C-47 FZ668

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

7 years 3 months

Hi all, as some of you are aware Mikey McByan from Buffalo airways is going to get C-47 FZ668 airworthy for D-Day on the 6th June this year. He still does not have any photos of this historic Dak. Does anyone have any photos of this aircraft during the war at all?

FYI here is a link to the Sunday live show
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7EqsQwQIl8

Original post

Member for

13 years

While I know I cannot help, thought it might help focus the search if more was known about the units, bases and dates for FZ668 military service.

First resource to help with Dakota histories just has to be the 3 volume tome: The First Seventy Years, Jennifer Gradidge, Air Britain 2006. In outline terms I find that we are looking for:

Douglas C-47A-DK, constructed by Douglas Oklahoma City Factory with C/no. 12253, built as USAAF 42-92451, handed over 24 Jan 1944.
As FZ668 at RAF Montreal 04 Feb 44
271 Sqdn in UK 26 Feb 44
187 Sqdn 09 Feb 46
525 Sqdn 14 Mar 46
22 MU 24 Apr 46 (RAF Silloth)
Canadair Ltd 17 Jul 46
CF-TER Trans Canada (fleet nos 90/390) 03 Apr 47
CF-DTD Department of Transport, Ottawa regd 17 Jun 58
CF-DTD Rr (Jun 76)
Std. Foundation Aerovision Canada, St Hubert, PQ Regd 06 Jul 93
Quebec Air & Space Museum, St Hubert, PQ 1996

The essential line in the search for a helpful photo is that in June 1944 she was allocated to 271 Sqdn., operational at RAF Down Ampney with code YS-plus individual letters. With 271 Sqdn at the heart of preparation and participation of the Normandy landings (June 44) Arnhem (Sept 44) and Rhine Crossing (Mar 45) it is clear why getting this particular Dakota airborne for the June 2019 75th commemoration is so important. In Aug 45 271 Sqdn moved to Odiham tasked with repatriation of English PoW amongst routine transport duties.

There must have been considerable research into 271 Sqdn colours and markings undertaken by those seeking the correct details of Flt Lt Lord, DFC, VC's aircraft at the time of Market Garden eg for the BBMF.

Good luck to all concerned and hopefully we will see the results of both the rebuild and research into markings/colours in the air (erroneous references to Europe and Duxford removed) .

Member for

24 years 2 months

There is no plan for the machine to go to Duxford. Its purely to gey it flying on that date.

Member for

14 years

I think the target (in terms of displays) is Oshkosh. Mikey was clear from Day 1 that the target isn't Duxford but to get 'DTD airborne by/on 6th June.

Member for

13 years

My mistake and presumption. I've now taken that line out of my post, doesn't alter the significance of that particular airframe though.

Member for

7 years 3 months

I did when I figured out how to do it. I was clicking on the wrong link!:stupid:

Member for

7 years 3 months

Here is an update.
SQN crew list - I wonder if anyone on here can get in touch with the families? Or Flypast jumps on to help with a nice article in the next edition of the magzine.
https://www.planesavers.com/index.php/our-dc-3/lest-we-forget?fbclid=IwAR2TwtUaef9QR9TNM7bMnj5xwOdEi-XQxYwHw3-HapbFATz0Zw-OB7O5tbs

Up to 112 continuous episodes on youtube now. Engines are on, avionic repairs are coming along and on the weekend power was put onto the aircraft for the first time in 27 years.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvFNTUDikuXwaoFE45bq4Xg