Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Laidlaw Auction Results 7 December 2018

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trolly Aux
    started a topic Laidlaw Auction Results 7 December 2018

Laidlaw Auction Results 7 December 2018

I am going to try and post updates and hammer prices in the Laidlaw militaria auction today mainly the aviation related parts engines etc I hope this may be of help to some.
    Last edited by Trolly Aux; 7th December 2018, 10:09.

• FLY.BUY
    replied
    Thanks for all your help Trolly Aux, I watched the auction live on the internet and it was really interesting to see. Managed to walk away with Lot 715 which was the Perspex glass, now the fun bit starts of trying to identify it!
    Last edited by FLY.BUY; 9th December 2018, 20:08.

Leave a comment:

• Mark12
    replied
    Wyvernfan#49 quote

9th December 2018, 10:10

With some of the prices realised I can only presume that the provenance attached to them was impeccable.

Err, no.

When I owned that 'Do17 seat with the BoB pedigree' back in 1973 it was thought to have come from a Ju88 and was gifted to me by a chap who worked at Cranfield and was surplus to the structures department.

I traded it with Ken Anscombe for the severed tail fin of Mk 22 Spitfire PK665 with squadron badge insignia.

If the forum search engine would only work, the seat was discussed on a dedicated post.

Mark

Leave a comment:

• TonyT
    replied
    Just noticed they actually advertised the sale in the back of Flypast with a really poor tiny description of what was being sold and a largish picture of some guy with a beard in somewhere like a library staring at some inane object..... nothing like slapping on a big picture of the Merlin etc and getting some interest, the largest writing on the ad was LAIDLAW'S.

Leave a comment:

• Wyvernfan
    replied
    With some of the prices realised I can only presume that the provenance attached to them was impeccable.

Rob

Leave a comment:

• Rocketeer
    replied
    The cuttleworth Hurri grip was a bargain. I can only think the relic grips had history that was not shown? Spade grips, spade grips everywhere but none for Tony! Worcs, the lucky fellow who got the Hurri grip from CW might be a lucky av heritage fan and keep it? Several years ago, I got a 109 grip for 350 and got chased down by a guy who offered me 4.5k for it....I said no as I wanted the grip.

Leave a comment:

• 2005burty
    replied
    nice bit Blenheim elevator too..not so bad 260

Leave a comment:

• Worcs Aviation
    replied
    The Hurricane grip was a good deal at 950 for an early grip, seen them make 2500, give it few days and that's what it will be for sale for I guess.

Leave a comment:

• avion ancien
    replied
    Another thought has occurred to me. Most of the substantial aeronautical items are stated to be at a private location in Kent and thus were not available for viewing at the auctioneer's premises in Cumbria. However I failed to find any reference, on the auctioneer's website, to there being facilities for potential bidders to view these items in Kent. Thus is one to assume that those who bid many thousands of pounds to acquire these items did so simply by reference to what they could see in the online photographs? If so, I find that surprising. If I was going to pay such large sums of money I'd have wanted - nay, insisted - on being allowed the facility to inspect these items pre-sale.

Leave a comment:

• avion ancien
    replied
    Isn't it standard auctioneer's practice these days to set guide prices (they seem to prefer this term to 'estimates') which are merely 'come ons', i.e. designed to encourage potential bidders who consequently think that they are going to get the item 'for a song', whereas the auctioneers know that the true value, and thus likely hammer price, is much going to be much higher. The object of these 'come on' guide prices is, firstly, to avoid potential bidders walking away pre-sale, which they might do if realistic guide prices were stated, and, secondly, to encourage bidders to put in low bids and then raise these beyond what, realistically, they might be able to afford to pay. In this manner the auctioneer gets the maximum competition between bidders and thus the highest hammer price.

Leave a comment:

• Trolly Aux
    replied
    For those who may like to view all the results

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/a...h=False&page=6
    Last edited by Trolly Aux; 8th December 2018, 14:07.

Leave a comment:

• Junk Collector
    replied
    there were a few large items in the pictures but not 54k worth visible

Leave a comment:

• ian_
    replied
    There was at least one Spit main spar peeking out, and another instrument panel. Lazy cataloguing though. List half of it in minute detail, then give up and sell the rest as a single lot.

Leave a comment:

• Junk Collector
    replied
    There must have been something in the 41500 lot that the pictures wasn't showing, Spitfire data plates would command figures like that, not boards with molten alloy and perspex on them, probably a few restorations on those boards
    Last edited by Junk Collector; 7th December 2018, 23:10.

Leave a comment:

• Wyvernfan
    replied

Leave a comment:

• TonyT
    replied
    Blimey, I bet the auctioneers are on cloud nine at the results so far as they are wildly over their estimates. I do hope some people on here got something. I bet we start seeing some items appearing on eBay from that large collection.

Leave a comment:

• Junk Collector
    replied
    41500 + 12 450 premium, totally nuts

Leave a comment:

• Wyvernfan
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Vintage
    replied
    The Vat and premium and online bid costs equated to about +1/3 on "hammer price". So, 1000 win costs about 1,330 ish.

V

Leave a comment:

• Vintage
    replied
    TBH, virtually all the estimates were wildly (low) wrong. The only estimates that were remotely close were for "regular" items like, common swords or daggers etc. The aircraft relics that I was interested in went for fairly high prices relative to estimate. My favourite lot went for 40X the estimate! Unfortunately, the Auctioneer was punch-drunk at the end, he had been there non-stop for nearly 8 hours! I also could not find any way to view the off-site aviation lots, other than the scant photo's. I guess that those who knew the collection involved would have quite an advantage. Did anyone spot the relic DB601 crash engine with DB600 cylinderblocks?

V

Leave a comment:

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Working...
X