I have seen a car 'wrapped'...but a Spitfire!

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 2 months

For the D-Day commemorations in Belgium Mk XVI Spitfire SL721 was temporarily wrapped in the personal markings of Joseph "Jef" Moureau (98 years) from 349 (Belgian) Squadron. He shot down a Junkers Ju.88 during D-Day.

https://www.facebook.com/grafiwrap.grafityp/videos/1282413765261354/

Mark

Original post
Profile picture for user 1batfastard

Member for

11 years 2 months

Hi All,
Good idea that but is it cheaper than a paint scheme if you want to change every now and then ? I wonder how much it would cost to wrap NX611 ? You could do a vectored torn paper art scheme that features all her colour schemes from primer up until the scheme she wears today, ( well at least until she makes that leap in the air) in a similar form to the scheme below with a little imagination....:p

You get the idea ? Maybe even take part of the wrap off bit by bit as she nears her final scheme ? Whether or not it's to anybody's liking is another question altogether.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\timages?q=tbn:ANd9GcSXlor7bkKoy3DIZwaHo4vL_dcZXy3P9UoNYtLUfrGbUb0ptHka.jpg Views:\t0 Size:\t9.8 KB ID:\t3864855","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"3864855","data-size":"custom","height":"396","title":"images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSXlor7bkKoy3DIZwaHo4vL_dcZXy3P9UoNYtLUfrGbUb0ptHka.jpg","width":"396"}[/ATTACH]

Geoff.

Attachments

Member for

19 years 5 months

Less expensive than paint, but also environmentally better...In short perfect for a short-term scheme.

Used quite a bit on race cars, so they'll stand up to warbird speeds.
Don't know about faster jets.
​​​

Member for

20 years 8 months

Is there any worry that they could become "unwrapped" whilst airbourne with all the potentially lethal problems that could cause?

Member for

18 years 2 months

The new films hold up well. I did it on Fougas in 2004-2007. First BAF F-16 tail was wrapped around 2006 I believe.

Member for

17 years 5 months

Yep the USAF trailed complete camo wraps on the F16 if I remember correctly.

Member for

19 years

My main concern with the manufacturer's video clip is that by the end of it Spitfire LFXVIe SL721 has been converted into a PRXIX PM631... then converts itself back again in flight!!! Amazing

Bit obvious with that five blade prop :rolleyes:

Member for

18 years 2 months

Once we went grey, all the Jag Sqn logos were vinyl - if you recall for the 25th sets were made up of the ex user Sqns too

Member for

17 years 5 months

Even before that, I had an external ejector seat decal from a JP stuck to my toilet cistern back in the 70's

it was replace later with a Danger hot exhaust gases one...... :rolleyes: