Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Avoid Daks Over Normandy - Sat 8th June

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bob
    Bob
    Aerophile
    • Jan 2000

It is a shame that what has been possibly the last time for many veterans to mark a significant anniversary of D-Day has been marred by this controversy.

The efforts by owner/operators of the aircraft to get them over the 'pond' for the gathering shouldn't be overlooked and it all seems to have gone very sour over the last few days.

Thankfully there was a bit more dot joining going on 75 years ago....
    Under my gruff exterior lies an even gruffer interior...

行雲流水

Warbirdskies Blog

Comment

• TonyT
      Rank 5 Registered User
      • Oct 2006

Do not get me wrong, I went to the Duxford side of things, the dedication and efforts by all of thosee to get their aircraft here and on show was nothing short of miraculous, kudos to them all and I take my hat off to them, Duxford being Duxford has the facilities to absorb any delays in the show with plenty to see and do, weather wise on day one I fully understood and there was nothing one could do to prevent that.

Day two with the delays one did get the feeling that the organisers didn't really have any back up plan to fill in the gaps and a lot of the crowd wishing to retain their viewing patch were reluctant to move so ended up standing and waiting for something to happen.

My biggest disappointment was the lack of drops, that as I have said couldn't be forseen because of the weather on day one and would never happen or was planned for on day two as chutes etc need to be repacked.

But the biggest of all disappointment was the lack of a flypast of them all, maybe it was ATC, limits of fuel or lack of formation flying skills.. etc, I do not know, but after the mass take off it would have been nce to have seen them all overfly Duxford, either in formation or as a stream, neither of which happened.
      Last edited by TonyT; 11th June 2019, 10:41.

Comment

• ZRX61
        Rank 5 Registered User
        • May 2005

Originally posted by Hooligan View Post
        Can't see that unless you have a Facebook account ZRX - anyone care to share the gist?
        The basic gist is:
        It's rapidly becoming apparent that the whole deal in France organised by Braun was a scam from the start. All those photo flights he sold in T6's were illegal, There were never any NOTAMs filed, He didn't bother asking the tower to open at 7am instead of 9am. No permits etc. It appears all he did was collect money & lie to everyone. There's a LOT of people very angry over all this & Braun has dropped off the radar.

& now the displeasure has spilled over on the Berlin Airlift 70 FaceBook page (another Braun deal) with people there bringing up that he owes refunds for the DoN fiasco... However, given that this event is taking place in Germany, I expect the level of competency will be a lot higher...
        Last edited by ZRX61; 11th June 2019, 16:22.
        If anybody ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me: It's all balls. RJM.

Comment

• ZRX61
          Rank 5 Registered User
          • May 2005

Jo (formerly posting as DoN) posted this:

Joanne Jones Hi, I wanted to address this issue...

I have stepped away from doing the social media for Daks over Normandy because this has been a very time consuming volunteer role over the last 12 months and I also have an even busier full-time job.

As the event is now over and I have returned to work today then I think my job on that side is pretty much done. However, as people still need a contact to air their grievances and for reassurance that someone is listening then I am continuing to answer emails and forward them where possible.

No-one has silenced me or asked me not to say anything. I just don't want to be publicly vocal on anything at this time.

Again, thank you for all the kind words that have been offered to me. Many thanks, Jo

If anybody ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me: It's all balls. RJM.

Comment

• Hooligan
            Rank 5 Registered User
            • Mar 2017

Many thanks ZRX. Oh dear.

Well I've nothing useful to add to that but I would like to add my thanks to all those who did their part in getting the Daks together especially those from America and to all those who made what did happen happen. And even more heartfelt thanks to those who made it happen in 1944.

Comment

• ZRX61
              Rank 5 Registered User
              • May 2005

Yup, the Dakota owners & parachutists etc have no blame in any of this. It's all on the shoulders of one man..

Brauns miracle recovery from a heart attack has now been compounded by his claim he also suffered a "complete mental breakdown". From the post I saw, it appears this happened as he walked out of the hospital.
              Last edited by ZRX61; 11th June 2019, 22:55.

Comment

• ZRX61
                Rank 5 Registered User
                • May 2005

D Day Squadron statement:

http://ddaysquadron.org/d-day-squadr...ommemorations/

Comment

• ZRX61
                  Rank 5 Registered User
                  • May 2005

Last few paragraphs of this report of rather enlightening:

http://thisisflight.net/airshow-revi...normandy-2019/

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Working...
                  X