A-20 found in the Gulf of Finland.

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

15 years 2 months

Apparently deep; https://yle.fi/uutiset/3-9607944?fbclid=IwAR1fYYE8YxpQng4aON_FCYV43eNv0vaVPrfrZaKmOcOsvw0vC5pCGpZlkZM

Original post

Member for

15 years 2 months

Finns have no claims on it...it seems to be Russian property.

Member for

16 years 8 months

Think 30 metres was mentioned ?That's not so deep these days,on air you have about 9 minutes without decompression.

Profile picture for user 1batfastard

Member for

11 years 2 months

Hi All,
Thought I would ask Google translate for some help............;)

Headlines :- Bombs found intact from the sea are neither raised nor protected - it's too deep and Russian

What is it about? • An exceptionally good bomber wreck was found in Finland last year • The machine is estimated to have fallen during World War II • The wreck is located in international waters, which is why Finland does not control or protect it • It is not up to these wrecks to be lifted up.

The National Board of Antiquities estimates that explosives that may have been present in the bomber may have remained operational until these days.
[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"13-3-9604832.jpg","data-attachmentid":3850976}[/ATTACH]
The bomber is located at a depth of one hundred meters.

A bomber that is resting in the western Gulf of Finland and found to be intact can stay in these prospects. The Aviation Museum has no plans to lift the wreck, and according to the National Board of Antiquities, the wreck is not the responsibility of Finland. The wreck is very deep and far. It is in the Finnish EEZ, but it is an international water area and Finland does not protect and control cultural heritage there, says Maija Matikka, an expert in underwater cultural heritage, from the National Board of Antiquities.

On Wednesday, Yle Uutiset said that an exceptionally well-preserved bomber has been found at a depth of about one hundred meters from the western part of the Gulf of Finland. It is an American-made Douglas DB-7 Boston / A-20 Havoc aircraft. Allies, including the Soviet Union, used them in World War II. In practice, the wreck is currently tricky for anyone. Basically this is the case. If someone else would locate the object and go and damage it, we have no right to intervene with punishment. The wreck is the responsibility of the country that owns it, and the machine is connected to Russia, says Matikka.

Did I shoot down? According to Matika, the wreck of the airplane is so young that it would not be covered by the protection of the Antiquities Act in Finnish waters. - It's not your ancestry because it's less than a hundred years old. However, it is a war history that has touched all people in the Baltic Sea region. That is why it should be valued as a research subject, Matikka hopes.

The wreck was discovered when a new environmental pipeline on the Nord Stream pipeline planned for the Baltic Sea was investigated for various environmental risks that the pipeline could possibly cause. The machine has been estimated to have joined the war in the early 1940s, but no further explanation of this has been made. There is no information on whether the machine was shot down or dropped in its own time.

It has not been seen as close to the trace or damage of the projectile. I would think that enthusiasts in the field will be interested in this and will soon begin to come up with hypotheses and estimates, even with the date accuracy, when and how the machine has fallen there.

The wreck may have explosives. Keeping an airplane intact from a drop to the seabed is rare, but the water in the Baltic Sea treats the ingested objects gently. - Wood and metal are well preserved in the Baltic Sea. In cold, low-salt water and darkness much better than dry land or inside the earth. It is possible that the remains of the plane pilot are still in the wreck. It is also possible that there are unexploded bombs. For decades, explosives on the seabed may be explosive. The civilian should never go to the ammunition found in the water or go near them.

Nord Stream 2 has not studied the machine since last year because the wreck is outside the pipeline area. On both sides of the pipeline installation corridor, there will be nearly 30-meter wide safety corridors that will clear any munitions. If there are explosives in the wreck, they will not pose a risk or affect the construction of the pipeline or its use in time, says Minna Sundelin, stakeholder relations manager.

Article courtesy of:- Satu Krautsuk for http://yle.fi/uutiset/3-9607944?fbclid=IwAR1fYYE8YxpQng4aON_FCYV43eNv0vaVPrfrZaKmOcOsvw0vC5pCGpZlkZM

Geoff.

Attachments

Member for

15 years 2 months

It's kinda like still in finnish waters...but too young for the historic society and apparently russian...Boston/Havoc bomber. 100 meters deep is not impossible ?

Maybe there could be a american-finnish team to get it up....if russians allow and then restore it and keep it in a museum here..unless russians want to restore it ?

I cannot recall who shot it down, but I figure few Bostons were used for recce and shot down by finns...or a finn ( flying Me-109 G6 ). I have to check who.

They suspect it was in a bomb load...I bet it wasn't. Also crew maybe still inside they suspect at Yle News.( I suspect that too ..they would have hit the raft ).

Member for

20 years 2 months

Old news.... The article dates from May 2017 !!

Member for

20 years 3 months

The story of this A-20 has been widely published in Finland already long time ago (well, over a year ago). The aircraft is an A-20G-20-DO, USAAF serial 42-86826,obviously supplied to Soviet Union as a lend-lease airplane. With the Soviets it got tactical number 24 and was based at Klopitsy Air Base in the Leningrad region. The Havoc was shot down while attacking German cargo ship M/S Moltkefels on 18 September 1944. The ship was on its way to Tallinn to pick up German troops in order to transport them to Riga. The aircraft was hit by AA fire, either from M/S Molkefels, or the mine sweeper which was accompanying it. The A-20 took hits in both engines, and its pilot (Junior Lt. Gusman Miftahudinov) made a succesful forced landing on the sea. Navigator Yuri Aksenov was not injured, and was able to launch their dinghy and help the injured machine gunner/radio operator Gleb Lokalov and the pilot on board. The crew spent seven days on the dinghy, before being rescued by Finnish Coast Guard on 25 September in the archipelago of Aland. Finland had already ceased hostilities with Soviet Union, so the crew did not become POWs, but were returned home. However, all three were killed in action at later stages of the war. The pilot was oldest of the three, he was 21 years of age. Lokalov was born in 1925, so was about 18 or 19 years, Aksenov was 17 or 18, born in 1926. Makes you think, doesn't it?

Member for

5 years 6 months

Makes you think, doesn't it?

It certainly does.

Member for

15 years 2 months

The story of this A-20 has been widely published in Finland already long time ago (well, over a year ago). The aircraft is an A-20G-20-DO, USAAF serial 42-86826,obviously supplied to Soviet Union as a lend-lease airplane. With the Soviets it got tactical number 24 and was based at Klopitsy Air Base in the Leningrad region. The Havoc was shot down while attacking German cargo ship M/S Moltkefels on 18 September 1944. The ship was on its way to Tallinn to pick up German troops in order to transport them to Riga. The aircraft was hit by AA fire, either from M/S Molkefels, or the mine sweeper which was accompanying it. The A-20 took hits in both engines, and its pilot (Junior Lt. Gusman Miftahudinov) made a succesful forced landing on the sea. Navigator Yuri Aksenov was not injured, and was able to launch their dinghy and help the injured machine gunner/radio operator Gleb Lokalov and the pilot on board. The crew spent seven days on the dinghy, before being rescued by Finnish Coast Guard on 25 September in the archipelago of Aland. Finland had already ceased hostilities with Soviet Union, so the crew did not become POWs, but were returned home. However, all three were killed in action at later stages of the war. The pilot was oldest of the three, he was 21 years of age. Lokalov was born in 1925, so was about 18 or 19 years, Aksenov was 17 or 18, born in 1926. Makes you think, doesn't it?

I have totally missed this back then. Thanks for the input Finny.