Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Studebaker P&W R1820 Motor Data Plate

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sondler 64
    Rank 3 Registered User
    • Apr 2018

Studebaker P&W R1820 Motor Data Plate

Hello dear fellows,
    I found a motor data plate of a P&W R1820 engine, manufactured by Studebaker, on a crash site of a Boeing B17, that crashed at the Black Thursday near Schweinfurt.
    As the plane is still not identified I would like to ask the experts:
    " Is it possible to identify the plane with any information on this plaque"? I struggle intensively for identifation of that B17.
    I found some MACR reports, where the motors with their serial numbers are always listed. But on the data plate, I found, is no "SERIAL NO." listed, that does match the style of the MACR serial numbers like 42-.... or 43-...... .
    Your help is apprechiated very much!
  • J Boyle
    With malice towards none
    • Oct 2004

Studebaker made a lot of 1820s under license. Not particularly rare.
    it's fun to look at flying B-17s and more the number of Studebaker engines.

Since engines were routinely changed, I doubt if you could identity an aircraft from an engine plate.
    There are two sides to every story. The truth is usually somewhere between the two.

Comment

• Derbyhaven
      Rank 5 Registered User
      • Jan 2011

The engine's serial number is stamped in the box headed "AIR FORCES OR BUREAU NUMBER". It looks like AF 43-?7933 where ? is possibly a 7.
      Ivor Ramsden
      Manx Aviation and Military Museum / Museum of the Manx Regiment
      Ronaldsway Airport, IOM

Comment

• Sondler 64
        Rank 3 Registered User
        • Apr 2018

Hello friends,

To Boyle: As I told already, I have two MACR reports. In both are, under Point 7. Engines, the motor serial numbers listed. I assume - or hope - that these data figures were actualized, when a motor replacement was neccesary.

Can anybody else confirm that this is fact?

To Derbyhaven: After posting this item I tried to clean the plate more by rubbing with an old plastic credit card - and it works fine. First I thought the particles that hide some numbers are molten splashes of metal, but it is simple dirt.
        So the AIR FORCES OR BUREAU NUMBER is clearly readable as AF43-57933

Thank you very much for your quick answer

Comment

• Anon
          Mike Davey
          • Jan 2008

Just a small detail but the R-1820, as used in the B17 was, in fact, built by the Wright aero engine company, not Pratt and Whitney. It should have the Wright engine logo on the data plate, not the P&W eagle.

Anon.

Comment

• Sondler 64
            Rank 3 Registered User
            • Apr 2018

Hi Anon,
            thanks for the correction - you are "Wright - it's a Wright design. Studebaker built under license 63 000 till war end. But where ist the P&W eagle on this data plate?

Comment

• aircraftclocks
              Rank 5 Registered User
              • Sep 2006

42-5901, a B17F from 410th Bomber Sqn was lost in good visibility at 15:20hrs at location 4930'N 945'E. Last seen with its right wing on fire at 21000ft.
              Engines 43-57919, 43-57932, 43-57933 and 43-57935 were installed on this aircraft.
              Last edited by aircraftclocks; 3rd February 2019, 07:54. Reason: Spelling!

Comment

• Anon
                Mike Davey
                • Jan 2008

There won't be any P&W wings, Sondler as it's not a P&W. However, the Wright engine company had a winged symbol, a bit like the German eagle, in fact. You might just be able to make it out on the damaged top left hand region of the data plate in the pic.

Anon.

Comment

• Sondler 64
                  Rank 3 Registered User
                  • Apr 2018

Hi Anon,
                  to finalize this item R1820 manufacturers, I have learned, that this engine is an American Wright design or invention. It was built under license in mass production during the war - among others - by P&W and Studebaker. These both used their own Label on the motor data plate. There are lots of pictures in the NET.
                  I made a mistake to announce it as P&W.
                  Your sentence :"It should have the Wright engine logo on the data plate, not the P&W eagle" led me to the conclusion to search for - where is this eagle - you understand?
                  In left hand top corner is the Studebaker label - no Wright label.
                  Thanks for your education lesson!
                  Best regards
                  Toni

Comment

• Sondler 64
                    Rank 3 Registered User
                    • Apr 2018

Thank you all for your helpful comments!
                    aircraftclocks could identify the plane by investigating MACR reports as the "Superstitious Aloisius", that crashes near Lauda/Knigshofen, about 100km away from the place where I found the engine data plate. The original motor of Aloisius must have been used as a replacement motor for the plane I found. So to identify the B17 I found, I need to find other unique parts or informations.
                    Search goes on.
                    Toni

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Working...
                    X