Slow news day at the Beeb?

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

18 years 2 months

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-48413109

Probably a photo of the wrong Spit in question, and I do wish journalists would desist from using the word "stunt".

Edit. The Beeb just changed the header picture. It was Carolyn Grace's Spit previously.

Steve

Original post

Member for

10 years 2 months

It's a word association thing. Journalists are drawn to similar-sounding words like "Stunt"... which quite effectively describes most BBC journalists, these days

Member for

8 years 8 months

Ultimate warbird experience the owners of the spitfire in the image have just said on Facebook that it wasnt their spitfire involved and the BBC's article has knocked their great reputation!

Not sure which spit was involved but I would put money on it being nowhere near as bad as it's been made out to be

Member for

20 years 7 months

Well regardless of whether or not it was a Spitfire something happened that needed attention .

Member for

18 years 5 months

It happened in September .and if an aircraft pases behind you its likely they had you in sight but you were not made aware so it becomes a sighting report. I had a Tornado pair do this to me when were in the C172,, saw one on one side and heard the other. Still worrying...

Member for

18 years 2 months

So the Beeb upset Ultimate Warbird Experience? The first picture was of ML407, swiftly followed by P7350, so they must have upset the BBMF too!

Member for

19 years 5 months

I see the BBC is now using a formation photo clearly marked "file".
The photo editors probably don't realize that the markings and serials represent a specific aircraft.

I have some sympathy for the Piper pilot, when I was flying a helicopter over a river (where I was supposed to be), I was very closely overtaken on the right by a larger and much faster police helicopter. Aside from not passing on the left, he didn't make his intentions known over the radio and was a bit startling.

Broadly similar to when a noisey, speeding motor bike comes out of nowhere and nearly takes your side mirror off while passing.

Member for

24 years 3 months

The article seemed to randomly load stock images each time I refreshed the article - I was waiting for a Triumph to appear...

Member for

18 years 2 months

↑↑↑↑↑ Where's the like button when you need it.

Member for

24 years 3 months

RAFRochford - bottom right of the post :D

Member for

18 years 10 months

I see the BBC is now using a formation photo clearly marked "file".
The photo editors probably don't realize that the markings and serials represent a specific aircraft.

I have some sympathy for the Piper pilot, when I was flying a helicopter over a river (where I was supposed to be), I was very closely overtaken on the right by a larger and much faster police helicopter. Aside from not passing on the left, he didn't make his intentions known over the radio and was a bit startling.

Broadly similar to when a noisey, speeding motor bike comes out of nowhere and nearly takes your side mirror off while passing.

When you're on a bike the widest point is (usually) where your hands are on the handlebars. It's quite easy to judge gaps that are 5-6in wider than the bars, even when traveling at warp factor stupid. By the time most car drivers notice the bike, the rider is already passing the next car in front of them. I've got GoPro videos taken from my bike on LA freeways that look more than a bit scary, but actually weren't at all.

Member for

14 years 5 months

I wonder whether the reporter used the word 'stunt' just to wind the aviation comminity up - it had to be said that the incident occurred 'after a stunt'.One in mid-air, no less (which I would have thought was the safest place - it's the edges that are dangerous).

Report is via this link: https://www.airproxboard.org.uk/Repo...ng-April-2019/

Strikes me that there's a little bit of exageration going on here, for whatever reasons - or the PA-28 has a very small windscreen.

The UKAB seem effectively to be saying that even though those accusing the Spitfire pilot of doing something dangerous can't agree what it was, the Spitfire should have taken action to avoid closing to 400ft, even from behind, as in the Spitfire pilot's account. Fair enough?

There's no sign of a 'stunt'.There was a roll, but the proximity 'incident' occured during a climbing turn. Perhaps the reporter was trying to invoke Shoreham.

Member for

24 years 3 months

the PA28 pilot stating that the Spitfire had passed directly in front, ‘filling the entire windscreen’ and that he could see ‘every rivet’;

:rolleyes:

Member for

19 years 5 months

Beermat...
In terms of total area, the PA-28 has a larger windscreen than a Spitfire. :)

I'm not casting aspersions it on anyone, but if the Piper pilot feels he was in danger he did right to speak up.

It's likely he thinks he's right, just as the Spitfire pilot likely feels there was no danger.
A difference of opinion. It happens.

​​Don't assume the Piper pilot is a low-time nervous Nelly and the Spitfire pilot is an infallible "air god". Let the authorities sort it out.

But let's hope everyone uses this as a "teachable moment"...and it furthers the cause of air safety.

Putting it bluntly...the warbird community and the Spitfire rides industry...can't afford a fatal mishap lest they be hit with more regulations/limitations.
(I believe that the U.K. ride business will end following the first fatal mishap.)

Media hype or not, the memory and legacy of Shoreham is out there.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Putting it bluntly...the warbird community and the Spitfire rides industry...can't afford a fatal mishap lest they be hit with more regulations/limitations.
(I believe that the U.K. ride business will end following the first fatal mishap.)

Media hype or not, the memory and legacy of Shoreham is out there.

Nowhere have I seen it written that this was a T9 Spitfire. Certainly no mention in the report.
Single seat Spitfires operate in the area as well.

Member for

19 years 5 months

I'm not suggesting it was, just making the blindingly obvious point that the Spitfire ride program would be extremely susceptible to governmental action in case of a mishap.

In other words, to most people (public, poluticians, bureaucrats, media) if some guy hurts himself in an old aeroplane that's one thing, but to injure a paying passenger is quite another. And any adverse attention to warbird operations (whether single or two seat) is best avoided.

As such, anything that improves safety (even if it turns out to be much ado about nothing...to coin a phrase) should be welcomed and not belittled or minimized.