Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flying Legends 2019

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • UPDATES
    Rank 5 Registered User
    • Jun 2005

Flying Legends 2019

Flying Legends Air Show Saturday 13th & Sunday 14th July 2019, come and celebrate Flying Legends at IWM Duxford.

Click here for tickets.
  • Brenden S
    Rank 5 Registered User
    • Dec 2016

Is there anyone who can help me with some questions in regards to the Duxford airshow? I have bought tickets, flight line walk and a car parking ticket for both Saturday and Sunday
    Where is the main car park for the people who have purchased tickets? I see that it opens at 0800 on both days, but from experience is it open earlier?
    How is the traffic first thing in the morning?
    Flight line walk, where does it start and any tips?
    Any tips for a good spot to park myself (and the wife) for the day and get some decent photos?
    Any other tips would be great.

Comment

• Ant.H
      Rank 5 Registered User
      • Jan 2000

Hi Brenden,

Car Parking: The event is ticket only, so there is no particular car park for ticket holders. You'll either have to present your ticket at a booth as you drive in or once you're on foot, depending on what car park you're directed to. The overflow car parking isn't that far from the airfield, although can be a bit rough. If you have anybody with mobility problems it's well worth requesting a parking slot in the main museum car park which is held back for visitors who need it.

Opening: The opening times are strictly adhered to, I've not heard of anyone getting in before the stated opening time.

Traffic: It's pretty busy all day and I have heard that early is no quieter. The traffic management arrangements seem to have been tuned to a fine art and I haven't had traffic trouble at a Dux show for years. There is sometimes a few minutes wait arriving/leaving, but nothing major.

Where to put yourself: It really depends what you want to see and what the conditions are like. The flying is easily seen from most spots but you will probably want to put yourself at one or other end of the crowdline for a lot of taxiing, run-up, etc type ground action. Keep an eye on the wind for the day so as to have an idea of which runway direction will be in use. The crowdline is South-facing so unfortunately you'll be facing the sun for most of the day, protect your eyes, wear a hat etc.

Other tips: You will probably want to bring your own grub as the museum cafes get swamped pretty quick and the prices from the burger vans etc is always a tad high and again busy. Bringing your own saves money and valuable rivet counting time, I speak from experience.

Main advice is to take it all in and enjoy it.
      "Talking about airplanes is a very pleasant mental disease." Sergei Sikorsky

Comment

• Brenden S
        Rank 5 Registered User
        • Dec 2016

Thanks mate, being an Aussie all out our airshows are into the sun, so I am used to it. The other thing is bring plenty of water. Do you know if they have free water refill stations around at all?

Comment

• R4118
          Rank 5 Registered User
          • Aug 2015

No they charge you an extortionate amount for bottles instead

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Working...
          X