Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canberra refurb at Samlesbury, late 1960s

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nazca_steve
    Rank 5 Registered User
    • Mar 2006

Canberra refurb at Samlesbury, late 1960s

Hello all,

I'm looking to chat with anyone that might have worked for BAC during the late '60s on Canberra refurbishment programs for foreign air forces. In particular, Canberra B.52s for the Venezeulan and Ethiopian Air Force, and the B.62 variant for the Argentine Air Force. If anyone can help, I'd be grateful!
    www.canberraexperience.com
    www.flyingstations.com
  • TwinOtter23
    NAM volunteer-Plugmeister
    • Jan 2006

If anyone from BAC visits the Canberra event at Newark Air Museum this coming Saturday I'll make them aware of your request!

http://www.newarkairmuseum.org/Museum-Events
    Find out what's happening at newarkairmuseum.org
    Please help move Chinook ZA717 to Newark Air Museum

Comment

• nazca_steve
      Rank 5 Registered User
      • Mar 2006

Cheers in advance, you never know!
      www.flyingstations.com

Comment

• TwinOtter23
        • Jan 2006

I'll see what if I can sort anything out; have you tried contacting the BAe Heritage Group? They participated in a TSR.2 event at Newark a few years back and they had good access to lots of material.

https://www.baesystems.com/en-uk/heritage

Comment

• nazca_steve
          Rank 5 Registered User
          • Mar 2006

They are great- they sent me some good stuff over the years on this topic. I'll see if they can help with the ex-workers angle too.
          www.flyingstations.com

Comment

• Steamer Ned
            Rank 5 Registered User
            • Jun 2008

In case this may be of use to you, from notes my father kept during his employment with Bristol Aeroplane Company/British Aircraft Corporation/British Aerospace at Filton: 'Between 1961 and 1963, 49 ex-RAF Canberra B.6 aircraft were refurbished as B.15, for export to Argentina, Chile, Ethiopia, India, South Africa and Venezuela'.

SN

Comment

• nazca_steve
              Rank 5 Registered User
              • Mar 2006

Hi Ned,
              That sounds like the material I'm after, although some of those customers (namely Argentina, Chile and Ethiopia) came from the 1967-1982 period. And several other marks were involved aside from the B.6. The Ethiopian deal, which is the one I'm focusing on more at the moment, was confirmed in 1967 and the four Canberras were delivered in late 1968. Would your father still been at BAC then, and in what capacity did he work for them?
              www.flyingstations.com

Comment

• scotavia
                scotavia
                • Nov 2005

The Daily Express and Mail did run photo feature articles on Canberra refurbs, i recall a pic of at least 20 Canberras still in RAF assorted markings on Salmesbury airfield and this was by a press photog, there might be more?

Comment

• nazca_steve
                  Rank 5 Registered User
                  • Mar 2006

Would be nice to find that pic! But from what I've read, due to the political sensitivity surrounding the Ethiopian sale, very little photography seems to have been taken. BAC were under orders not to make a fuss about the sale, and they were purposely kept out of the SBAC air show for that reason. A real shame as it seems so little knowledge around them exists.
                  www.flyingstations.com

Comment

• Steamer Ned
                    Rank 5 Registered User
                    • Jun 2008

Steve, re your post #7, my father kept notes of some significant events that occurred at Filton, during his time (1935-68) at the Bristol Aeroplane Company and its successors, whilst actually working for the Aero-Engine Division, latterly in Flight Test Development. Apart from the words I posted, there was no more about the Canberra refurbishment work. The archives of the Bristol Aero Collection, now housed at the Aerospace Bristol museum, might perhaps have some more details.

Ned

Comment

• TwinOtter23
                      • Jan 2006

Hello again NS, unfortunately I was not able to establish any firm contacts for you yesterday. I did chat with a gentleman from the north west who was working on a Canberra rebuild project, which I believe may be for the BAe Heritage Team. He was a last minute addition to the hangar displays at Newark, but was not familiar with the Ethiopian Canberras; he may be returning for Cockpit-Fest next month and I'll try to have more of a chat.

Later next week I'll try and have a check in the Peter Green research files that are now housed in the NAM Archive. I did check them a while back for another Canberra enquiry but I don't recall anything specific to those airframes; sadly his photographic collection was disposed of elsewhere!

Regards,
                      TO23

Comment

• nazca_steve
                        Rank 5 Registered User
                        • Mar 2006

Originally posted by TwinOtter23 View Post
                        Hello again NS, unfortunately I was not able to establish any firm contacts for you yesterday. I did chat with a gentleman from the north west who was working on a Canberra rebuild project, which I believe may be for the BAe Heritage Team. He was a last minute addition to the hangar displays at Newark, but was not familiar with the Ethiopian Canberras; he may be returning for Cockpit-Fest next month and I'll try to have more of a chat.

Later next week I'll try and have a check in the Peter Green research files that are now housed in the NAM Archive. I did check them a while back for another Canberra enquiry but I don't recall anything specific to those airframes; sadly his photographic collection was disposed of elsewhere!

Regards,
                        TO23
                        Hi TO23,

Thanks for looking into it regardless. I've been in touch with the BAe Heritage team again on this topic and they say they have a possible contact. But if you do hear anything in the meantime or come across anything in the NAM archive, that's great. As I said, this is a rather obscure topic where it seems little material exists or was purposely removed or limited at the time for political reasons. But you never know what might turn up!
                        www.flyingstations.com

Comment

• TwinOtter23
                          • Jan 2006

Despite more upsetting Canberra matters getting in the way on Saturday, I did manage to check the Peter Green Research Files in the NAM archive but there was nothing immediately obvious in relation to Ethiopian Canberras - sorry!

Comment

• Thunderbird167
                            607 Squadron & NELSAM
                            • Sep 2005

There are two files at the National Archive FCO 39/177 and FCO 39/71 which relate to the sales to Ethiopia of Canberra aircraft

Perhaps someone could have a look at them for you
                            Dave Charles
                            Historian 607 (County of Durham) Squadron
                            Chair North East Land Sea Air Museums (NELSAM)

Comment

• nazca_steve
                              Rank 5 Registered User
                              • Mar 2006

Good find, Thunderbird, I actually bought them both over the last couple of years and learned a lot from them. They have formed a good chunk of the early material of the book I'm working on.
                              www.flyingstations.com

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Working...
                              X