Register Free

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fuel Flow Meter but for what?

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • simfrank
    Rank 5 Registered User
    • Oct 2007

Fuel Flow Meter but for what?

Evening all,

Twinwoods Museum have posted this on their Facebook page asking for an identity. Spitfire Spares have the same gauge on their site ,describing it as a Fuel Flow Meter from a four engined heavy.
    I've looked through lots of pictures of engineer panels and can't see anything like it.

Can any of you knowledgable chaps enlighten us?

Thanks in advance.

Simon
  • windhover
    Rank 5 Registered User
    • Jan 2014

This instrument measured the amount of fuel from the AEC
    bowser filling the tanks of Heavy Bombers like the Lancaster/ Stirling/ Halifax.
    Good examples vary between 50 - 80.

Comment

• simfrank
      Rank 5 Registered User
      • Oct 2007

That's brilliant, thanks for the info, I'll pass it on !

Comment

• tiffyman
        Rank 5 Registered User
        • Apr 2012

definitely fitted to Lancaster Lincoln and York, i have one, with the RAF stores label stating which York it was fitted to

Comment

• simfrank
          Rank 5 Registered User
          • Oct 2007

Tiffyman, I don't suppose you have a picture of it situ do you ?

Comment

• Jaguar34
            Rank 1 Registered User
            • Nov 2018

Lancaster tanks are No.1, 2 and 3, or Inner, Centre and Outer respectively (LH & RH), the gauge illustrated only has inner and outer. Outer tank capacity is only 114 gallons incidentally. There were mods (1198 & 1384) to introduce "Gallons -gone" fuel flowmeters, but suggest the gauge is as described in post #2, especially as it has 1/10 increments. BBMF Lancaster hasn't got these gauges.

Comment

• smirky
              Rank 5 Registered User
              • Oct 2008

These are fitted to the Lincoln on the Pilot's Aux Panel fitted to the stbd side of the cockpit. This panel is not even present on most Lancasters although a similar one was fitted to the Mark II (without the fuel flow meters). If anyone has a drawing or photograph of these fitted to a Lancaster please post it!

The front unscrews and the plate is reversible and can be set to read 'inner' and 'outer' for four engine types or 'left' and 'right' for two engine types (e,g, Bristol Brigand). The gauge indicates the fuel consumed by each engine and is nothing to do with the tank levels which are gauged separately.

Comment

• cabbage
                Rank 5 Registered User
                • Jun 2011

It may not be of any help, but i have checked my copy of the "Pilot's Notes" for the Avro York, similar fuel system I would have thought to the Lancaster, and there is no evidence of a fuel transfer guage, anywhere in the cockpit, either on the instument panel, or the side walls.

In fact there is no mention of such a guage anywhere on the aircraft.

Comment

• Nicko
                  Rank 5 Registered User
                  • Mar 2013

In the RAAF Lincoln Mk.30, the panel was called the Flight Engineers Panel. The drawing attached is from AAP.802, the Descriptive manual. This manual only has drawings or sketches - no photos.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Lincoln Mk.30 Engineers panel.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	186.5 KB
ID:	3846332
                  Let your soul stand cool and composed before a million universes Walt Whitman
                  http://vhjet.com

Comment

• Nicko
                    Rank 5 Registered User
                    • Mar 2013

This is from AP.2847B-PN. These meters look different though - don't seem to have the nob on the side.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Lincoln B2.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	131.2 KB
ID:	3846334

Comment

• smirky
                      Rank 5 Registered User
                      • Oct 2008

Here's a couple more Lincoln pictures. The backwards L shaped panel (without flowmeters in this case) is the Pilot's Aux Panel next to the main instrument panel and the square one is the Engineer's Panel further aft.

Comment

• Air Ministry
                        Rank 5 Registered User
                        • Jan 2008

The French language Pilot's Notes for the Aeronavale Lancasters show these adjacent to the F/E's panel.

They are also illustrated in the Lancastrian Pilot's Notes and are referred to as a standard fitment in the York, Vol. I.

That said, we shouldn't necessarily be thanking someone at A.V. Roe for going the extra distance for the customer. I imagine these were deemed a standard requirement in multi-engined piston types and are probably mentioned in an early post-war version of AP970 "Design Requirements for Aeroplanes".
                        Last edited by Air Ministry; 11th January 2019, 19:42.
                        The garage that keeps on giving.

Comment

• Nicko
                          Rank 5 Registered User
                          • Mar 2013

I should have noted in my post #10 that this is the Lincoln B2. This is the aux panel immediately adjacent to the main instrument panel.

With regards to AMs post: in addition to the requirements of AP.970, I believe there was another mechanism for the customer requiring certain equipment. I have seen the actual specs for a particular RAAF aircraft (the single seat Vampire), and have seen some evidence that says the same method was used for RAF aircraft. The original spec for the contract will list certain required equipment and will also list non-standard equipment as an appendix - Appendix A. It seems that when the contract is being fulfilled and then the aircraft enters service these items continue to be treated separately.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Working...
                          X