Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Napier-Heston J.5 question !

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • topspeed
    Get on uppah !
    • Jan 2009
    • 2524

    Napier-Heston J.5 question !

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Napier-Heston_Racer

    I have developed similar material spar structure for a wind turbine ( VAWT ) . I wonder if the Napier-Heston plans are still somewhere ?
    Last edited by topspeed; 14th February 2019, 08:33.
    If it looks good, it will fly good !
    -Bill Lear & Marcel Dassault


    http://max3fan.blogspot.com/
  • topspeed
    Get on uppah !
    • Jan 2009
    • 2524

    #2
    I just found this link; http://www.air-racing-history.com/ai...on%20Racer.htm
    If it looks good, it will fly good !
    -Bill Lear & Marcel Dassault


    http://max3fan.blogspot.com/

    Comment

    • topspeed
      Get on uppah !
      • Jan 2009
      • 2524

      #3
      Seems to me that Heston Aircraft no longer exists...or they have moved and downsized.

      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heston_Aircraft_Company

      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heston_Aerodrome
      If it looks good, it will fly good !
      -Bill Lear & Marcel Dassault


      http://max3fan.blogspot.com/

      Comment

      • sopwith.7f1
        Rank 5 Registered User
        • Jan 2011
        • 1139

        #4
        If memory serves me correctly, Tim Moore of Skysport, was looking into building a replica, but unfortunately, he couldn't find anyone to fund the build.

        Bob T

        Comment

        • topspeed
          Get on uppah !
          • Jan 2009
          • 2524

          #5
          Originally posted by sopwith.7f1 View Post
          If memory serves me correctly, Tim Moore of Skysport, was looking into building a replica, but unfortunately, he couldn't find anyone to fund the build.

          Bob T
          Great info Bob T,

          If Tim Moore is reading this ( or reachable via you ) tell him that I have managed to produce 1400 kg/m3 dense wood composite with fairly simple method ( 2015-2017 ). Wood composite is lot stronger than aluminium...and some even as strong as steel...and 1/6th of the weight.

          https://newatlas.com/super-wood-stronger-steel/53307/
          Last edited by topspeed; 14th February 2019, 09:50.
          If it looks good, it will fly good !
          -Bill Lear & Marcel Dassault


          http://max3fan.blogspot.com/

          Comment

          • Sabrejet
            Rank 5 Registered User
            • Mar 2010
            • 1657

            #6
            Originally posted by topspeed View Post

            Great info Bob T,

            If Tim Moore is reading this ( or reachable via you ) tell him that I have managed to produce 1400 kg/m3 dense wood composite with fairly simple method ( 2015-2017 ). Wood composite is lot stronger than aluminium...and some even as strong as steel...and 1/6th of the weight.

            https://newatlas.com/super-wood-stronger-steel/53307/
            Wood has been used as a composite in motorsport for many years - the trade name 'Mallite' was used in a number of moncoque applications in the same way as it was on the DH Mosquito.

            Comment

            • topspeed
              Get on uppah !
              • Jan 2009
              • 2524

              #7
              Originally posted by Sabrejet View Post

              Wood has been used as a composite in motorsport for many years - the trade name 'Mallite' was used in a number of moncoque applications in the same way as it was on the DH Mosquito.
              Mallite and Dh Mosquito composite is different..those are not compressed in high heat. Howard Hughes did use some compression in the HK-1 birch wood sheets. It was called Duramold; https://www.buildtheenterprise.org/t...site-aircraft/
              If it looks good, it will fly good !
              -Bill Lear & Marcel Dassault


              http://max3fan.blogspot.com/

              Comment

              • DH82EH
                Rank 5 Registered User
                • Jan 2013
                • 488

                #8
                Aren't Jablo propeller blades an example of this type of technology?

                Andy

                Comment

                • topspeed
                  Get on uppah !
                  • Jan 2009
                  • 2524

                  #9
                  Originally posted by DH82EH View Post
                  Aren't Jablo propeller blades an example of this type of technology?

                  Andy
                  These are similar yes...and relatively easy to make in a mold ( I assume ); https://www.mt-propeller.com/en/entw/pro_blades.htm

                  Also the newly restored Twin Mustang has those !

                  Usually word compreg is mentioned if it is compressed instead of just laminated.

                  Compreg comes from impregnated and compressed; https://www.jstor.org/stable/4446794...n_tab_contents
                  Last edited by topspeed; 14th February 2019, 14:14.
                  If it looks good, it will fly good !
                  -Bill Lear & Marcel Dassault


                  http://max3fan.blogspot.com/

                  Comment

                  Unconfigured Ad Widget

                  Collapse

                   

                  Working...
                  X