Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Duxford BoB airshow Sep 2019

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brenden S
    Rank 5 Registered User
    • Dec 2016

Duxford BoB airshow Sep 2019

I have managed to convince the my wife to head to the BoB September airshow at Duxford. Just having a look on the website and being Aussie, can you book both days with a flight line walk?
    Also any tips on staying locally and also tips to position yourself for some decent photos, and or action of the day.
  • skeeler
    Rank 5 Registered User
    • Jul 2008

Brenden - Regards the Flight Line walk - your best option is to pay for that on the day. That's how it's traditionally done and the cost is 5 or 6. Tickets are sold at the flight line walk entrance. That gives you the option not to buy if you decide that the weather and/or aircraft on the line are not worth it and you haven't then wasted money. Last year they introduced a grandstand for an extra 15 or so, which is positioned fairly centrally. I haven't tried it myself, but if you're taking your wife she may well like the seating and viewing opportunity that gives - the seats you get depend on when you arrive as it's 'first come, first served' choice I believe. For photography just about anywhere on the crowd line is good for the flying, but if you want ground shots then you'll need a front position which will be difficult to get unless you arrive early. If you're going on both days, then buy 'weekend tickets' which are much cheaper than the combined price of both days seperately. Imperial War Museum also sell membership packages that might be considered - their joint adult premium membership would give you 20% off airshow tickets and free access to the premium members tent seating and enclosure (no grandstand), but you can sit down and watch and if you want to stand for photography you can do so at the back of the seating area without getting in peoples way - also gives other discounts and free entry to other IWM sites - link here - https://www.iwm.org.uk/membership With regard to staying close locally - there's the Holiday Inn Express Cambridge within walking distance of the airfield, The John BarleyCorn pub in Duxford village (a bit further to walk) - they do good food and rooms are in a separate lodge/annexe at the rear, or The Red Lion at Hinxton ( a short car ride away) - also does very good food and has lodge rooms in a separate annexe at back. You won't be disappointed. Hope this helps.
    Steve.

Comment

• paul1867
      Rank 5 Registered User
      • Nov 2012

Hi, Very shortly you will be able to buy tickets on line, it will then be pretty self explanatory. You can book both days and there may well be a weekend ticket . If you are bringing a car you will need a 5 parking ticket for each day. You can book flight line walks on either or both days. All tickets will probably be e-tickets so you will need to have printed them off. Tickets will not be available on the day. The local Travel Lodge, Fourwentways, Cambridge still had rooms a few days ago, however prices reflect the event. We usually stay in the Stevenage Central Premiere Inn in which is about half an hour away but a bit cheaper. For the best experience arrive early and leave late. If you are coming all that way you do not want to spend time in traffic jams. If we are lucky enough to have a sunny day you will be taking pictures against the light. Go up the eastern end and you can also see activity around the restoration company hangers and the jet standing. Go to the right of the control tower and you are close to the perimeter track which the returning aircraft taxi down. Go further west and try and get a bit of an elevated view on the approaches to the tank museum, here you can see across the field and down the before mentioned perimeter track.

Hope this helps. You are welcome to PM me if you need any further help.
      I had just got round to seeing the glass as half full instead of half empty, when some sod came and drank it......

Comment

• DazDaMan
        Rank 5 Registered User
        • Aug 2003

I'm considering combining a Duxford visit with my birthday present later on this year (a trip round the Biggin Hill Heritage Hangar).

Thanks for the suggestions for accommodation.
        Daren Cogdon

Spitfire fanatic

Comment

• olly_s
          Rank 5 Registered User
          • Aug 2017

For the positions it really does just matter on the wind direction since that will determine what side the aircraft take off from (rwy 06 or 24). If they are taking off from the M11 side then I would recommend being near ARCo or Sally B and down towards the M11. If they are taking off in the other direction and will taxi ARCo - Land Warfare Hall then I'd say a good spot would be from the last airliner down to the tank museum part. As Paul said there is a nice position on the side of the tank hall which gives an elevated view. Id would say to avoid crowd centre since at FL 2018 there were (if i remember correctly) tents and crowds and the grandstand in the way at crowd centre but at the M11 side the crowds were only two or three people deep. You cant really know where you are going until the day but you should be prepared for the wind to go either way.

Comment

• Agent K
            Rank 5 Registered User
            • May 2005

"As Paul said there is a nice position on the side of the tank hall which gives an elevated view."

Note this has been closed off at ALL airshows since the Shoreham accident.

Comment

• Brenden S
              Rank 5 Registered User
              • Dec 2016

Thanks for all the replies so far. By the sounds of it I best sort out accommodation as the wife's family lives in Birchington on Sea. Like any airshow the 1st day you find your feet, 2nd day you work out where to position yourself. I am always one to be at the front of the line for when the gates open to get un obstructed photos with out the general numpty public in my way

Comment

• SLoB
                Rank 5 Registered User
                • Jan 2013

Brenden. As you are coming all that way, you could also consider going up in a Tiger Moth before the airshow begins (on either day). I volunteer with Classic Wings and we operate 'trial flights' in the morning. You get a c. 15 minute flight and have a go yourself whilst up there. You get to take off and land at Duxford and see the flight line, etc., from the air. The Classic Wings marquee is usually somewhere in front of the American Hangar. As for cost, I do not know what the charge will be this year, but it is around 150 plus the cost of the video if you want it. If you want the lot budget for c. 200. It sounds a lot (and is to many people), but the people I help put in the planes all seemed really happy with the experience. If you don't fancy the Tiger Moth, you and wife could go for a trip in the Dragon Rapide. This is cheaper and includes a fly over the airfield and is a similar period of c. 15 minutes. In the Rapide you can take your own camera (you can't in the Moth) and take your own pics of the airfield from the air. Whatever you decide, I am sure you will enjoy it.

Comment

• Brenden S
                  Rank 5 Registered User
                  • Dec 2016

Going for a flight in the Rapide sounds awesome. I will see if I can budget that in.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Working...
                  X