WWII Typhoon Seat Conversion

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

12 years 5 months

I've been looking for a Typhoon/Tempest seat for some considerable time without success. I'm now having to think out of the box and would like to know if any members have ever 'converted' a seat such as the ones fitted to Meteors. The're obviously similar to Hurricane seats which were similar to Typhoon/Tempest seats. Any thoughts from members on what would be the best way to achieve this in the absence of plans relating to the Typhoon seat. Apologies to the Meteor guys for even thinking of such sacrilege but unless someone has a spare Typhoon seat, I'm stuck unless anyone knows of another alternative

Attachments
Original post

Member for

16 years 2 months

Too many Meteor trainers have lost their seats to Hawker-based restorations so, personally, I frown on the practice. OK, if the seat is surplus then, by all means, it's the way to go but for museums and others to rob them from otherwise complete cockpits for short-term gain just leaves future Meteor owners with a big problem.

I have such a T.7, which was robbed of its stick tops and seats by the last-but one-owner. And I know of others too.

Surely, if owners and restorers are pouring tens or hundreds of thousands of pounds into a Hurricane rebuild, then it wouldn't be too much of a financial or technical challenge to make a new seat?

Anon.

Member for

12 years 5 months

Anon
I'd prefer not to use any original seat but its the easiest alternative. Has anyone got any plans as to how a Typhoon seat is constructed to see if there is a possibility of producing a replica seat. I'm certainly aware of someone who produces replica Hurricane seats so would it be that much extra effort to produce a Typhoon one

Member for

12 years 5 months

These are the only decent images of a Tempest seat that I've managed to find to date.

Attachments

Member for

14 years 1 month

I have to completely agree with Mike (Anon). Enough Meteor T and NF's have been pillaged of their seats for Hawker products. There's plenty of them out there with restorers now screaming for seats, the TT20 and NF14 at East Mids for example. 788 has been incredibly lucky...
looking at the seats it's not like they are a complex or difficult thing for a restorer to fabricate.

Member for

20 years 3 months

I completely agree that Meteors have been the unfortunate source for many "Hawker" based cockpit projects seats.
As there is clearly a need for this Tempest/Typhoon seat it really would benefit all of the projects to group together and get a small batch made.
I've seen a couple of these sprung backed seats around that could be measured and used to create drawings from.
PM me if anyone is interested, and let's see what numbers are possible?

Member for

17 years 11 months

There was someone remaking Tuffnol Spitfire seats in Carbon Fibre.

Member for

12 years 5 months

Tempest V.
PM sent. Many thanks

Member for

9 years 5 months

I have a genuine seat from a Hawker Sea Fury which is similar, I have had it for a while now as I had plans to incorporate it in a reproduction cockpit but advancing years and a recent stroke mean that this may never happen now so may be persuaded to part with it!?

Member for

20 years 3 months

Tempest V.
PM sent. Many thanks

Hi flyingblind,
I didn't receive any PM from you. I guess it's the "new" forum gremlins.

Member for

12 years 5 months

Hi Tempest V
Have tried again. If not received then let me know and will have to try plan B

Member for

17 years

The Spitfire AA810 project have announced this morning that in partnership with Kennet Aviation and Tufnol Composites that a new production run of airworthy phenolic resin and paper Spitfire Seats is to commence. Can only be good news for the industry!

FB

Member for

8 years 7 months

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"medium","data-attachmentid":3860040}[/ATTACH] Sanders has made 10 new ones recently

Attachments