Paper or Digital

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

5 years 7 months

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4822/45613589634_8225a5b73b_b.jpgThe following photos are of books held by the Aircraft Heritage Museum, Perth, Western Australia.

Original post

Member for

5 years 7 months

Paper books/manuals/magazines have over the centuries been our access to aircraft knowledge, but unfortunately some authors have even copied from others and using a recent Presidents new approach to the media, there has been '' Fake history news ''. But by and large they have mainly offered us the correct facts. The difference in authors is vast as they can be knowledgeable, funny, plus instantly readable, or just the belief that why did they bother. Publishers have over the years saved us generally from these occurrence's, saving us from not only getting upset, but the publisher from going broke. The knowledge gained from these books comes with biscuits (cookie) crumbs, coffee stains, oil and grease stains, plus DNA from readers after fingers are licked to move from one page to the next page of the story or information. Before reading these books we were absolutely without expert knowledge then after we read them we are gifted with a talent that we thrust down ex friends throats while we bore them to tears after reading the contents.

But books and manuals have gained a reputation about the fact that they can be in short supply due to not being published anymore, or demand out stripped the availability of some and prices have gone up. They have a tendency to take up a lot of room and probably ended a few marriages. But the paper books were around when history was made and the digital format was only a dream in someone's mind, so they are still worshipped by readers.

The Digital age, you find that now you can look at books from a different format. So efficient, so fast, are some of the probable thoughts and words as the modern equipment we use gives us access to the reasonably new digital format, plus so little space used for holding the information. These are the positives, but unfortunately we have a human being to use a Book Copier to copy these books and arrange them in a proper order which can mean pages are missed. The fact that you still have to download drawings and other information to printers that spit out paper is missed by the technos. Try working on the digital format if your power goes off and that is why you cannot give up your paper books. An analogy is the fact that people still sail yachts for the pure sailing experience that the wind gives, rather than smelly power boats.

It is good to know that both can exist together, so look after your books as they can come back in fashion, but don't take them into the toilet as they could be very valuable.

Member for

20 years 7 months

I love books , online / digital is great but there is something special about books ,the feel they way they are on a book shelf :)

Member for

17 years 9 months

I often come across comments in similar discussions to this thread, such as "I no longer buy magazines/books etc, because I can get everything off the internet.". This is all very well taking this parsimonious view, but who puts the information up on the web in the first place. The answer is of course, besides official organizations, folk who have bought books and magazines to stock their own libraries and who are willing to scan and share their accumulated reference information. Digital is totally dependent on Paper sources and so it will be for a long time.

John

Member for

15 years 1 month

It is good being able to get all sorts of stuff online, but to me you cannot beat a paper copy in your hand be it magazine , manual or book. I like things tangible.

Member for

17 years 6 months

Since I live in Perth and have tried to gain access/determine what is held in the Museums collection without success, how do you get to handle these precious books?

Member for

17 years 6 months

As to the question of paper or digital, digital makes the potential audience able to access a given book sitting on a dusty sleeve much greater.

I personally digitise the majority of the information I have available so it is ready available for answering questions that come up on this forum.

We do have to give some thought as to networking, in relation to how a very interested individual gets to know that another has the book/plans/drawing/brochure they have been trying to locate for years.

Perhaps we should start a "rumours" website. As we go somewhere and found stuff we just announce it for any one who follows that is interested. For example I got my hands on the RAF AP on Hamilton Standard propeller parts from 1945. Totally unexpected, and I am sure others may be interested in that find.

Member for

19 years 5 months

I've recently came across a rather unusual volume, a collection of historically important documents, speeches and articles.

Ever wonder what Stanley Baldwin really meant when he wrote...The bomber will always get through"? or the development of the UK's "Air Policing" policy from a lecture by air Commodore Portal, Douhet's influential comments on the development of air power, a e Churchill's period writings about air power from 1918, a aware my about German air power in 1934, or the full text of his "...so few" speech?

I found them all in a scholarly 1957 American book on the impact of air power.
I 've been reading aviation history for 50 years and had never heard of the nook, but I stumbled on it at a library used book sale in a nearby small town. The price for all this historical insight? $1. So there are still deals out there.