Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

618Sq Mosquito Highball set up

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (0 members and 2 guests)
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • powerandpassion
    Never Be Afraid to Ask
    • Jul 2012

618Sq Mosquito Highball set up

Does anyone have drawings or detail photos of Highball setup for 618 Sq Mosquitos? Parts in pictures were found in Narromine NSW Australia where 618 Sq Mosquitos were disposed off, generally to local farmers, after 1945. These parts have no dH 98 part numbers, but have timber components, madoplam covering, paint scheme and context of location to be 618 Sq Mosquito material. It would be ideal to match these components to drawings or pictures to confirm this.
  • powerandpassion
    Never Be Afraid to Ask
    • Jul 2012

These are handed arm assemblies, definitely not tailwheel towing arms. There is an adjustable fitting that looks like a steady for a flange. They are handed in that they bend out in opposite directions, so either port & starboard or fore and aft. May be ground handling equipment? Torpedo equipment?

Comment

• powerandpassion
      Never Be Afraid to Ask
      • Jul 2012

Sorry, photos exceed upload limit - have to resize and post later. Frustrating.

Comment

• Kenbo
        Professional plot loser..
        • Nov 2005

Click on your user profile up in the RH corner and delete some of your old uploads/pictures ☺
        This week i av' been mostly eatin' biscuits!

Comment

• powerandpassion
          Never Be Afraid to Ask
          • Jul 2012

My guess is that this is the arrestor hook retaining mechanism. It has DH98 numbers on it, so maybe commonality with Sea Mosquito ? It looks like it is mounted externally, under the fuselage at the tail section, given the curvature of the attached timber fuselage remains. It has a wire pull to actuate - not sure how the arrestor hook was deployed by the pilot.

Comment

• powerandpassion
            Never Be Afraid to Ask
            • Jul 2012

The dataplate on this piece says Arrestor Hook Damper.

Comment

• powerandpassion
              Never Be Afraid to Ask
              • Jul 2012

These are not tailwheel towing arms, this is definitely established They are handed, so either port and starboard, or fore and aft. They have what look like 'steady fittings' that engage with a rim or edge. No DH numbers. This may be ground handling equipment ? Not sure how Highballs lifted and fitted into aircraft.

Comment

• powerandpassion
                Never Be Afraid to Ask
                • Jul 2012

These are hatch openings. I understand that 618 Sq Mosquitos had the usual side hatch at rear fuselage closed over, and two fuselage strakes were fitted, as well as an extra bulkhead at rear, to cope with deck landings. Accordingly, an access hatch was fitted underneath. These two hatches look like they may be two versions of the same thing, with a small and large opening. The hatches were anchored on piano hinges are are long gone, presumably made of timber. There are no DH 98 numbers. There is a pencil mark '554' on panel and 'Starboard' engraved on one piano hinge.

Comment

• scotavia
                  scotavia
                  • Nov 2005

See last letter in this thread , which shows DZ554 as Highball Mossie sent to OZ....https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/...-in-australia/ I have handled several mil aircraft parts where last 3 of serial where roughly marked on parts. A crumpled engine cowling from a Beaufighter crash site on Islay had the entire serial daubed on the inside and others from the same site where the serial was neatly stencilled.

Comment

• powerandpassion
                    Never Be Afraid to Ask
                    • Jul 2012

Scotavia, thanks for a great link and a great link to the pencilled number! I have seen crude ID markings on removable fairing on British aircraft a number of times, so it makes good sense. I believe the Pacific service colouring underneath, based on dozens of seperate observations was PR Blue. If I was coming in low against the sky and facing ships guns, I would want PR Blue under me!

Comment

• Graham Boak
                      Rank 5 Registered User
                      • Nov 2008

I agree that it was PRU Blue, but am not so sure about the desirability. From a ship, an aircraft will stand out as a dark object against a light background. The best camouflage is going to be something light. There were trials using an Avenger with lights on all forward facing surfaces, and that was the best of all - but a little impractical.

Comment

• currawong
                        Rank 5 Registered User
                        • Apr 2012

"Parts in pictures were found in Narromine NSW Australia"

I lived and worked in this area in the 90's. On the property where I stayed there were components lying around, fittings and hardware lying in the dirt, ex Mosquito. The airfield where I worked was a satellite/dispersal airfield to Narromine, the revetments complete with camouflage netting persisted into the sixties.
                        Last edited by currawong; 27th March 2019, 11:34.

Comment

• powerandpassion
                          Never Be Afraid to Ask
                          • Jul 2012

GB, thank you for confirming PR Blue undersides and the interesting Avenger story! For the sake of a future searcher I might load a few PR Blue component images to provide a definitive record. Also there are fabric remains in aluminium finish, so I believe the Pacific scheme in 1945 was silver up top, PR Blue underwear. Currawong, very interesting story, particularly about the revetments lasting into the 60s, will PM to try and get more details.

Comment

• skyskooter
                            Rank 5 Registered User
                            • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Graham Boak View Post
                            There were trials using an Avenger with lights on all forward facing surfaces, and that was the best of all - but a little impractical.
                            Have a look at Yehudi Lights on Wiki.

Comment

• powerandpassion
                              Never Be Afraid to Ask
                              • Jul 2012

Here are some steel brackets, presumably to anchor Highball cradle in bomb bay or to anchor end of tail hook.

Comment

• powerandpassion
                                Never Be Afraid to Ask
                                • Jul 2012

These are images, for the record, of PR Blue paint finish on various components, so future modellers can get it right. I cannot see evidence of earth brown-green under the blue, just red dope. I am forming the impression that 618 Sq Mosquitos were given a major overhaul in the UK before being shipped, with all old paint being stripped off, and even new fabric doped on.

First image is a Flap Hinge bracket, exposed to paint spray in the gap between Wing and timber Flap.

Comment

• powerandpassion
                                  Never Be Afraid to Ask
                                  • Jul 2012

This is the Aileron Gearbox, again PR Blue paint overspray in the section exposed between Wing and Metal Aileron. So the Wing undersides were PR Blue.

Comment

• powerandpassion
                                    Never Be Afraid to Ask
                                    • Jul 2012

This is the Rear Spar, looking from inside the bomb bay. PR Blue underside to spar, so Wing undersides were PR Blue.

Comment

• powerandpassion
                                      Never Be Afraid to Ask
                                      • Jul 2012

This is the removable Access Panel for Jacking Point on the Engine nascelle, with a delightful aircraft ID pencilled on, as was the way, it seems, with 618 Sq Fitters : DZ 651. So this is a confirmation that this aircraft had PR Blue engine nascelles.

Comment

• powerandpassion
                                        Never Be Afraid to Ask
                                        • Jul 2012

Kindly supplied by Nicko and the Camden Museum of Aviation in NSW are these Highball setup remains, which establish some of the context of the steel brackets in post #15.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Working...
                                        X