CASA 111 Ex G-AWHB

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

7 years 2 months

Can anyone update me on the present status of this aircraft. Ex of the Southend museum it was supposedly under restoration to flying condition in Norfolk in 2003 for export to USA. I've found mention of it as owned by the Heritage Flying Museum at Washington. Looking on there website gives no mention of it.

Original post

Member for

18 years 2 months

There was a photo on the Piston Powered Warbirds page on Facebook recently of the aircraft outside the HFM hangar looking very nice, on her own legs but sans outer wings. I can't link the photo as it is closed group. Last time I saw G-AWHB was at North Weald in the 90s.

Steve

Member for

18 years 6 months

There was a photo on the Piston Powered Warbirds page on Facebook recently of the aircraft outside the HFM hangar looking very nice, on her own legs but sans outer wings. I can't link the photo as it is closed group. Last time I saw G-AWHB was at North Weald in the 90s.

Steve

The photo was of a CASA in fresh Luftwaffe paint with a Merlin hung on the mounts. One source is showing the Flying Heritage owns G-AWHB and another CASA 2.111 aircraft..

Member for

18 years 2 months

So which one was it I wonder?

Member for

9 years 6 months

I think it was said elsewhere that the pictured CASA was formerly G-AWHB. It's rumoured that the other CASA will be powered with Jumo's.

Member for

20 years 7 months

It is such a shame more weren't kept in flying condition after the BoB film .

Member for

19 years 1 month

Err, I think you'll find they all were, except G-AWHB and G-AWHA. Both were stored at Bovingdon and offered for sale. AWHB did one flight only, gear down, to West Malling after a mis-handled gear retraction and never flew again. It went there as Mahaddie had a storage agreement there with the RAF and also had his Mosquito in storage there. AWHA flew out to Germany and was alleged to have done a display whilst still airworthy before ending up in external display/storage. The Spanish machines served until about 1975 when they were offered for sale. Doug Arnold and Dolph Overton were the only takers, with two aircraft going on to the US as a result. Doug Arnold's second aircraft was tragically lost during the ferry flight from Spain, killing all of its crew. Dolph Overton's machine changed hands after auction and after a period with David Tallichet ended its days as a static exhibit with the Cavanaugh Flight Museum. Doug Arnold's first aircraft was sold to the Confederate Air Force and operated for a number of years before it too was lost in a fatal accident following engine difficulties.

Member for

6 years 2 months

Col, you need to write a book on your memoirs. Fascinating reading for armchair enthusiasts or even us former warbird engineering volunteers. Historically accurate books on the stuff you mention on this forum are sadly lacking in my humble opinion. If you and the likes of Pete Rushen, Smudge etc committed to print, it’d be unputdownable!