Register Free

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Miles Whitney Straight wreckage in Java. Wartime photo discovered.

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Consul
    Rank 5 Registered User

Miles Whitney Straight wreckage in Java. Wartime photo discovered.

Susumu Tomomatsu recently died in January aged 102. He had been an official photographer with the Japanese army in WWII. His family found albums of his photographs that had never been published. Some have recently been shared on a Japanese news website. A member of the WIX Forum just highlighted this find.

Amazingly, one of the pictures depicts a dump containing numerous allied aircraft. It was reportedly on Java. Prominent in the picture is a Miles cabin monoplane which looks to be a Whitney Straight in RAF colours. Here is a link to that site / image:

http://www.asahi.com/ajw/articles/ph...113004675.html
    "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."(Mary Baker Eddy)
  • flyernzl
    Rank 5 Registered User

A fascinating series of photographs.
    Thanks for the link.

Comment

• avion ancien
      Rank 5 Registered User

I think that the Whitney Straight depicted is VR-SBB (c/n 504), of which Peter Moss (Impressments Log, Vol. IV) commented that:

[it] was owned by the Royal Singapore Flying Club before it was impressed into 'A' Flight of the M.V.A.F. [Malayan Volunteer Air Force] on 1.2.41, and operated services between Kallang and various airfields in Java and Sumatra. Evacuated to Java in February 1942, VR-SBB was damaged beyond repair in a heavy landing at Andir Aerodrome, Bandoeng, circa 20.4.42
      If anyone has Air-Britain Digest of November 1955 (!), it contains an article by R.Golby detailing the history of the Malayan Volunteer Air Force and this might expand upon the foregoing comments.
      Last edited by avion ancien; 20th November 2018, 10:08.

Comment

• Consul
        Rank 5 Registered User

Thanks AA. I will also look at Peter Ms Air-Britain tomes on Miles aircraft, when I get chance, to check what his more recent findings say.
        "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."(Mary Baker Eddy)

Comment

• Chris Royle
          Rank 5 Registered User

This from an e mail to a friend from Peter Amos regarding the photo.
          History of aircraft: c/n 504 M.11A Whitney Straight; colour not recorded. CofA No.6204 issued 27.1.38 (as SA-SBB) to the Royal Singapore Flying Club; dd 1.2.38. Regd VR-SBB (CofR 31) 18.3.38 to Royal Singapore Flying Club,Kallang. The Miles Magazine September 1938 reported that: The longest out-and-home flight by an aircraft of the Royal Singapore Flying Club was completed on June 22nd, when a fast new machine returned from a trip to Bangkok. The Whitney Straight was chartered and piloted by Mr EC Whiteley who had to visit Siam on business in connection with Metropolitan Vickers Electrical Co Ltd, for whom he is the local representative. To 'A' Flight MVAF 1.12.41 with serial 12. Badly damaged in heavy landing Andir, Bandoeng, Java 20.2.42 and abandoned there.

Comment

• Consul
            Rank 5 Registered User

We expected Peter to come up trumps - thanks for sharing this information Chris.

Comment

• DaveF68
              Rank 5 Registered User

First recollection I have of a MVAF aircraft in camouflage

Comment

• Tin Triangle
                Bright Young Thing

A fascinating photo - thanks for posting! It took me a fair amount of head scratching to work it out, but I think the tail to the left is a Martin B-10 - presumably one of the Dutch order?
                Armchair enthusiast, but also a fan of sofas and recliners.

Comment

• ericmunk
                  Rank 5 Registered User

Correct. The "B-10" is Martin 166 (or 139WH-3A as it was also known) M589 of the KNIL. At least three Brewster Buffaloes are visible too, including model 339D B-3156 and 339C B-397. The USAAF B-17, and an unidentified fuselage frame also stand out. Not sure if the tail with an "O" is a Buffalo too, could be.

Comment

• DaveF68
                    Rank 5 Registered User

Direct link to photo

http://www.asahicom.jp/ajw/articles/...04675_comm.jpg

Comment

• avion ancien
                      Rank 5 Registered User

Sorry. I've just realised that I made a mistake in referring to the MVAF as the Malaysian, rather than Malayan, Volunteer Air Force.

Comment

• Planemike
                        Rank 5 Registered User

AA............. You can correct/edit your original post. (Oh maybe not,depending on performance of forum ?!!!)

Comment

• avion ancien
                          Rank 5 Registered User

Done!

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Working...
                          X