Register Free

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dambusters remake is on, says Peter Jackson

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 5 (2 members and 3 guests)
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • snibble
    Rank 5 Registered User

I very much look forward to seeing this film but the dog thing could easily become the story as far as the grunting and pointing classes are concerned. Be easy to write the dog out completely, it's not as if it's a central character. And the codeword, it would be better to write that out of the screenplay too. I would hate to see the appearance of a squadron of Lancs on the big screen overshadowed in media coverage because of a bunch of pedantic throwbacks loudly announcing to all within earshot "Bloody PC, the dog's real name was N...)
    No reason to have the dog in the film, no need to have the codeword mentioned, just sidestep the whole thing and tell a human story.

Comment

• SADSACK
      Rank 5 Registered User

What the knuckle draggers dont tell you, is that Peter Jackon wanted the dogs name kept, but research showed he had a different name beforehand, so he put both together, hence Digger.

Of course a single letter is more important than an accurate movie; much longer; in more detail and in colour, lets all boycott that eh
      pb::

Comment

• SADSACK
        Rank 5 Registered User

I am a huge Tolkien fan!!! I have hobbit themed garden!
        pb::

Comment

• daveg4otu
          Rank 5 Registered User

You guys amaze me .
          On the one hand you waffle on and pontificate about the need for accuracy with regard to almost any historical artefact yet you are quite prepared to edit history to suit your own thoughts.
          By the way , juvenile name calling such as above by Sadsack does you no favours.
          http://www.hampshireairfields.co.uk/

Comment

• Moggy C

Right.

This is supposed to be a forum about historic aircraft, not a forum where people speculate in advance about something they may or may not be offended by.

Moderating here has become harder since the forum revamp, it takes up a lot more time.

I haven't even discussed this with my fellow mods, but from here on in any post on a Dambuster film thread even alluding to Nigger, whether using his name, a version of his name or even the word 'dog' I will blitz. Not edit, just delete. I hope the more serious members here will appreciate this decision.

And it starts here.

Moggy
            "What you must remember" Flip said "is that nine-tenths of Cattermole's charm lies beneath the surface." Many agreed.

Comment

• Propstrike
              Rank 5 Registered User

Outstanding ! Christmas has come early. Moggy vanquishes dog......

Comment

• 12jaguar
                Rank 5 Registered User

about time
                http://www.stirlingproject.co.uk

Comment

• daveg4otu
                  Rank 5 Registered User

Historical facts should never be rewritten or censored .... not for any reason!
                  http://www.hampshireairfields.co.uk/

Comment

• Moggy C

Thank you Dave.

You made that point already, back at post #26.

Can we now return to discussing the movie? (Though frankly there is little to say right now)

Moggy
                    "What you must remember" Flip said "is that nine-tenths of Cattermole's charm lies beneath the surface." Many agreed.

Comment

• DH82EH
                      Rank 5 Registered User

Operation Chastise!

That's what the movie's about!

Comment

• snibble
                        Rank 5 Registered User

Occurs to me that Jackson has made his name in the multi part film series stuff. This could well bring along a film of 617s later exploits, or two. After all, so much of the infrastructure of the dambusters film would be readily applicable to a sequel. The Tirpitz campaign anyone?

Comment

• trumper
                          Rank 5 Registered User

^^^^^^^^ Just wondered if there would be that much interest for the film goers at the Cinema.^^^^^^

Comment

• J Boyle
                            With malice towards none

In the recent Daily Mail article that seems to have precipitated this thread, Jackson was quoted as saying the old film was a bit "romanticized".

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...sters-raid.htm

lf he is looking to make more of a historical film (and less of a standard " the good guys win" film the original occasionally comes across as) one wonders if the film will address the matter of civilian (forced laborers apparently) casualties...

See Moggy, back on topic...
                            There are two sides to every story. The truth is usually somewhere between the two.

Comment

• Bazza333
                              Rank 5 Registered User

I would have agreed with Trumper above in that I couldn't see this who would go and watch this however I was amazed to see BoxOfficeMojo lists Dunkirk as grossing $527m worldwide so it would seem there is indeed a market for historical remakes.

Comment

• DazDaMan
                                Rank 5 Registered User

Dunkirk - $527 million
                                Hacksaw Ridge - $175 million
                                Fury - $211 million
                                Darkest Hour - $150 million
                                The Eternal Zero - $85 million
                                Inglourious Basterds - $321 million
                                Unbroken - $163 million

Let's not forget that there's a new Midway project on the go, plus another film about the Battle of Britain has been touted, and from Ridley Scott, no less.

The appetite is there for war films, it just depends on the story and the interest in it.

(FYI, Dunkirk is NOT a remake - it just has the same name as the 1950s film)
                                Last edited by DazDaMan; 10th December 2018, 07:50.
                                Daren Cogdon

Spitfire fanatic

Comment

• trumper
                                  Rank 5 Registered User

Yes there is an appetite for well made films ,i don't think you could have a 3 series film like the Lord of the Rings ,Star Wars type francise.

Comment

• TonyL1962
                                    Rank 5 Registered User

Three films with Lancasters - why not! The first one could cover the Augsburg low level daylight raid - there's enough drama there to last a couple of hours.

Comment

• snibble
                                      Rank 5 Registered User

One bomb left and the dam still standing, "Use the force Guy".

Comment

• TwinOtter23
                                        NAM volunteer-Plugmeister

Possible film confusion there snibble; the Star Wars, Death Star sequence is allegedly based on 633 Squadron!
                                        Find out what's happening at newarkairmuseum.org
                                        Please help move Chinook ZA717 to Newark Air Museum

Comment

• DazDaMan
                                          Rank 5 Registered User

But some of the dialogue from Star Wars is loosely based on that from The Dam Busters.
                                          Daren Cogdon

Spitfire fanatic

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Working...
                                          X