Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another tailwheel to identify

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aeronut 2008
    Rank 5 Registered User
    • Jan 2008

Another tailwheel to identify

Well two identical ones actually.
    The revamp of the museum at Middle Wallop has required an awful lot of 'Shifting and lifting' and sorting out of rarely visited storage cubbyholes, with the result that items that have been stored for decades are seeing the light of day; some are proving hard to identify.
    These two tailwheels are a case in point, they don't fit any of the gliders and they are too big for the Austers. However, they could belong to aircraft based at Wallop in the early days but for that identification I trust the forum 'hive mind' to have the answer.
    I cannot find any numbers on the hubs so I'm afraid its just the tyre size and a photo for you to identify.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0488.JPG
Views:	182
Size:	290.1 KB
ID:	3852918

Name:	IMG_0481.JPG
Views:	176
Size:	352.2 KB
ID:	3852919

Name:	IMG_0482.JPG
Views:	175
Size:	247.3 KB
ID:	3852920
  • ericmunk
    Rank 5 Registered User
    • Apr 2009

Numbers would be great to identify. However, tyre size 4.00 x 3 1/2 was used on a wide range of aircraft, including Anson. 4.95 x 3 1/2 was used on Proctor and many many others.Hubs however look a bit 1950s and may have been manufactured for use in gliders. 4.00 x 3 1/2 was main wheel for Slingsby Cadet/Tutor/Tandem Tutor/Prefect/Sky and many others. 4.95 x 3 1/2 is the mainwheel of most marks of Skylark I believe, and should be others too.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Working...
    X