Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

British bomber wreck in Swedish forest

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Graham Boak
    Rank 5 Registered User
    • Nov 2008

British bomber wreck in Swedish forest

On tour in Northern Sweden. Guide said there was a British WW2 bomber wreck in forest nearby. We were travelling from Yokkmokk to Gallivare. Does anyone have any suggestions for the type/incident?
  • richw_82
    White Knuckle Airlines
    • Nov 2009

Hi Graham,

Sad that your guide didn't know the significance of exactly what it is. Its Avro Lancaster NF920 KC - E, known as "Easy Elsie" of 617 Sqn, crashed on 29th Oct 1944 near Porjus after attacking the Tirpitz. I've been trying for a good few years to get through all the red tape to recover her out of there.

Regards

Rich

Comment

• Graham Boak
      Rank 5 Registered User
      • Nov 2008

Thanks Rich. I wondered about it being a Halifax or Lancaster from a Tirpitz attack, but it is good to have the real details.

Comment

• Tony C
        Rank 5 Registered User
        • May 2003

Originally posted by richw_82 View Post
        Hi Graham,

Sad that your guide didn't know the significance of exactly what it is. Its Avro Lancaster NF920 KC - E, known as "Easy Elsie" of 617 Sqn, crashed on 29th Oct 1944 near Porjus after attacking the Tirpitz. I've been trying for a good few years to get through all the red tape to recover her out of there.

Regards

Rich
        Rich,
        I've followed your efforts when I was a regular poster on WIX, can you advise what the currant situation is with Elsie?
        Tony

...and pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in Space cos there's bugg*r all down here on Earth!

Comment

• richw_82
          White Knuckle Airlines
          • Nov 2009

Hi Tony.

I have a couple of very willing helpers in the area, who managed to knock down a few more red tape barriers and between us we got everything more or less sorted for the third attempt. For once, everyone in authority was agreed it could and would happen. Then the local land management authority (not the National one) suddenly decided any work carried out on the land required a licence. Nobody can yet tell me what the licence is or how you go about obtaining one, so we're looking into it. Further up the chain we were told no permission is needed to go on the land, other than restrictions on machinery due the environmental issues.

Efforts are still ongoing. If others can take what they want off the wreck illegally with no reaction, we will find the way through to recover her legally.

Comment

• trumper
            Rank 5 Registered User
            • Aug 2003

How much of her is realistically left and salvageable ?

Comment

• TwinOtter23
              NAM volunteer-Plugmeister
              • Jan 2006

Back in 2017 I dealt with some communications from a group that was looking for undercover storage/display space for the remains of NF920, as they claimed they were close to getting them back to the UK - after the initial contacts it all went quiet.
              Find out what's happening at newarkairmuseum.org
              Please help move Chinook ZA717 to Newark Air Museum

Comment

• richw_82
                White Knuckle Airlines
                • Nov 2009

Trumper -

There's still a fair bit left salvageable, my wish for it if recovery was successful was always to see it displayed in a similar way to the wreck in the Berlin Technical Museum

TO23 -

I think that was the Facebook group approaching everyone in the aftermath of Jon Nichol featuring the wreck prominently in his documentary. There was the feel at one point it was 'Everybody on the ferry, lets go get it!'

Comment

• TwinOtter23
                  NAM volunteer-Plugmeister
                  • Jan 2006

Your reply to Trumper was interesting; here's a partial quote from one of the emails: ".....Long term aim is to store, protect and display her in a similar manner to the Halifax at Hendon or the Lancaster in Berlin."
                  Find out what's happening at newarkairmuseum.org
                  Please help move Chinook ZA717 to Newark Air Museum

Comment

• George
                    Rank 5 Registered User
                    • Feb 2014

This aircraft represents a significant event in the last War and the extraordinary bravery of those crews.
                    I take my hat off to anyone or team that can pull this off and retrieve the plane from a very remote position.
                    I would imagine that several broadcasting companies could contribute to making quite a film or series about its retrieval for the Nation.
                    Perhaps those who took parts from it over the decades for safekeeping might return them when the project concludes!

i wish you well.

Comment

• smirky
                      Rank 5 Registered User
                      • Oct 2008

I have not been there but as far as I remember this one is looked after by the locals who have provided a boardwalk so that the wreck can be visited in situ in a marsh. I also seem to remember that parts were recovered by the Swedish Airforce ? but later returned to be displayed in situ and that the aircraft was set alight by the crew after the crash so the centre section is badly damaged.

Comment

• richw_82
                        White Knuckle Airlines
                        • Nov 2009

Originally posted by TwinOtter23 View Post
                        Your reply to Trumper was interesting; here's a partial quote from one of the emails: ".....Long term aim is to store, protect and display her in a similar manner to the Halifax at Hendon or the Lancaster in Berlin."
                        Looks as if whoever sent it was lifting parts of my posts about it on Facebook. Thats almost word for word what I put when several people asked me what I intended for it after the first recovery attempt back in 2004.

Smirky -

I'd have to agree to disagree about being looked after. Looked after is not leaving it to be pillaged of the canopy framing, pilots seat frame and armour, front turret and other parts over the last few years. Someone went up there this winter and chopped the remaining oxygen system parts out. The wooden walkway was there in 1944, being used to get the injured pilot out of the marsh area and down to Porjus.

The rear fuselage section was removed in 1985 but returned to site in 1992 when the Swedish Air Force Museum decided it wasn't of interest.

Comment

• scotavia
                          scotavia
                          • Nov 2005

Unless you surround a wreck site with security fencing and paid patrols you will not prevent pillaging, this applies anywhere and is why i believe any suggestions of leaving wrecks as a memorial is fraught.

Comment

• QldSpitty
                            Rank 5 Registered User
                            • Apr 2006

Same thing happened with Swamp Ghost in PNG back in the day
                            "If the C.O. ask's you to be Tail End Charlie...just shoot him!!!....A Piece of Cake.
                            http://spitfirea58-27.blogspot.com.au/

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Working...
                            X