Help with fairey aircraft co. presentation lighter (photos)

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

18 years 4 months

Evenin' all...
This lovely thing is on loan to me from my father-in-law in the hope that I can find out any of it's history, age, and possibly the identity of the recipient Mr Murray. He is just shy of 12inches tall. holding a super propeller. Silver plate with a lighter cunningly stowed under his head.
the inscription reads. "presented to Mr Murray from ratefixers debt. Fairly Aviation Co. Hayes"
There is very little on the interweb regarding Fairey Aviation. I couldn't find any reference to a museum or archive, I'm hoping someone here will know where might be a good place to start...
Thanks in advance (oh,and let me know what you think of it☺)
Best regards...ken
[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"medium","data-attachmentid":3844815}[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"medium","data-attachmentid":3844813}[/ATTACH][ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"medium","data-attachmentid":3844808}[/ATTACH][ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"medium","data-attachmentid":3844809}[/ATTACH][ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"medium","data-attachmentid":3844810}[/ATTACH][ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"medium","data-attachmentid":3844814}[/ATTACH]

Attachments
Original post

Member for

19 years 9 months

There seems to be quite a few of these generic pilot / propeller figures on the internet mainly having been sold by auction houses, although obviously yours has a bespoke inscription to a Fairey employee. These figures are described as being produced in the ‘inter war’ years, another states 1930’s. Hope this helps date your item at least.

Member for

5 years 5 months

The Ratefixers (new term for me ) was apparently a dept (department). Whew! At least they were solvent at the time! :-)

Member for

21 years

Rate fixers in industry negotiated piecework rates with the workers (later the unions)
mmitch

Member for

19 years 1 month

Rate fixers in industry negotiated piecework rates with the workers (later the unions)

Yes indeedy mmitch

And they usually looked after the 'Time' cards as well (clocking in/out etc)
The ratefixers gave you a certain number of minutes/hours to do specific jobs,sometimes this 'time' was 'fixed' by getting an experienced fitter to do the job,if you completed the job on or before 'time' you made your bonuses.
The factory I worked at might give an operator a 'Plus Up' (extra time) if you had not done the specific job before ('first off') but by the time you had done the job twice you were expected to complete on time (or quicker).
We used to hope that the guy who did the original 'Time' for the job had not ripped into it too quickly,but as one gained experience of the system there were ways to beat the system,but it got complicated sometimes LOL.
Usually as part of pay negotiations the 'Time' allowed for jobs was gradually reduced and sometimes became impossible to achieve LOL.
I was glad when I managed to get a move into the 'Flight Shed' where we got paid almost top 'rate' for our bonuses but did not have to work the 'Rate Fix' system.

Member for

24 years 2 months

The role of the rate fixer or (Rat Fixer) as described in my old place of work, not the most popular of people within the works. Unless you were mates with them / or were willing to enter in to heated argument over a previously set O.K. time.
One particular chap was known to be a bit of a soft touch just after lunch, (having had a couple of pints). I managed to agree a fairly good deal on a experimental job, bolting in a couple of ventilation fans, got 6 hours, job only took about an hour. Mentioned it to my charge-hand who was horrified..Christ sake don't you dare put your time card in at that! So had to loose myself for a few hours only getting about an hours 'bonus'

Sometimes your just cannot win!

So called happy days..Chumpy

Member for

18 years 4 months

Thank you for the responses guys... Interesting stuff... 'ratefixers' was a new one on me but is there anyone out there could point me in the direction of Fairey Co archives or Fairey specific museum collections? I would love to find out the identity of Mr Murray...
thanks again everyone...

Ken

Member for

20 years 7 months

Fairey's Technical offices were at White Waltham. It might be worth calling there to see if they have any resident historians with records.