Spitfire, Spitfire, Spitfire,Spitfire

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

7 years 2 months

Four Spitfire threads on the first page tonight, usually at least two or three!
Is this turning into a Spitfire forum.
Great aeroplane Yes, Rare aeroplane certainly not.
Are there a lot of other great aircraft, certainly.
Come on lads, don't get so blinkered.
Lots of lovely civil types out there Airliners and GA that virtually never get a mention.
This should stir some replies.:D

Original post

Member for

18 years 1 month

Hurricanes, Chipmunks and anything in Raspberry Ripple!

Member for

9 years 5 months

Better warn people not to talk about B17's either then, 2 threads tut tut

Member for

6 years 1 month

If you’re not happy Elmdom Boy, why not post up things yourself or feel free to go to other forums/shut down your device/go to the pub/etc. It’s easy really.

Member for

17 years 11 months

Im upset there arent enough Spitfire threads :(

Member for

8 years 7 months

So what if there's 4 threads on Spits? So what if they aren't a rare aircraft.......if people want to talk about them then let them!

Member for

10 years 8 months

Thanks to you there's Five now Elmdon boy!

Member for

11 years 3 months

I with you all the way Elmdob boy....

Member for

24 years 2 months

You don’t have to read those threads, which take effort to post. Post some stuff up on what you like instead of complaining about it.

Member for

10 years 8 months

Agreed Seafuryfan! I certainly wasn't complaining, I was just smiling at the irony of it.

Member for

18 years 3 months

We're not allowed to discuss GA types on this forum, as it will be moved (rightly or wrongly) to the GA forum; (as this thread will be moved to general discussion imminently) last time I looked this was Historic, doesn't say anything about rarities , and whilst some of us have an unhealthy interest in $pitfires, we also like other types, so post away!

Member for

17 years 10 months

Im happy with
Spitfires
Hurricanes
Bouchons
109s
Lancasters
Wellingtons
He111
Dorniers
Stukas
the more the better
if its 72 spits or 1 Harvard I am interested to see them fly

Member for

15 years

Can’t have enough of anything interesting , especially Spitfires.

Member for

24 years 2 months

The forum does seem a tad Spitfire-heavy at times, but let's face it there's lots of Spit-related activity to talk about. Recoveries, restorations, rides, displays etc etc. The Spit is one of those types that captures the imagination of the wider public and that makes them sought after, which makes makes them collectable, which makes them valuable and financially viable to restore (provided it isn't Griffon-powered and/or low-backed). If only that were the case for a wider variety of types. It's just an extension of the Spitfire Snobbery of days of old and it's all part of the type's history and appeal.

Member for

16 years 4 months

If I had my way it would be full of restoration threads

Member for

7 years 2 months

Whoops, opened up a bit of a can of worms here!
Firstly I'm not anti Spitfire,as I do enjoy them,as my statement says, great aeroplane, I just felt that the type seemed to be over discussed compared to other interesting warbirds.
I appreciate that there are many Spitfire fans out there as its such an iconic aircraft, hence the numbers and the values put on them, supply and demand.
I threw in the thread to see what other peoples opinions were on this topic,and from that I respect everyone's comments, this was just my personal view.
Obviously I seem to be in the minority which is fine
I will continue to enjoy reading other folks opinions and information on this forum. including Spitfire threads.
I do feel that the civil side of historic aviation does get overlooked, and yes this is a side I particularly enjoy, but I do respect that the majority do seem to prefer the military. Hence many aircraft with both a military and civil history end up in military schemes. No problem with that, its there choice.
My statement regarding GA aircraft wasn't meant to mean modern GA, but classic and vintage civil GA. It was referred to as GA pre 1960s wasn't it?
As an aside I remember seeing Spitfires in some stunning colour schemes non military in the past. Spencer Flacks beautiful all red G-FIRE, Hampshire Aeroplanes/ Viv Bellamys powder blue G-AIDN racing around the pylons at Bagintons Kings cup early 60s, RR G-ALGT in its two tone blue.I thought they looked very smart.
Hope this puts the record straight, keep posting whatever topics you desire, and I will continue to enjoy them.

Member for

15 years

Good thread Elmdon Boy, nice to get others opinions. Fair play to you.

Member for

14 years 6 months

We need to have more Halifax and Stirling threads here, oh and the Whitley, oh and the Hampden, oh and the Battle etc etc.

Member for

17 years 10 months

I think also the restoration companies are tooled up for Spitfires I am sure to tool up for a Halifax or Stirling could be done but again the engine issues come up, and you can use P&W but the purists would moan about that also so best not do it.

Member for

14 years 6 months

There doesn't seem to be a lack of Merlins, and if in doubt fit Allison V-1710's.
Of course it has to do with desirability. The Spit and Mustang are the most popular but other types have made a comeback too. Look at the various Hawker Typhoon projects.
It's the most obscure ones that need more attention. Multi-engine aircraft cost more and are perhaps less desirable. Especially British ones are under-represented but who knows what happens in the future.
Who could have predicted in the eightes what the current situation would be now.
Cees