Interesting instrument

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

5 years 6 months

I have an ammunition counter from an aircraft. It was made by the Eclipse branch of the Bendix aviation corporation. Amazingly (to me) although it gives the type as 545, model 1, volts 24, style A, serial number 617 and even the drawing number C-68764 it does NOT give a date. On the circular face of the instrument it reads COUP RESTANT A TIRER. My guess is it was originally fitted to a Curtiss Hawk - but I could be wrong! As it is in excellent condition I assume it wasn't involved in a crash.

Original post

Member for

15 years 8 months

I would think that the Curtiss Hawk has a 12 volt electrical system just due to the era which it emerged.

Member for

5 years 6 months

Thank you flitzerfalke, that made me think. I again read the Putnam book on Curtiss Aircraft but could find no mention of the battery. I've now read the Curtiss brochure for the model 75 series, nothing there, then the P-36/-36a Pilot's Flight Operation instructions. Again nothing, but the Kittyhawk manual states it was a type C-5 battery of 24 volt 34 ahc capacity.
It seems that the ammunition counter came from the estate of a WW2 RAF officer. He was not aircrew but on Air Sea Rescue launches, having been a pre-war boat designer and marine craft builder. Curiouser and curiouser!

Member for

13 years 3 months

The early H75 aircraft were 12 Volt, but somewhere they changed to 24 Volt. The H75 A-8 manual lists a 24 Volt system. I have checked the Curtiss Interchange list and cant find the drawing number, but some of the Curtiss lists are far from complete for every model. A phot of the face would be interesting.

Member for

5 years 6 months

Thank you Kiwi. I am no expert in computing but hopefully my son will be visiting tomorrow and he'll do the decent thing!

Member for

5 years 6 months

Kiwi, you have a private message.