Register Free

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hawker part numbers and ranges

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • flyingblind
    Rank 5 Registered User
    • Oct 2011

Hawker part numbers and ranges

Can anyone help me understand the Hawker system for part numbers and aircraft types.
    I'm trying to identify the part number ranges for the following aircraft
    Typhoon
    Tempest II
    Tempest V

Hawker Hurricane part numbers seem to fall within the range A20012 through to A121378. (MKI to MKII)
    What are the ranges for the types mentioned above.
    I have an item with the part number A200478 so what aircraft would this belong to ?

In respect of the Tempest V, is there a specific parts list starting at one number and ending at another or does it cross over into the Typhoon ranges or even the Tempest II, due to the use of parts within all the aircraft.( probably Hurricane as well )
    Basically is there a Tempest V parts list or do you need a Typhoon, Tempest II and Hurricane parts list
    If there is a Tempest V parts list has anyone got one as I'm about to embark on a Tempest V cockpit rebuild

Hope this makes sense
  • powerandpassion
    Never Be Afraid to Ask
    • Jul 2012

FB, as far as I can make out, Hawker part numbers, at least from 1928 to 1946, are a sequential block system, with the following characteristics: (1) the alpha prefix, eg A12345, E45678, refers to paper/print size, where A is a tabloid newspaper page and E covers your dining table. So B upwards are assembly drawings, E general arrangements and A individual parts. (2) Hawkers have standard parts used across all airframes, called A Standard, sequentially numbered, generally no more than 3 digits, ie A123. For clarity, A part drawings start at about A10,000 in 1928, getting to around A100,000 by the Hurricane, and A200,000 by the time you are interested in. So a 1928 Hart and a 1948 Tempest can have a A123 standard bolt, but the 5 digit Axxxxx issued in blocks around particular aircraft coalesce around particular designs, with a bit of drift as parts on the shelf at the time were adapted to new designs. A Hart will go A10,000 to A40,000, a Hind up to A60,000, a Henley A90,000, a Hurricane A100,000 with a perverse A20,123 hinge hanging in there. An A50,000 Hind may have an A90,000 part when later retrofitted as a trainer with dual controls. My knowledge starts to drift away with new fangled machines above A100,000 Hurricanes, but I am sure the principles carry forward. There are folks on here that have Napier Sabres on loop on their car stereos that will no doubt know more but A200,000 drawings. The definitive answer to what your part may belong to is in an AP, Vol III Illustrated parts list index for these monoplanes, no doubt.

Comment

• flyingblind
      Rank 5 Registered User
      • Oct 2011

Is there an actual Tempest V parts manual or are the parts to be found in a Typhoon or Tempest II manual. I take the point that some parts maybe used in other types as well.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Working...
      X