HARS Aviation Museum Lockheed Neptune A89-273 took to the skies again

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

5 years 3 months

Lockheed Neptune A89-273 took to the skies again 13 March 2019 after an extended period of maintenance, and made her first flight in well over a year.

More information about HARS Aviation Museum
Original post

Member for

17 years 11 months

Wonderful to see one flying again.

Member for

6 years 1 month

First time I’ve seen one flying and always liked the type.

Member for

19 years 5 months

One of my favorite types. As a kid I had an old Lockheed PR photo of one in my room (something my dad brought back from his time at a Lockhed training course).

I'm the U.S., Erickson has a stock (not a fire bombrr) example in USN colours that they fly very occasionally.

Member for

15 years 5 months

I used to see these (USNavy) at Blackbushe back in the 50s.

Member for

24 years 2 months

Yes indeed, Blackbushe was the place to go to see these beasts in the UK.

Member for

16 years 2 months

I've never seen or heard one fly, and have always very much liked the type, so great to see the vid (headphones on with volume at max mandatory!).

This two-and-a-half minutes of footage belies the effort that must have gone on behind the scened to get this old "warbird" in the air. With its superb modern lines (even though the design is around 70 years old) the Neptune is a large aeroplane and it is a tribute to the skill, money and dedication of its owners that we are treated to a sight such as this.

Much appreciated. Thank you. :cool:

Anon (big round-piston-engine fan).

Member for

7 years 3 months

It was great many years ago when they had the 2 Neptunes airworthy. The French one VH-LRR is currently undergoing some maintenance.

Member for

20 years 4 months

Thanks for sharing that, looks good and sounds even better! Does anyone know if the jets are operational? Or are they sticking to pure piston power?

Member for

7 years 3 months

Yes the jets are operational.

Member for

17 years 8 months

I was fortunate to see one RAF Neptune fly over RAF Newton at the Open day show in 1954 and I encountered a French Navy example when our Canberra parked alongside it, at Luqa Malta in 1961.

John