Register Free

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Duxford Blenheim and Lysander passenger flights ‘coming soon’.

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Seafuryfan
    Rank 5 Registered User

Duxford Blenheim and Lysander passenger flights ‘coming soon’.

This looks very interesting:

www.aerialcollective.co.uk
  • ErrolC
    Rank 5 Registered User

Goes nicely with the Anson Mk.1 flights being done at Classic Fighters Omaka.

Comment

• R4118
      Rank 5 Registered User

I have to say I do like the sound of a Blenheim flight......aswell as a flight in Miss Helen

Comment

• Moggy C

I wonder will the Lysander passenger brief start:

"Listen carefully, I will only say zis once" ?

Moggy
        "What you must remember" Flip said "is that nine-tenths of Cattermole's charm lies beneath the surface." Many agreed.

Comment

• Propstrike
          Rank 5 Registered User

Just a few years ago, the pleasure flight Dakotas were withdrawn as they were unable to meet safety standards for fee paying passengers, allegedly.

If you can fly in a Blenheim bomber now, , then it must be time to bring back the Dak !

If the Sally B and Catalina outfits can grab some of this action, it could represent a huge boost to their finances and really help secure a long-term future. Here's hoping !

Comment

• Agent K
            Rank 5 Registered User

"Just a few years ago, the pleasure flight Dakotas were withdrawn as they were unable to meet safety standards for fee paying passengers, allegedly"

I thought the issue was more the fact they they were, at the time, certified airliners, rather than warbirds or historics, and given their pax volume were due therefore to come under the post 9-11 armoured/locked doors etc. etc. requirements which rendered it all too expensive.

Comment

• J Boyle
              With malice towards none

Sounds like fun, I'd like to have a ride in the Lysander...especially if they did a short field take off.

Perhaps if they reduced the passenger load of the Douglas they would be allowed?
              Certainly if an operator can make money (or at least not lose money) with X-many in a Blenheim, PBY or B-17, then they could do the same in a DC-3.

Still it shows the non-logic of some of the rules...the net result seems to be "20 people in a DC-3 might be a terror threat but 6 people in a warbird aren't"?
              Last edited by J Boyle; 5th December 2018, 14:23.
              There are two sides to every story. The truth is usually somewhere between the two.

Comment

• Agent K
                Rank 5 Registered User

It's logical, otherwise you'd have aircraft moving in and out of certifcation part levels depending on their pax volume, but of course catches some types out, it's more to do with levels and thus complexity of certification of operation and thus type rating. So, for example a 747-400 is under a different part to a commuter 1900D as you'd hope and expect and is therefore equipped to and certified to a greater level. I'm not 100% sure on fine detail as I'm not as close to aircraft certification as I used to, but the legislation is based more on seating numbers rather than actual pax numbers (for example - 29 seats and over) and often aircraft weight too.
                Last edited by Agent K; 5th December 2018, 15:28.

Comment

• grahamh
                  Rank 5 Registered User

From Elly Sallingboe in this week's Sally B newsletter:

I wrote in the June members Bulletin that this season has seen fewer bookings for Sally B than ever before and that we must now look beyond airshows and flypasts for our survival. There are rumours out there that the time may soon come when the CAA allows multi-engined aircraft to carry passengers under the new SSAC rules, which have been in place for single-engined WWII fighters for quite a few years now. I am concerned that even if we did get permission, it is just not feasible or safe in this B-17. The aircraft’'s layout and safety aspects would need to change, and the seating capacity increased and so on. Not an easy option, as to rectify this would be a time consuming and extremely costly job, while still only allowing us to carry two people!
                  Therefore, passenger flying is unfortunately out of the question, at least for the time being, but we will most certainly explore what can be done and let you know the outcome.
                  In the meantime, we will be looking into a gentle way of carrying out “"Fly With"” and “"Photo Flights"”, whereby passengers fly in a separate aircraft, such as a DH Devon, which in turn would formate with Sally B for close up viewing as well as photo opportunities. The flying would be more relaxed and, above all, more affordable. To this end, I have been in contact with Aero Legends who operate a Devon and a DC3 regarding doing just that and hopefully this is something we will be doing in the near future –– watch this space...

Comment

• Propstrike
                    Rank 5 Registered User

I can't imagine a DC-3 could represent a higher risk than a JU-52 , which has a long and ongoing history of passenger flying in EASA-land, and I believe is still operational despite the accident in 2018.

I quite understand Elly Sallingboe's concerns, and no doubt she is well aware of the B-17 s in the USA which do offer this opportunity, but perhaps it requires more modifications that they are happy to undertake. From this video, Fuddy Duddy appears to carry at least 4 pax, but perhaps it is more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIBxnqYqR5A (Video of pax briefing and B-17 ride )

Comment

• The Blue Max
                      Rank 5 Registered User

As I understand it the Ju52's have been grounded following discovery of corrosion and crack in the spars of the crashed A/C.
                      "I see something of the cobra in you Stachel!"

Sywell Airshow 17th August 2014

www.sywellairshow.co.uk

www.Biggles-Biplane.com

Comment

• ErrolC
                        Rank 5 Registered User

The two DC-3s in NZ operate under airline licences, but we don't have the e.g. armoured door requirements. I assume the Anson will be under Adventure Aviation Part 115.
                        https://www.caa.govt.nz/sport-and-rec/part-115-info/

Comment

• Beermat
                          1 Registered Rank Loser

I am saving my loose change for a Blenheim trip already.

I am curious as to the 'only two' passengers thing from Sallingboe - it's possible to fly more in a Dove or a Rapide according to the rules and when I had a poke around Sally B last time - admittedly a while ago now - she had several airline-type seats inside - six or seven IIRC though transverse? Bit hazy on it now.. Sallingboe herself talks of increasing seating capacity.. to two?. Can anyone help with the reasoning, I know I am missing a bit that she is assuming her readers know?
                          Last edited by Beermat; 5th December 2018, 22:01.
                          www.whirlwindfighterproject.org
                          It's all good. Probably.

Comment

• SADSACK
                            Rank 5 Registered User

I think for now it is a "fly with", not "fly in" situation?
                            pb::

Comment

• ErrolC
                              Rank 5 Registered User

Beermat:
                              I am saving my loose change for a Blenheim trip already.
                              A trip in the Blenheim, or a trip to Blenheim? :-)

Comment

• Beermat
                                1 Registered Rank Loser

Ha! I never know what to call it. 'Flight' is what you take with Easyjet, 'Sortie' sounds pretentious, and 'spins' are inadvisable..
                                www.whirlwindfighterproject.org
                                It's all good. Probably.

Comment

• ErrolC
                                  Rank 5 Registered User

Joyride is a bit frivolous, more so for jaunt/jolly/junket.
                                  The NZ DC-3s use 'Scenic Flight' for A-A trips, but that works better for airliners, even 70yo ones.

Comment

• J Boyle
                                    With malice towards none

Propstrike...
                                    About American passenger carrying B-17s, I'm not an operator so don't take my thoughts as gospel, but I have been in several of the aircraft that carry passengers.

I'm not aware of any substantial modifications that have been made to them. Seats are often basic troop seats along the fuselage. Certainly no extra emergency exits or anything major.
                                    I have a hunch the changes operators make are procedural rather than physical.
                                    Certainly nothing that could not be accomplished by the fine folks who fly Sally B.
                                    Last edited by J Boyle; 7th December 2018, 03:55.
                                    There are two sides to every story. The truth is usually somewhere between the two.

Comment

• Agent K
                                      Rank 5 Registered User

I too have flown in a B17 in the USA (Sentimental Journey), there were at least 5 of us if i recall, and the regulations are somehwat different. The aircraft are on the experimental register and therefore abide by more lax rules than they would have to in the UK.
                                      Last edited by Agent K; 7th December 2018, 09:06. Reason: typo

Comment

• ~Alan~
                                        Rank 5 Registered User

I wonder if "Just Jane" will be configured to carry passengers ?. It seems to work with the Canadian Lancaster.
                                        Engine Failure:.... A condition which occurs when all fuel tanks mysteriously become filled with air.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Working...
                                        X