Register Free

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

de Havilland DH 50

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • John Aeroclub
    Rank 5 Registered User
    • Jul 2006

de Havilland DH 50

Following a discussion on a modelling site. As a non commercial project I'm trying to prepare an accurate scale drawing of the de Havilland DH 50, 50.A and 50'J aeroplanes. Would anyone have a tech Manual for any of these aircraft. I'm mostly interested in the fuselage structure as the wings were DH 4/9 derivatives and I believe that the empenage is very similar to that of the DH 42 Dormouse/Dingo.

If anyone can provide repair or servicing illustrations I would be most grateful.

John
  • avion ancien
    Rank 5 Registered User
    • Aug 2007

The easy questions first, eh, John!

Comment

• John Aeroclub
      Rank 5 Registered User
      • Jul 2006

Hello Michael,

This is another of those famous aeroplanes, of which there is so little around. To compound this, there are nebulous comments by well regarded authors and to which published dimensions don't seem to physically add up on photographic interpretation. and what meager drawings are around. Trying to find something official is not easy. My main problem is trying to find out exactly where the fuselage of the DH 50.A was longer than the DH 50. Puma versions.

John
      Last edited by John Aeroclub; 8th January 2019, 14:27.

Comment

• John Aeroclub
        Rank 5 Registered User
        • Jul 2006

I've actually just had a a bit of a breakthrough in my own researches but I would still appreciate any input on the DH 50 fuselage structure.

John

Comment

• Avro Avian
          Rank 5 Registered User
          • Jan 2010

There is a replica DH50 at the Qantas Founders Museum at Longreach in Queensland, and IIRC there was a genuine wing hanging up on one of the walls.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	iris-dh50.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	3846206
          Courtesy of TripAdvisor
          Last edited by Avro Avian; 10th January 2019, 10:32.

Comment

• John Aeroclub
            Rank 5 Registered User
            • Jul 2006

Thank you Avro Avian.I have been in touch with the Curator at Longreach. Unfortunately they have very little there on the DH 50/A. The wings are no problem as they were slightly modified DH .9 units and I've worked out that the undercarriage and empenage were likely the same as the DH 42 Dormouse. I was informed that the designer of the replica sadly died some time ago.

I've put together a small collection of facts and figures as so my drawings are coming slowly together.

Cheers

John
            Last edited by John Aeroclub; 13th January 2019, 14:43.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Working...
            X