G-AMJH 'Bournemouth' Airship

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

16 years 8 months

According to W&R2, the gondola of this airship was stored in the ATC gliding hangar at Christchurch Aerodrome in 1963. Apparently it had been there since its final crash at Cardington in 1952. I've found no mention of it in subsequent editions of W&R. Does anyone know what became of it?

Original post

Member for

15 years 3 months

I remember it being listed as being in the PPS hangar at Booker in W&R back in the 70's but never saw it.

Member for

7 years 2 months

Wrecks and Relics ninth edition (1984) states, according to Tony Bianchi, the control car of G-AMJH, the airship Bournemouth, left the airfield in the early 1970s - fate ???

Member for

16 years 8 months

Thank you, both. I wonder if it went back to Lord Ventry (who died in 1987)?

Member for

16 years 8 months

Many thanks. It was the Dorset Life article and the concluding statement that:

'But of Bournemouth herself, sadly it seems nothing remains'

that jogged my memory as to there having been a reference to the airship's gondola in an edition of W&R.

Member for

12 years 5 months

I have the oil tank from the Bournemouth (originally from an Avro Cadet). Gifted to me by the late Ken Woolley from Coventry. He also had the fuel tank at the time and the engine had previously gone into a Klemm L25 G-AAHW.
No idea about the rest I’m afraid.

Member for

16 years 8 months

So the statement 'nothing remains' is not entirely true! I wonder if the gondola of the 'Bournemouth' headed north on leaving Booker and ended up at Berkswell Forge, before being dismantled there?

Member for

7 years 2 months

I visited Ken Wooley at Berkswell in the early 90s aa, and he showed me around his collection of aeronautica. I don't remember seeing anything of the gondola then.

Member for

16 years 8 months

I wonder whether Gipsy 1 can apply dates to the comments which he made in his earlier post?