Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WWII Typhoon Seat Conversion

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • flyingblind
    Rank 5 Registered User
    • Oct 2011

WWII Typhoon Seat Conversion

I've been looking for a Typhoon/Tempest seat for some considerable time without success. I'm now having to think out of the box and would like to know if any members have ever 'converted' a seat such as the ones fitted to Meteors. The're obviously similar to Hurricane seats which were similar to Typhoon/Tempest seats. Any thoughts from members on what would be the best way to achieve this in the absence of plans relating to the Typhoon seat. Apologies to the Meteor guys for even thinking of such sacrilege but unless someone has a spare Typhoon seat, I'm stuck unless anyone knows of another alternative
    Attached Files
  • Anon
    Mike Davey
    • Jan 2008

Too many Meteor trainers have lost their seats to Hawker-based restorations so, personally, I frown on the practice. OK, if the seat is surplus then, by all means, it's the way to go but for museums and others to rob them from otherwise complete cockpits for short-term gain just leaves future Meteor owners with a big problem.

I have such a T.7, which was robbed of its stick tops and seats by the last-but one-owner. And I know of others too.

Surely, if owners and restorers are pouring tens or hundreds of thousands of pounds into a Hurricane rebuild, then it wouldn't be too much of a financial or technical challenge to make a new seat?

Anon.
    Last edited by Anon; 7th April 2019, 16:26.

Comment

• flyingblind
      Rank 5 Registered User
      • Oct 2011

Anon
      I'd prefer not to use any original seat but its the easiest alternative. Has anyone got any plans as to how a Typhoon seat is constructed to see if there is a possibility of producing a replica seat. I'm certainly aware of someone who produces replica Hurricane seats so would it be that much extra effort to produce a Typhoon one

Comment

• flyingblind
        Rank 5 Registered User
        • Oct 2011

These are the only decent images of a Tempest seat that I've managed to find to date.
        Attached Files

Comment

• Blue_2
          Meteor spanner monkey...
          • Feb 2010

I have to completely agree with Mike (Anon). Enough Meteor T and NF's have been pillaged of their seats for Hawker products. There's plenty of them out there with restorers now screaming for seats, the TT20 and NF14 at East Mids for example. 788 has been incredibly lucky...
          looking at the seats it's not like they are a complex or difficult thing for a restorer to fabricate.
          Restoring Meteor NF.14 WS788, one rusty nail at a time...

Comment

• TempestV
            Rank 5 Registered User
            • Dec 2003

I completely agree that Meteors have been the unfortunate source for many "Hawker" based cockpit projects seats.
            As there is clearly a need for this Tempest/Typhoon seat it really would benefit all of the projects to group together and get a small batch made.
            I've seen a couple of these sprung backed seats around that could be measured and used to create drawings from.
            PM me if anyone is interested, and let's see what numbers are possible?

Comment

• QldSpitty
              Rank 5 Registered User
              • Apr 2006

There was someone remaking Tuffnol Spitfire seats in Carbon Fibre.
              "If the C.O. ask's you to be Tail End Charlie...just shoot him!!!....A Piece of Cake.
              http://spitfirea58-27.blogspot.com.au/

Comment

• flyingblind
                Rank 5 Registered User
                • Oct 2011

Tempest V.
                PM sent. Many thanks

Comment

• seafurysith
                  Rank 5 Registered User
                  • Oct 2014

I have a genuine seat from a Hawker Sea Fury which is similar, I have had it for a while now as I had plans to incorporate it in a reproduction cockpit but advancing years and a recent stroke mean that this may never happen now so may be persuaded to part with it!?

Comment

• windhover
                    Rank 5 Registered User
                    • Jan 2014

All early Typhoons were fitted with a standard Mk.1 Pilot seat.
                    The Meteor variant Mk.1 seat is incompatible with the Hurricane/Typhoon seat mounting cross-tube due to the two larger cast seat mounting inserts (Arrowed) riveted to the inner sides of the seat being of a smaller diameter thread.
                    The larger cast seat mounting inserts comprise two parts; the larger outer casting is threaded internally, and riveted to the outside face of the seat side panel; and the smaller externally-threaded casting is screwed into the outer casting from the inside face of the side seat panel. The assembly is then riveted with round-headed rivets; inserted through the larger outer casting, and formed into the countersink holes in the smaller externally-threaded inner casting.
                    These cannot be modified to mount the seat to the frame support unless they are replaced with the correct diameter threaded seat inserts.

Comment

• flyingblind
                      Rank 5 Registered User
                      • Oct 2011

Hi Seafurysith
                      PM Sent

Comment

• TempestV
                        Rank 5 Registered User
                        • Dec 2003

Originally posted by flyingblind View Post
                        Tempest V.
                        PM sent. Many thanks
                        Hi flyingblind,
                        I didn't receive any PM from you. I guess it's the "new" forum gremlins.

Comment

• flyingblind
                          Rank 5 Registered User
                          • Oct 2011

Hi Tempest V
                          Have tried again. If not received then let me know and will have to try plan B

Comment

• H.M.S Vulture
                            Griffon74@Btinternet.com
                            • Jul 2003

Hi Seafurysith
                            PM Sent
                            WANTED FAIREY FIREFLY parts!
                            Griffon74@btinternet.com

Comment

• Fournier Boy
                              Rank 5 Registered User
                              • Mar 2007

The Spitfire AA810 project have announced this morning that in partnership with Kennet Aviation and Tufnol Composites that a new production run of airworthy phenolic resin and paper Spitfire Seats is to commence. Can only be good news for the industry!

FB

Comment

• Seaflight
                                Rank 5 Registered User
                                • Aug 2015

Click image for larger version

Name:	61614637-CFBD-465A-938B-A0E981151AB5.jpeg
Views:	231
Size:	267.0 KB
ID:	3860040 Sanders has made 10 new ones recently

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget