Register Free

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lancaster Bomb Bay

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AndyY
    Rank 5 Registered User
    • May 2012

Lancaster Bomb Bay

The Lancaster Bomb-bay was equipped with 15 release points in five rows of three abreast. I can find plenty of pictures showing bombs loaded three abreast, or pictures showing the bomb-bay empty with detail of the mechanisms which held the bombs in place.

There was a bomb configuration with one 4000lb ‘Cookie’ plus 18 500lb bombs which required the 500lb bombs to be carried four abreast. Again, I can find pictures showing these fitted.

However, I can’t find any pictures of an empty bomb-bay showing how four bombs were carried abreast.

I assume there must have been some form of ‘twin store carrier’ which carried a pair of bombs and attached to a single release point, does anybody have any details of this?

Were the outer two bombs hung directly on release points with the centre pair on a carrier hung on the centre release point, or were pairs of bombs carried on two carriers using the outer release points with nothing on the centre point?

Any details would be appreciated, please.

Many thanks,
    Andy
  • CeBro
    Rank 5 Registered User
    • Sep 2009

There was indeed a twin carrier that enabled four bombs abreast to be carried. If you look at pics you see that the middle two hang a bit lower because of the crossbeams of the carrier. When we recovered part of the bombbay of a Lanc the carrier was still in place.

Comment

• AndyY
      Rank 5 Registered User
      • May 2012

Thanks, that's the conclusion I was coming to. Do you have a picture of the recovered carrier by any chance?
      Andy

Comment

• jamesinnewcastl
        Rank 5 Registered User
        • Nov 2010

Hi Andy

I have AP1664 "Bomb Carriers", which you can have a copy of if you like, here are pics of the twin bomb carrier type E.M.

There is also a tandem bomb carrier which the bombs are in line.

You don't say why you need the pics, if it's for technical detail the AP may help, no use if it's the Lancaster that's important.

Cheers
        James
        Last edited by jamesinnewcastl; 12th January 2019, 20:21.

Comment

• AndyY
          Rank 5 Registered User
          • May 2012

James,
          A copy of AP1664 would indeed be very interesting, many thanks.
          I've found a video which shows the bombs being loaded, and shows the centre pair on the bomb carrier - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CMJbv30Ny4&t=20s
          The reason for my question was sparked off by a pal of mine who has bought one of the recently released 1/32 scale plastic models of the Lancaster, and I wanted to understand how bombs were fitted four abreast to three release points!
          Along the way I've learned that there was an 'Avro Quintuple Bomb Carrier', this was designed for the Shackleton to load five bombs abreast!

Andy

Comment

• windhover
            Rank 5 Registered User
            • Jan 2014

The old Cotswold Aircraft Restoration Group recovered a brass bomb-loading plate from Aston Farm in the 1980's. It was engraved with the bomb loading positions. We researched this; and established that it was fitted to the aft inboard face of the starboard bomb bay door. As I remember; it showed that four munitions could be loaded abreast. The plate was donated to the BOB flight boys at Coningsby. They might be able to enlighten you on your query.

Comment

• AndyY
              Rank 5 Registered User
              • May 2012

Based on that YouTube video, I'm happy that I now understand how four 500lb bombs were loaded abreast.
              Andy

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Working...
              X