Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sheffield WW2 crashed bomber fly-past campaign starts

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Creaking Door
    Rank 5 Registered User
    • Sep 2006

The trouble with some internet pages is that they mix the next day returns with later records. And often make wrong assertions.
    Yes, exactly!

Didn't see your post above until now; I was busy responding to your earlier post.

Roger Freeman and Mighty Eighth War Diary for 22 February 1944, says 38 B-17s lost from 1st BD and 3 B-17s from 2nd BD. Total 41.
    For propaganda or morale reasons wartime figures often seem to quote 'lost', 'missing' or 'failed-to-return' aircraft; they must have thought the figures sounded better than quoting the actual totals including the 'damaged-beyond-repair' (although these wouldn't be assessed for days later probably).

I stumbled across this interesting (if rather confusing!) website last night that details some of the losses from the mission that the crew of 'Mi Amigo' were on:

https://www.airmen.dk/p271operation.htm

Interestingly it was a 'diversionary raid' and especially interesting for myself as last night I was only a few miles away from Podington (or 'Santa Pod' as it is better known these days!) where the crew of 'Mi Amigo' seem to have taken-off from on that fateful day in 1944.

The only thing the website doesn't seem to mention is how many aircraft took part in this 'diversionary raid'?
    Last edited by Creaking Door; 8th January 2019, 01:01.
    WA$.

Comment

• David_Kavangh
      • Jan 2000

Freeman doesnt mention diversions, rather Primary, secondary or targets of opportunity.

On 22 February 1944, 289 B-17s from 1st Bomb Division were despatched to attack a number of targets.

Aschersleben (Primary) 34 aircraft, Bernburg (Primary) 47 and Halberstadt (Primary) 18.

Targets of opportunity were Bunde 32, Wernegerode 19, Magdeburg 15 and Marburg 9, plus 7 other T/Os.

Im fairly certain these are all in Germany.

Its not possible to work out where the 305th BG and Mi Amigo went. The 305th would have flown from RAF Chelveston.
      Last edited by David_Kavangh; 9th January 2019, 19:05.

Comment

• Creaking Door
        Rank 5 Registered User
        • Sep 2006

The 'targets of opportunity' may have all been in Germany but it seems that, in the bad weather of a European winter, some of the bombers were not where they thought they were when they bombed.....or were they?

According to Wikipedia this seems to have been more the case with the 177 B-24 bombers of the 2nd Bomb Division than with the 289 B-17 bombers of the 1st Bomb Division. However, reading between the lines, there are an awful lot of bombs that don't seem to be accounted for; were they all safely jettisoned at sea or brought back to base?

I had never heard of the 'accidental' bombing of Nijmegen that day; and now it seems that it wasn't as accidental as was suggested at the time. The more you look into this history the more interesting it becomes!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bombing_of_Nijmegen
        Last edited by Creaking Door; 9th January 2019, 21:42.
        WA$.

Comment

• David_Kavangh
          • Jan 2000

Freeman - 22 February 1944 - 2BD 177 B-24s dispatched. 74 effective. 3 MIA. Targets of opportunity, Enschede, Arnhem, Nijmegen and Deventer.

2BD was recalled when 100 miles inland [weather], and since they were over Germany they sought T/O; however, strong winds caused the formation to drift over Holland and four targets were bomb unintentionally.

Comment

• Merlin Power
            Rank 5 Registered User
            • Sep 2009

Great news update on the BBC with a flypast now planned weather permitted being provided by the USAF.

Comment

• D1566
              Needs retiring.
              • Apr 2006

BBC Breakfast TV show live from Sheffield.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...shire-47323045
              Last edited by D1566; 22nd February 2019, 06:53.
              Martin

Comment

• D1566
                Needs retiring.
                • Apr 2006

Brilliant, what a tribute and what a turn out by the people of Sheffield.
                Martin

Comment

• Wyvernfan
                  wyvernfan@gmail.com
                  • Oct 2007

Very moving - what an incredible effort by Tony and the RAF / USAF !
                  Facebook page
                  https://www.facebook.com/Westland.Wy...tif_t=page_fan

Comment

• RAFRochford
                    Rank 5 Registered User
                    • Feb 2006

Superb! Brought a lump to my throat. Amazing to see such an incredible turn out for this memorial. Well done tony and all involved...and also the many that turned up. Quite a sight to see. Would have been lovely if Sally B had been available.

Comment

• paul1867
                      Rank 5 Registered User
                      • Nov 2012

https://www.foxnews.com/world/fly-pa...ng-uk-children
                      I had just got round to seeing the glass as half full instead of half empty, when some sod came and drank it......

Comment

• PeterVerney
                        Rank 5 Registered User
                        • May 2009

This moistened my eyes, and also brought back strong memories that I have of seeing a Fortress go down on top of the inland cliff which now stands above the Eurotunnel terminal near Folkestone. They had been attacking the Doodlebug sites in the Pas de Calais and we had been able to see them being shot down by the Jerry flak over there. Now 86 I still have vivid memories of those days but no PTSD which the papers are saying many people suffer from today, incredible.
                        Man is not lost. Only temporarily uncertain of his position.

Comment

• Ant.H
                          Rank 5 Registered User
                          • Jan 2000

I have to admit I was very surprised to see the BBC make such a headline of the event, it makes you realise just how important these things still are to people and that the memory of guys like these isn't in the least bit dead. I think if we are honest, there are many people on a forum such as this who end up wondering if such past events are all forgotten and/or that nobody cares, but it's events such as this that just go to illustrate how quietly important these things are.

Congratulations to everyone who pulled this event together, not least Mr. Foulds for tending to the memorial so devotedly over the years. Inspirational.
                          "Talking about airplanes is a very pleasant mental disease." Sergei Sikorsky

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Working...
                          X