FHCAM JU-87R-4 Stuka revealed

Read the forum code of contact

Profile picture for user Zac Yates

Member for

15 years 9 months

Hi all,
Tomorrow the Flying Heritage & Combat Armor Museum will open its newest exhibition hangar. For the past few weeks their social media team has been teasing the reveal of a new aircraft project and this week narrowed it down to either the Me262 or the long-stored Stuka. Today their social media manager shared a video on Facebook touring the new hangar, and at the end revealed the still-in-progress Stuka. The video can be seen here (apologies for non-FB people, I hope you can see it without being part of the site):
https://www.facebook.com/flyingheritage/videos/221346615247103/

Here are some screenshots I took from the video for those who don't do FB:
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4821/45755468992_2833c5d5f2_c.jpgUntitled by Zac Yates, on Flickr
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4886/44891988525_36b1cbda61_c.jpgUntitled by Zac Yates, on Flickr
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4899/31933950888_c13d3579fe_c.jpgUntitled by Zac Yates, on Flickr
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4808/30865231167_27619096bb_c.jpgUntitled by Zac Yates, on Flickr
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4807/30865231317_e27f21578f_c.jpgUntitled by Zac Yates, on Flickr
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4804/45804774971_c2d08bd85d_c.jpgUntitled by Zac Yates, on Flickr

She said there's about 18mth-2yr of work until it flies, and heavily implies the Jericho Trumpet sirens WILL be installed. Interestingly much of the original wreckage is on display - she said it's a composite of two wrecks - and the restoration will continue and be completed in full view of the public with engineers working Monday to Friday on the Stuka in the new hangar. Jason Muszala headed the project.

This is fantastic. Since I was a child I've wanted to see and hear a Stuka fly, and reading that the late Paul Allen had acquired this project was tremendously exciting to this then-teenager. A historic project that will now be completed and seen by anyone who visits!

Original post

Member for

16 years 5 months

Bravo - a flying Stuka :applause:

I love it when groups or individuals overcome so many obstacles to step out of the closet and rebuild something that is unique to fly. It’s very much appreciated!!

ps.. just don’t throw any original left over material away please.

Rob

Member for

24 years 2 months

K5054NZ many thanks for this. It seems I’m not alone in regarding this restoration as the fulfilment of a lifetimes wish. I will travel to the Sates to see this in flight.

At last!

Member for

20 years 6 months

WOW ,But as Rob says PLEASE PLEASE don't destroy any original bits.

Member for

24 years 2 months

Wikipedia: A long range version of the Ju 87B was also built, known as the Ju 87R, the letter being an abbreviation for Reichweite, "(operational) range". They were primarily intended for anti-shipping missions. The Ju 87R had a B-series airframe with an additional oil tank and fuel lines to the outer wing stations to permit the use of two 300 litres (79 US gal) standardised capacity under-wing drop tanks, used by a wide variety of Luftwaffe aircraft through most of the war. This increased fuel capacity to 1,080 litres (290 US gal) (500 litres in main fuel tank of which 480 litres were usable + 600 litres from drop tanks). To prevent overload conditions, bomb carrying ability was often restricted to a single 250 kg (550 lb) bomb if the aircraft was fully loaded with fuel. The Ju 87 R-1 had a B-1 airframe with the exception of a modification in the fuselage which enabled an additional oil tank. This was installed to feed the engine due to the increase in range with the extra fuel tanks.[48]

A Ju-87 towing a DFS 230 over Italy

The Ju 87 R-2 had the same airframe as the B-2, and strengthened to ensure it could withstand dives of 600 km/h (370 mph). The Jumo 211D in-line engine was installed, replacing the R-1s Jumo 211A.[48] Due to an increase in overall weight by 700 kg (1,500 lb), the Ju 87 R-2 was 30 km/h (19 mph) slower than the Ju 87 B-1 and had a lower service ceiling. The Ju 87 R-2 had an increased range advantage of 360 km (220 mi).[47] The R-3 and R-4 were the last R variants developed. Only a few were built. The R-3 was an experimental tug for gliders and had an expanded radio system so the crew could communicate with the glider crew by way of the tow rope. The R-4 differed from the R-2 in the Jumo 211J powerplant.[49]

Member for

24 years 2 months

I want to add that I'm surprised and saddened about the lack of response to this news. I attribute this to the poor functionality of the rebooted forum, limited interest in Axis aircraft by a largely UK readership and the pull of Facebook.

Sorry for the thread drift, the Stuka restoration is exciting news and I hope there is a silent audience of enthusiasts who are looking forward to the first flight as much as I am.

Member for

24 years 2 months

Me too Seafuryfan; this is staggering news and hugely welcome. We are entering a rich seam of amazing restorations of types new to the "warbird" world, and long may it last!

Member for

9 years 2 months

Well, this is amazing news. Another exciting type I never thought I'd have any chance of seeing in the air again.

Member for

19 years

Brilliant news, that collection just gets better.
It will be awesome seeing a proper flying Stuka!

Member for

24 years 2 months

A Stuka.

A Stuka?

Seriously? A STUKA?

Roger me with a prize leek and call me Nigel - that is incredible!

Could the Swedes be persauded to send their B17 over to join it? That would be an airshow pairing!

Adrian

Member for

8 years 7 months

I'm.extremely excited by this......I'd love to see it flying but I doubt I ever will! They will have it like the original focke wulf 190 and never let it out of the state's I'm guessing so I'll probably never seen it in the flesh

Member for

14 years 8 months

Finally not another Spitfire or Mustang! And what an aircraft to see fly again. First Mosquitos now a Stuka! Great news.

Member for

14 years 3 months

Well I'm excited! It's hard to imagine a more potent and chilling airshow act anywhere than a Stuka diving, with siren going. I hope FHC demonstrate it properly, a near vertical dive, even if just once. Can't wait!

Member for

19 years 5 months

Anyone volunteer to be the first one to put it in "...a near vertical dive"? :)

R4118...you can see it anytime, BA has daily non-stop from LHR to SEA. The cost isn't much more than going to a Duxford air show or weekend in France.

Member for

24 years 2 months

I will certainly be heading back to Seattle to see it. Been looking forward to this restoration breaking cover for some time.

Member for

16 years 8 months

Well since no one has addressed it. I might as well say it.
Will it be at Legends ?! Jokes !
This is one restoration I can get behind. Finally something of genuine interest and rarity. And not just another already flying type.

Member for

24 years 2 months

This is a testament to the impact and legacy of Paul Allen, someone who took on projects that others couldn't and which continue even after his death. This will be a great sight and sound, I'm looking forward to it's completion enormously.

Member for

20 years 6 months

Oooh yes please!:):eagerness:

Member for

8 years 7 months

I wonder if this is the aircraft that is briefly mentioned in Kermit Weeks vintage V12s video where he asks what it's going in but is told it's a secret! Might be wishful thinking but I'd love to see a BF110 in the air one day!