Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shoreham Crash Trial Begins.

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 12 (2 members and 10 guests)
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KurtB
    Rank 4 Registered User
    • Feb 2018

Shoreham Crash Trial Begins.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-46882177

The Old Bailey have heard the aircraft was in excellent order, and total pilot error is to blame. Not so great for Mr Hill, but it seems the jet has been exonerated.
  • Flygirl
    Flak Bait
    • Apr 2008

Well I for one feel sorry for Andy as I do the victims. It was an accident on a massive scale. I feel for all involved, but Andy was a great pilot and mistakes happen! It's a human thing. Who has never made a mistake ?
    Excellence is not a skill. It is an attitude.

http://planemadanna.blogspot.co.uk/

The first quality needed is audacity

Comment

• Sabrejet
      Rank 5 Registered User
      • Mar 2010

Note that the trial has begun; not ended. The ruling will be some way away.

Comment

• Agent K
        Rank 5 Registered User
        • May 2005

"
        .....It was an accident on a massive scale. I feel for all involved, but Andy was a great pilot and mistakes happen!"

Suspect it's probably best for the trial to conclude before judgements are made on accidents/mistakes/complacency/gross dereliction of duty etc. etc.

Comment

• steve611
          Rank 5 Registered User
          • Aug 2013

So far we have had the opening speech from the prosecuting barrister, setting out what they intend to prove. That does not mean that they will achieve it, and never represents a balance view of the facts. The next speech will present some form of contrary position and then the evidence will get presented.
          Last edited by steve611; 16th January 2019, 13:52.

Comment

• ozplane
            Rank 5 Registered User
            • Mar 2004

The BBC says the trial should last 6 weeks.

Comment

• CADman
              Rank 5 Registered User
              • Aug 2008

With respect to all involved might it be best to lock and reopen this thread only when legal statements are released ?
              I am sure all who are interested in the case are capable of reading court transcripts and news reports which are issued in the public domain.
              As it is an on going criminal case our own personal thoughts should not be aired until a verdict has been made, even then there maybe be an appeal. and further delay.

Comment

• Hooligan
                Rank 4 Registered User
                • Mar 2017

Agree with CADman.

Comment

• Sabrejet
                  Rank 5 Registered User
                  • Mar 2010

Hence my Post #3.

Comment

• KurtB
                    Rank 4 Registered User
                    • Feb 2018

It seems there are judge and jury in this thread. I was notifying the historic aviation enthusiast community that the trial had begun, supporting the link with a couple of quotes in the headlines. Lets watch shall we?

Comment

• steve611
                      Rank 5 Registered User
                      • Aug 2013

There are commentators on this thread. As I pointed out earlier, the process in a trial is for the prosecution to present all of their allegations without any counterpoint. The gutter press, and I may include the BBC in this at times, simply report the opening statements which unfortunately tend to be presented as fact in the most lurid form possible; this sells. The defence statements are rarely as attractive for the headines and tend to not be reported with anywhere near the attention-getting promotion of the headlines- page 8 rather than front page. And when the system comes to a conclusion if it isn't consistent with the witch-hunt then it might not even be reported. Declaration of Interest- been there had that done. I survived but only just, with my head broken and sometimes I talk ******** as a consequence.
                      Last edited by steve611; 16th January 2019, 21:50. Reason: late at night I can't spell. Oh and by the way I didn't type a set of asterisks that might be boll*cks in a different ight.

Comment

• scotavia
                        scotavia
                        • Nov 2005

Thank you Steve for the insight into how trials proceed, I had wondered about the reporting bias and now realise why.

Comment

• Beermat
                          1 Registered Rank Loser
                          • Oct 2009

Quite annoyed at the BBC. Radio 4 news now sounds like someone reading a tabloid out loud. Apparently Mr. Hill was 'trying' a 'loop the loop' and that he was reckless and fond of endangering life. No mention that this was just the prosecution case from a lawyer, it was presented as a conclusion of the court.

This thread should stay open just so that the whole picture can be presented by those who go on to follow the rest of the trial. There are 'journalists' who use threads like these as 'research'.
                          www.whirlwindfighterproject.org
                          It's all good. Probably.

Comment

• Mustang51
                            Rank 5 Registered User
                            • Sep 2008

Openings....evidence....cross examinations.....submissions.....jury or judge decides....not something that anyone can predetermine or guess. Leave it to the court whatever the outcome. After about 400 court cases I have seen many unforeseen outcomes.

Comment

• Propstrike
                              Rank 5 Registered User
                              • Mar 2004

I too felt BBC were grossly unfair and irresponsible to report as facts the ( as yet unproven ) allegations made by the prosecution.

Comment

• Bruce
                                Independent analyst
                                • Jan 2000

No, they have reported the case in the same way they do many others. The prosecution, and defence are there to establish the facts in the case.

We have an interest in the outcome - and we may also see Mr Hill as one of our own. Its important then that we don't make any judgement on the case on here until we, as well as the jury have heard all of the evidence - for and against. I suggest that as this is a high profile case, it will be regularly reported on in the press.

The thread will remain open, but lets keep reporting on it down to what is being said, not opinion based on second hand, or incomplete knowledge.

Bruce

Comment

• Planemike
                                  Rank 5 Registered User
                                  • Dec 2007

Bruce.............

What you write is fair. The report I listened to on BBC Radio 4 made it clear they were reporting the allegations made by the prosecution.
                                  The information is in the public domain and as such should be reported on.

Please do let the thread stay open. It is important that we enthusiasts/tax payers are allowed our say.
                                  As tax payers we are funding the court case.

PM

Comment

• Creaking Door
                                    Rank 5 Registered User
                                    • Sep 2006

One thing that I noticed in the brief Radio 2 coverage was that all those killed were referred to as 'spectators' at the airshow. I know radio news bulletins have limited time to get the headlines across to their audience but the far more detailed news coverage at the time sometimes failed to make, what I think, is an important distinction. The current BBC website coverage refers to six of those killed as 'spectators'.

Now I know that, in the strictest sense, some of those that were killed certainly were 'spectators' to the aircraft displaying but I think, when it comes to airshow safety, an important distinction is not being made, at least by the media, between those just 'passing by', those inside the show and those 'spectating' outside.
                                    WA$.

Comment

• J Boyle
                                      With malice towards none
                                      • Oct 2004

For those of us abroad, what is the current status of the Hunter with the CAA?
                                      Any limitations or restrictions still in place?

Finally, any assessments about how the crash has affected warbird jet operations in the UK.

I believe these issues can be discussed while the trial is underway.
                                      There are two sides to every story. The truth is usually somewhere between the two.

Comment

• Nige
                                        Rank 5 Registered User
                                        • Oct 2003

For those interested the local paper are reporting the trial proceedings pretty much live.

The latest updates from the trial of Shoreham airshow crash pilot Andy Hill.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Working...
                                        X