Register Free

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SAD PASSING OF BRIAN GOULDING - AUTHOR OF 'LANCASTER AT WAR' PUBLICATION SERIES

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • R J A Taylor
    NX611 Preservationist
    • Jan 2000

SAD PASSING OF BRIAN GOULDING - AUTHOR OF 'LANCASTER AT WAR' PUBLICATION SERIES

I am so sorry to have to share the sad news of the death today (21/12/2018) of a very 'special', long-time supporter of Lancaster NX611 .

I received a phone-call this evening (Friday 21/12) from the family of my dear friend BRIAN GOULDING, to tell me that he had passed away today in his 'care home' in Newark, Nottinghamshire, at the age of 85, following a number of years of gradually deteriorating ill-health.

Brian was well known for his 'love' of, and historical knowledge of the Avro Lancaster, & the "Lancaster at War" series of publications that he wrote in conjunction with his co-author Mike Garbett, are a lasting personal testament to him.

He was also an avid enthusiast of the British Commercial Vehicle Industry, in particular the 'AEC' marque, with a long association with 'The AEC Society', having been a founder member back in 1983, and up until his health prevented, had been a 'regular' at their annual Rally held on the Newark Showground in Nottinghamshire.

I have very many happy personal memories of Brian, going back many decades, from the time that I met him in June 1970 at RAF Hullavington, Wiltshire, just after he had arrived by light aircraft from Blackpool's 'Squires Gate' Airport - just in time to pursuade the (then) owners of Lancaster NX611 to allow him to get onboard as a 'last minute' passenger on the Lancaster's flight to Blackpool that day - the last time she took to the skies (to date, that is).
    Ever since that day, Brian & I have regularly maintained close personal contact, and in 2008 I was privileged to be asked to join him at his former family home in Radcliffe-on-Trent to help compile & co-author an updated (5th) version of another of his authoritative publications - "Story of a Lanc". The first edition of that book was published in 1974, and up till that time, was the first attempt to document the story of Lancaster NX611 (G-ASXX / 'WU15'), from leaving the Austin Motors' production line at Longbridge, Birmingham in April 1945, through to her re-location to RAF Scampton to take up her new 'static' role as the new Station 'Gate Guardian' in May 1974.

Brian continued to maintain his enthusiasm & support for NX611 "Just Jane" throughout the 30+ years that she's been at East Kirkby, in the safe hands of the Panton Family - and I'm sure this sad news of his passing today will be widely mourned by everyone that he came into contact with over the years.

Thank you Brian for your friendship over the decades, and for everything that you did to support & promote the ongoing project of preservation and restoration of 'our' treasured Lancaster (in all her various guises : "Spirit of Surfer's Paradise" / "Guy Gibson" / "Just Jane"). Just wish you could have seen her back in the skies once again - I know you'll be watching, alongside dear Fred & Christopher Panton -
    "Rest in Peace, Dear Friend".
    Brian Goulding in the cockpit of Lancaster NX611 'Just Jane' at Lincolnshire Aviation Heritage Centre, East Kirkby Brian Goulding with his beloved wife Mary, in front of Lancaster NX611 'Just Jane' at East Kirkby, Lincolnshire in 2003
    Last edited by R J A Taylor; 22nd December 2018, 12:04.
  • John Green
    Rank 5 Registered User
    • Mar 2011

Mr. Taylor,

That's a fine tribute. I was at Hullavington and watched 611's departure.

Comment

• R J A Taylor
      NX611 Preservationist
      • Jan 2000

Hi Mr Green - Good to know that you witnessed NX611 as she departed RAF Hullavington on 26th June 1970 - on what turned out to be the last time she took to the skies (at this point in time it was her 'last' flight - but this may soon change - her restoration to full airworthy condition at East Kirkby, Lincs. is well under way ). Do you happen to have any photos of the Lancaster at Hullavington that day that you could share with us here ? Would love to see if you do.

Comment

• AirportsEd
        Rank 5 Registered User
        • Jul 2007

I'm very sad to hear of Brian's passing. He and Mary were fantastic hosts and as nice a couple as you could possibly meet. I was always made to feel most welcome when I visited them in Radcliffe on Trent. Brian was unhesitatingly helpful to me on numerous occasions and his affection for the Avro Lancaster and all things Bomber Command led to many worthy tributes to the World War Two generation. Do you remember his project to fly a light aircraft into the site of every WW2 Bomber Command airfield past or present it produced so many great anecdotes!
        I hadnt realised that 11 years had passed since Brian and I started the ball rolling on the book you mentioned, and I was grateful for his kind words in the book when it was published.
        His gradual decline was very sad to see. The last time I saw him face-to-face, I dont think he could remember me at all, although he still had the smiling and friendly demeanour he had always had.
        R.I.P. Brian, it was always a pleasure to be in your company.

Comment

• TwinOtter23
          NAM volunteer-Plugmeister
          • Jan 2006

That's sad news, Brian was a true gent.

I last met him about fifteen months ago, he was a long standing member at Newark and was paying a visit whilst at an AEC Rally on the Showground.

I first met Brian in the late 1970s when I went to his then house on Bestwood Lodge Drive, near Arnold to get some information from him for a talk he was giving for NAM members at the Palace Theatre in Newark - 'Collecting Aeroplanes American Style'. This related to his 'banking deployment' to California! It was Mary who invited me in for a warming cup of tea. I also helping to feature his 'Collecting Airfields' recollections when he tried to fly into all of the UK's bomber airfields in the 1990s.

NAM briefly held some of Brian's archive materials on behalf of the family when he first went into the care home. A few sets of Log Book photocopies that the family did not want, are still being digitised at Newark now!

Blue skies Brian, it was a pleasure to know you!
          Last edited by TwinOtter23; 11th January 2019, 23:10.
          Find out what's happening at newarkairmuseum.org
          Please help move Chinook ZA717 to Newark Air Museum

Comment

• 1batfastard
            Rank 5 Registered User
            • Jan 2013

Hi All,
            Cannot add to anything above only to say enjoying the books and have the lot, the complete series is a fitting epitaph to his life.

He went - He saw - He Created so we could read.......RIP Sir and thank you.

Geoff.

Comment

• R J A Taylor
              NX611 Preservationist
              • Jan 2000

BRIAN GOULDING's FAMILY HAVE ANNOUNCED DETAILS OF HIS FUNERAL ARRANGEMENTS :

The funeral is to take place at 13.30hrs on Friday 25th January 2019 at Gedling Crematorium, Catfoot Lane, Lambley, Nottingham NG4 4QH.

The family has advised me that anyone who knew Brian will be warmly welcomed should they wish to attend the Crematorium to pay their own personal tributes and celebrate the life of a "Very Special" man, who touched the hearts & minds of so many people in so many ways.
              Should anyone wish to join the family after the funeral, would they please let the family have some advanced notice of their intentions, as numbers will, of necessity, be somewhat 'limited'.

Link to Crematorium: https://www.gedlingcrematorium.co.uk/contact-map.php

Comment

• TwinOtter23
                • Jan 2006

Thank you for that update/information; Gedling Crematorium is in a beautiful location that looks out towards the Trent Valley and the locations of RAF Newton, RAF Syerston etc.
                Last edited by TwinOtter23; 11th January 2019, 19:29.

Comment

• TwinOtter23
                  • Jan 2006

Quick heads-up - some road works are due to start next Monday (14.01.19) on Catfoot Lane, which means the access to the crematorium will only be possible from the Mapperley Plains Road (Nottingham) direction. Best allow extra time if you were attending the service and planning to approach from the Lowdham / Lambley direction. I will check things out again next week and provide any further advice if I think it might help.

Comment

• R J A Taylor
                    NX611 Preservationist
                    • Jan 2000

Thank you for that heads - up, 'Twin Otter23' - Yes, please keep us updated on those 'works' if you possibly can. Much appreciated.

Comment

• TwinOtter23
                      • Jan 2006

I will do, I'm going that way tomorrow and will check out the signage etc.; some temporary lights were already operating earlier this week - it's some electric work by Western Power and is slated to run into April!

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Working...
                      X