Richard Riding

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

15 years 8 months

I have the very sad news that my good friend Richard Riding has passed away.
Richard was of course the founder of Aeroplane Monthly and its editor for twenty five years until he left in 1998.
He also produced some wonderful books including titles on early Ultralights, Elstree Aerodrome, Leavesden Aerodrome and more recently books about the exploits of his well-known father E. J. Riding, during his time as an A.V. ROE apprentice and during war time with Aeronautical Inspection Directorate and beyond. There were plenty of projects in the pipeline including a book project showing his wonderful photography of many 1960s popstars and celebrities whilst working as a photographer for Polydor records. I had the honour of working with him on that and hopefully we have enough to finish it one day.
I will remember him as great company and a lovely man. His humility never failed to amaze me and I am sure many of you; like myself, will miss him immensely!

Original post

Member for

17 years 8 months

I am so sorry to hear this. I was on the point of trying to contact him with reference to his late fathers work with pre-war light aircraft, following the publication of 'A Flying Life'. Richard Riding and his late father Eddie Riding were a great personal influence on my aviation and model interests, from the Aeromodeller of the forties to every copy of Aeroplane Monthly and into my career as a model kit manufacturer..

Please pass on the condolences of an avid enthusiast to his family and may Richard find Blue skies. I'm sorry I was never able to meet him.

John

Member for

15 years

Did he ever complete the Comper Swift that he was building or am I mixing him up with someone else?

Member for

24 years 2 months

Very sorry to hear this, I never had the chance to meet him but always enjoyed his books and articles. He showed great enthusiasm and initiative to save the old Aeroplane archive and get Aeroplane Monthly going on the back of it, we have all enjoyed the fruit of that effort ever since. His legacy will be on our shelves for many years to come.