Aug 2008

Am I correct in assuming that this rebuild is for a static/museum type display and incorporating a large percentage of newly fabricated sheet metal ?

Comment

• Oxcart
        Rank 5 Registered User
        • Nov 2007

Originally posted by longshot View Post
        Am I correct in assuming that this rebuild is for a static/museum type display and incorporating a large percentage of newly fabricated sheet metal ?
        U are. When it was brought up out of the sea, it basically fell apart, so they've built a new one incorporating parts from crash sites and whatever they could that survived decades in the sea
        Give a man a fish and eat for a day. Give a man a fishing rod and he'll eat for a lifetime. Give a man religion and he'll die praying for a fish!

Comment

• DaveF68
          Rank 5 Registered User
          • Jun 2004

Also, it's being built as a pre-war airliner rather than the Ocean patroller, complete with 'straight' outer engines rather than the canted ones the C had

Comment

• JgerMarty
            Plastic Pilot
            • Mar 2005

Originally posted by DaveF68 View Post
            Also, it's being built as a pre-war airliner

Comment

• Vintage
              Rank 3 Registered User
              • Aug 2018

The translation is sometimes awkward and there does not seem to be a concise or complete statement of the final aim of the rebuild. However, there are several references to the fact that they are rebuilding a military C type. Also, the military underfuselage gondola is featured for fitment to the rebuild. The words about the fuselage are strange when they describe the "civilian" structure and the "military" modifications for the rebuild. I may be wrong but, I think that they are building a static only military C, as close as possible to the actual original machine.

V

Comment

• DoraNineFan
                Rank 5 Registered User
                • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Vintage View Post
                The translation is sometimes awkward and there does not seem to be a concise or complete statement of the final aim of the rebuild. However, there are several references to the fact that they are rebuilding a military C type. Also, the military underfuselage gondola is featured for fitment to the rebuild. The words about the fuselage are strange when they describe the "civilian" structure and the "military" modifications for the rebuild. I may be wrong but, I think that they are building a static only military C, as close as possible to the actual original machine.

V
                The recent photos show that it will be a civil airliner version, currently being restored by volunteers at Airbus.
                .Click image for larger version

Name:	image-articleDetail-3588f785-1226172.jpg
Views:	818
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	3866351
                Click image for larger version

Name:	hipreview-2.jpg?zoom=1.25&resize=522%2C348.jpg
Views:	813
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	3866350

Comment

• Vintage
                  Rank 3 Registered User
                  • Aug 2018

Yes, D-9, I can see that the wing looks like that! I suspect that this project was corrupted by one/several of the major rebuild sponsors? Certainly, the story in the website pages is mostly pushing the Military version. Also, I think the 323 motors are purely Mil versions. If this is such a civil/mil hotch-potch, it is a bit like taking a Halifax and rebuilding it as a Hastings! Maybe an idea for the RAFM? !

V

Comment

• ericmunk
                    Rank 5 Registered User
                    • Apr 2009

Amazing how a well-run mammoth multimillion volunteer project seems to always get criticized here. To paraphrase: "And would version would your rebuilt Condor be?"

Comment

• scotavia
                      scotavia
                      • Nov 2005

Astonishing progress, thats taking a lot of technical skills and volunteer hours.

Vintage I assume that you realise there are Hastings parts in two Halifax rebuilds already?

Comment

• Vintage
                        Rank 3 Registered User
                        • Aug 2018

Originally posted by scotavia View Post
                        Astonishing progress, thats taking a lot of technical skills and volunteer hours.

Vintage I assume that you realise there are Hastings parts in two Halifax rebuilds already?
                        I had imagined that my "turn a Halifax into a Hastings" comment (which would be absurd) might illustrate the situation. Notwithstanding the huge amount of effort that is being put into the Fw200, what could have been a restoration of a known historic aircraft is now really an inaccurate new-build mock-up of an airliner, incorporating original components from a (very different) maritime bomber. The situation does not depend upon anyone's preference for the re-creation of a Condor airliner or bomber, whatever the quality of the work the end result will be so much less than a correct restoration could have been.
                        On a similar vein, how about some agitation for the full rebuild of S-Sugar? That aircraft has been dismally neglected by RAFM. I think that the rarity and importance of her restoration far outweighs any merit in her left in "untouched" state. A restoration could be achieved in good time for the 100th anniversary of her War Service.

V

Comment

• HALCYONMAN
                          Rank 5 Registered User
                          • Jun 2010

I guess there is a clue in one photo, the wall has a poster of D-ACON and you can clearly see the colour scheme on the rebuild following that by looking at the black band along the window line and black painted engine nacelles as well as aluminium silver painted wings.If it is to become this wouldn't the four main wheel undercarriage will be the most obviously visually incorrect item? .

Comment

• Sabrejet
                            Rank 5 Registered User
                            • Mar 2010

Tough crowd. It's a Condor and that should be good enough surely?

Comment

• Pulsar-xp
                              Rank 5 Registered User
                              • Mar 2012

A big amount of money was spent by Airbus EADS to suport this restauration. So just imagine the reaction in Germany and other countrys if this company would show a roll out of a german aircraft, in it s military livery. So I think they found a good way to have an option to donate this aircraft to a selected museum and show the aircraft later on in itˋs correct colour and markings. Just my idea....

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Working...
                              X