Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have you any SBA Kit with a lid label?

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jamesinnewcastl
    Rank 5 Registered User
    • Nov 2010

Have you any SBA Kit with a lid label?

HI All

I am currently restoring some issue 'A' SBA equipment, these early items were in aluminium castings and carried a label in addition to the usual identification label - see pics attached. As the equipment was updated this label was removed and castings were replaced by steel pressed cases with no label. To make the restoration more authentic I would like to know what was on this label so that I can reproduce it.

The labels look blank in the pictures and even in photgraphs I have of them installed in a Stirling.

Does any one have any kit with the label still present or do you have any pictures of this kit with the label clear enough to see? These items were fitted to very many aircraft during WW2.

My current theory is that the label may have carried a manufacturers logo and so were removed to prevent the enemy knowing where they were made. So my second question is does anyone have a copy/photo of the S.T. & C logo or the Ultra Electronics logo from that period?

Cheers
    James

• jamesinnewcastl
    Rank 5 Registered User
    • Nov 2010

Hi All

Happy days - found an example of the label it is the Standard Radio Logo. Oddly enough on the last bit of the SBA kit!

However I'd like a better image to copy from - does it jog anyones memory? Have you seen that logo anywhere?

Cheers
    James
    Attached Files

Comment

• Versuch
      Rank 5 Registered User
      • Sep 2010

Hi James , I can perhaps help with the font, via the wonderful flight archive site from1938.

Cheers Mike

Comment

• jamesinnewcastl
        Rank 5 Registered User
        • Nov 2010

Thanks Mike

I suspect that that isn't going to be a font from the 'true type' collection, but no matter I do have a font editor or I can just trace that particular shape.

There is still the problem of the very light 'swirl' part of the Logo surrounding the lettering - I have a feeling that it may just be somethng very light and monochromatic as it hardly registers on any of the photos - but it would be nice to get it right if I can. If I don't then you can be sure that about a week after getting something made the actual logo will turn up!

Cheers
        James

Comment

• 12jaguar
          Rank 5 Registered User
          • Apr 2007

Hi James
          will have a look at the units we have next weekend to see if the labels are present, although tbh I don't recall seeing any

John
          http://www.stirlingproject.co.uk

Comment

• jamesinnewcastl
            Rank 5 Registered User
            • Nov 2010

Hi John

Andy has provided a link to the attached image - which is exactly right. However could you look anyway as I suspect that the blue colour may not be what was on the SBA kit? If you have a label I could check the colour.

Cheers
            James
            Attached Files

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Working...
            X