Register Free

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Duxford Blenheim and Lysander passenger flights ‘coming soon’.

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 4 (0 members and 4 guests)
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • avion ancien
    Rank 5 Registered User

Maybe they'll convert her to a Lancastrian!

Comment

• Flygirl
      Flak Bait

That is brilliant news :-)
      Excellence is not a skill. It is an attitude.

http://planemadanna.blogspot.co.uk/

The first quality needed is audacity

Comment

• R4118
        Rank 5 Registered User

I wouldn't be surprised to see Just Jane carry g passengers to be honest! Although I personally think we won't see her with air under her wings again!

Comment

• Collis
          Rank 5 Registered User

This could be handy. I need to get to France next year after Brexit. I could find some locals in hi-viz with gas lamps.

Comment

• Bluebird Mike
            It'll Fix

Although I personally think we won't see her with air under her wings again!
            Strong statement- what makes you think that?

I always thought that NX611 would do passenger flights the same as her Canadian cousin, it's a no-brainer for income and also a natural extension of their current interior tours and taxi rides, etc.
            The Bluebird Project

Comment

• DH82EH
              Rank 5 Registered User

"I wouldn't be surprised to see Just Jane carry g passengers to be honest! Although I personally think we won't see her with air under her wings again!"

Instead of crapping on the project on an internet forum, why not donate a fiver?
              That'd be more productive.

Comment

• Roobarb
                Rank 5 Registered User

Isn't R4118 entitled to air his or her views like any other member of this forum? Just because an opinion is expressed that you don't agree with why do you see it necessary to make such a strong retort? I looked after a privately owned Pembroke some years ago and that was restricted on the number of passengers it could carry by the regulations of the Permit to Fly that it operated on, (being an ex military aeroplane) and could easily have filled the many seats it still had fitted when in RAF service (all with the relevant seat lapstraps etc in place) it just wan't allowed to. In the end this restriction made it less appealing for the owner to operate as he couldn't take his group of friends with him to airshows, fly-ins etc and was a strong factor on his decision to dispose of the aeroplane. What makes you think a Lancaster, Shackleton, B17 etc would have a more lenient attitude from the CAA when they don't even have the approved seats fitted and would require a structural fitment modification to be stress approved, design approved and the seats and their materials and harness/lapstrap to be of an approved design and material specification. Even if all this was carried out they still would be unlikely to allow more than two or four passengers to be carried. Would this justify the operational costs for a four engined aeroplane, I doubt it myself. Personally I agree with R4118 in that I am doubtful that I will see that particular Lancaster fly again. That's nothing against the owners or the engineers (many of whom I know personally and have worked with at Duxford and I highly respect), it's just my opinion as an enthusiast and a professional Aircraft Engineer for the last 35 years. And yes I have worked on an airworthy Lancaster in the past, and many other large four engined aircraft. Forums are for discussion and debate not for attacking someone for their different opinion. That's just being rude and arrogant.

Comment

• Ant.H
                  Rank 5 Registered User

Apologies for dragging the conversation even further away from the original topic, but in relation to passenger numbers on a future airworthy Lanc could the Canadian Lanc UK tour be used as a guide? I seem to remember there were more than four passengers on the flights?

Best wishes to everyone at ARCo and fingers crossed for the permissions on the Lysander and Blenheim.
                  "Talking about airplanes is a very pleasant mental disease." Sergei Sikorsky

Comment

• red5
                    Rank 5 Registered User

Ant.H - As a guide to what exactly ? Not sure what you mean - the Canadian Lanc operates to Canadian rules which are not recognised in the UK so the UK Lancs have to abide by UK rules.......... ( as highlighted by Roobarb "would have a more lenient attitude from the CAA when they don't even have the approved seats fitted and would require a structural fitment modification to be stress approved, design approved and the seats and their materials and harness/lapstrap to be of an approved design and material specification"

Comment

• J Boyle
                      With malice towards none

Agent K... re post #19

The American B-17s that sell rides are not in the "Expirimental" category (also, there is no such thing as an "experimental" register).

Here is the registration for "Sentimental Journey".
                      Notice the classification box at the bottom of the page:
                      https://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinq...umbertxt=9323Z
                      ​​​​​​
                      They are on "Limited" certificates which means they can do limited commercial work.
                      Experimental aircraft can not be used for commercial passenger flights.
                      Correction: I was mistaken about no pax flights in Experimental types as noted below...namely the B-29s (which unlike B-17s, never received limited ATCs are allowed experience flights. However, you can't use a homebuilt experimental for commercial use.
                      Last edited by J Boyle; 10th December 2018, 02:41.
                      There are two sides to every story. The truth is usually somewhere between the two.

Comment

• mexicanbob
                        Rank 5 Registered User

Many airplanes and registered as Experimental in the US and able to do rides for hire. That is the purpose of the Living History Flight Exemption (LHFE). One of those is the B-24 Diamond Lil. Her, FIFI & Doc are all three Experimental.

Comment

• Ant.H
                          Rank 5 Registered User

In reply to Red5, the Canadian Lanc offered passenger rides while on the UK tour in 2014. What I'm asking is that if a passenger carrying Lanc has already flown in the UK, then does it not help the case for future passenger-carrying ops with Jane?
                          "Talking about airplanes is a very pleasant mental disease." Sergei Sikorsky

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Working...
                          X