Spitfire TE308 is coming home

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years 8 months

She'll be joining the Biggin Hill Heritage Hangar fleet in the near future!

https://www.facebook.com/TheTwoSeatSpitfirePage/photos/a.481325015386915/1123233431196067/?type=3&theater

Original post

Member for

20 years 1 month

It will be great to see it, but one has to feel a bit sorry for Bill Greenwood, who operated it for many years, though warbird running costs began rising rapidly, becoming quite a stretch for him.

When it had the sad collision with the Hurricane in Texas in 2008, he was determined to get it back in the air, for him to fly again, but sadly, it seems that dream is now over.

https://ww2aircraft.net/forum/threads/spitfire-hurricane-ground-collision-at-galveston.13067/ (link to photos of collision )

Member for

20 years 8 months

I agree, I had always hoped he would get the Spit flying again, but at least now it will fly.

Member for

20 years 8 months

Incidentally, where did the Hurricane end up?

I had read some time ago it was coming to the UK, but I'm guessing that's not the case.

Nice to see her coming home though doesn't that mean four two seaters at Biggin? Always liked Bill, he enjoyed the aeroplane and seemed to be very generous with the back seat. Shame he has had to part with her.

According to Geoff Goodall the Hurricane is with Hawker Restorations.

Member for

20 years 1 month

As a footnote, the Hurricane lost directional control, groundlooped and swung across the runway in front of the tail-down Spitfire, giving BG little chance to see/avoid.

Member for

13 years 11 months

The Hurricane you speak of, which was owned/operated by the Lone Star Flight Museum, never went to Hawker Restorations as Goodall's site claims (and as was initially reported some years ago). It has remained at Ray Middleton's "QG Aviation" in Colorado (same place that restored it the first time, and which had also been working on TE308 all these years until now). The Hurricane is now owned by Bruce Eames/Dakota Territory Air Museum (same collection as previously named "Texas Flying Legends"), based at Minot, North Dakota, and it is expected to fly this year.

Thanks John. How far has the Spitfire progressed towards flying again?

Member for

13 years 11 months

I can't say with any certainty other than the few reports that have seeped out over the years. I seem to recall hearing that the airframe repairs were finished (the wings, for instance, were completed back in 2013) - I believe engine work had still been on-going, though, and I wonder if a new prop had been acquired yet?

Like many others here in the US, TE308 was the very first Spitfire I ever saw in person and flying. Bill Greenwood was a wonderful caretaker of that airplane for a great many years.

Member for

19 years 5 months

Good to see it go to a place where it will be appreciated, well looked after and used.
All warbirds should be so lucky.

Thanks John. I vaguely recall reading that prop blades were about £25000 each quite a few years ago - ouch!

Member for

8 years 8 months

Will be nice to see it! No doubt with her being a 2 seater she will take presidence over the single seat restorations that are currently taking place