18 years 2 months

Pilot ejected and recovered

https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=219404

Original post
Profile picture for user 1batfastard

Member for

11 years 2 months

Hi All,
Wishing the Pilot and his family best wishes on this sad news.

Geoff.

Member for

20 years 1 month

Thanks for the link. That photo is pretty spectacular ! ( pilot ejecting over harbour ) . Hopefully his injuries are minimal.

The survival of the pilot is the main concern of course, but sad too that yet another vintage jet has been lost, and just a few days after the French Vampires.

Member for

20 years 7 months

^^^^^ Agreed with Propstrike -lets hope the pilot is soon back to health.

Member for

18 years 10 months

On 12 December 2018, 14:28 local time the pilot of an Airborne Tactical Advantage Co (ATAC) Hawker Hunter Mk58 managed to eject safely. His Hunter splashed into the sea some five miles south of Honolulu’s Sand Island of coast of Oahu (Hawaii).
The ATAC plane and pilot were supporting exercise Sentry Aloha that is being hosted by the Hawaii Air National Guard at Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam (HI). Sentry Aloha involves thirty aircraft from nine states and twelve different units. These include KC-135s from the Iowa and Wisconsin ANGs, F-15s from the Oregon ANG and US Navy F/A-18s from Lemoore (CA). The visiting aircraft are fighting during the exercise with the 199th and 19th Fighter Squadrons’ F-22A Raptors at Hickam.
A webcam video from Surfline.com captured the crash, and shows the 47-year-old pilot ejecting from the aircraft prior to impact.
The pilot was quickly picked up by a private sailboat and transferred to the US Coast Guard. Once on shore, he was treated by Emergency Medical Services and taken to the hospital in serious condition.
We made some stills from the video of Surfline.com in which you see the Hunter in trouble over a ship, the pilot underneath his parachute and the splash.
The Hunters of ATAC are flown by contractors to replicate enemy aircraft in training exercises.
Photo credit (just illustrative): Hawaii News, Hivemind and stills from Surfline.com

Member for

18 years 10 months

LA news reported it as a Marine Corps Harrier... multiple times.

Member for

19 years

Aircraft was J-4101 of the Swiss Air Force.

Member for

19 years 1 month

Aircraft was J-4101 of the Swiss Air Force.
probably the most iconic civilian operated hunter out there.......i really hope the pilot pulls through ,but i'm gutted at this loss....she'd been operated safely for years.

Member for

20 years 1 month

To say ATAC operations have taken a toll on the airworthy Hunter population is something of an understatement.

This total loss is added to other crashes of equal severity on Aug 2017, October 2014, and May 2012.

Member for

14 years 1 month

"Aircraft was J-4101 of the Swiss Air Force.
probably the most iconic civilian operated hunter out there.."

That would be the 'Papyrus' Hunter HB-RVS surely? Still safe and sound.

Member for

20 years 7 months

If they hadn't have been used for ATAC ops what else would their future have been ? .Museums already have them ,operators seem to be dropping vintage jets on the display scene.

Member for

14 years 11 months

glad to hear the pilot is ok, sore but ok. Sad on the hunter, I believe I watched these very two off the east coast a few months ago.

Member for

19 years 1 month

"Aircraft was J-4101 of the Swiss Air Force.
probably the most iconic civilian operated hunter out there.."

That would be the 'Papyrus' Hunter HB-RVS surely? Still safe and sound.

you could be right but the loss on Miss Demeanor is pretty hard to take

Member for

6 years 9 months

According to its website Miss Demeanor is J-4104, not J-4101.

Member for

19 years 1 month

well thats weird when i searched for J1401 it came up with Miss Demeanor......looks like i'm wrong....apologizes to all above