Register Free

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FHCAM JU-87R-4 Stuka revealed

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (1 members and 1 guests)
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DH82EH
    Rank 5 Registered User

What the flight Heritage and Combat Air Museum does, is call Steve Hinton for most of their first flights!
    I wouldn't think the Stuka is particularly hard to fly. An experienced warbird pilot would do as you suggest.
    Read the notes, study the cockpit and learn where everything is, do some engine runs then go fly.

Comment

• Pulsar-xp
      Rank 5 Registered User

As mentioned before, the Stuka was a very stable aircraft with an excellent take off and landing behaviour. Of course, it wasnt a fighter. So Steve Hinton will be a little bit bored when he will fly the JU 87 for the first time within the next three years. If you are interested in the flying characteristics of german aircraft of the 2nd. WW, just read the book, which was issued by Eric Brown. He flew most of the german aircraft during and after the war.It is very interesting, how he judged about the characteristics of these aircraft. Especially his words about the 262 were very surprising. Before I read his book, I thought the P51 was the best fighter aircraft of the 2nd. WW.

Comment

• Mustang51
        Rank 5 Registered User

This, the CR.42 on show and the new NZ Mosquito are certainly the best warbird news pieces of the year IMHO. As stated, if it is displayed with the Jericho Trumpet it shall be outstanding. I intend to drop in on the trip from the Antipodes to Legends next year to see progress on this rare machine and if it is made public, at the first flight. Wonderful news !!!

Comment

• RAFRochford
          Rank 5 Registered User

All past and present restoration projects make me happy, but for me, this is project of the decade. Never thought I would see a Ju-87 in the air. Exciting times! Is there a Bf-110 in the pipeline?

Comment

• trumper
            Rank 5 Registered User

^^^^^^^^^^ That would be something i would love to see and hear.

Comment

• Jaguar34

With regard running the ME410, FW190 etc at St Athan during the late 80s and early 90s, the Stuka had long gone to Hendon by then. I remember seeing it on a low loader travelling out of Wales on the Severn Bridge in 1977? I read somewhere that it was run at St Athan in the late 60s for consideration for the BofB film, the quote was that the engine was "weak". Should be some photographs out there?

Comment

• Shoggz
                Rank 5 Registered User

My dad was stationed at St Athan in the early 70s and was friendly with Ken Hurst who curated the amazing storage facility, so many a Sunday morning was spent sat in the cockpit of the Ju87 and all the rest. Great memories

Comment

• K5054NZ
                  Rank 5 Registered User

I truly am sorry for folks without Facebook access as I'm not sure how to share this otherwise, but FHCAM has put up a brief clip with Jason Muszala and the Stuka getting painted into North Africa theatre colours: https://www.facebook.com/flyingherit...type=2&theater
                  "those who know keep quiet, and those who don't are frowned upon for asking." - snafu

Comment

• Versuch
                    Rank 5 Registered User

Thanks for that !

Comment

• K5054NZ
                      Rank 5 Registered User

And a photo from the FHCAM Twitter feed:
                      Untitled by Zac Yates, on Flickr
                      "those who know keep quiet, and those who don't are frowned upon for asking." - snafu

Comment

• DazDaMan
                        Rank 5 Registered User

This is gonna be so awesome when finished.
                        Daren Cogdon

Spitfire fanatic

Comment

• jeepman
                          infrequent poster now

Wonder if they are going to reproduce one of the two Snake Stukas.......cue debate about the colours of the snake if thats the case and whether it was painted on both sides of the airframe
                          JM

Comment

• Melvyn Hiscock
                            who are you?!

The Hendon Ssuka was nearly used in the BoB film. Viv Bellamy started it and it started on the third pull. That was in 1967-ish, perhaps twenty years before the engines were run at St Athan. A different era.

Comment

• Seafuryfan
                              Rank 5 Registered User

This Stuka was originally factory painted in a desert finish, then repainted for the Soviet Front. What I think we see here is FHCAMs meticulous attention to detail in reproducing all layers of paint, as originally applied. The Jericho Trumpet will not be fitted as it was not for the Soviet Front. Source: FHCAM via FB.

Comment

• K5054NZ
                                Rank 5 Registered User

I had heard the overpainted idea, that's great. The lack of siren, less so. It makes sense from an accuracy standpoint but is deeply disappointing to learn.

Comment

• J Boyle
                                  With malice towards none

They probably don't want noise complaints...
                                  There are two sides to every story. The truth is usually somewhere between the two.

Comment

• QldSpitty
                                    Rank 5 Registered User

Of course, it wasnt a fighter. So Steve Hinton will be a little bit bored when he will fly the JU 87 for the first time within the next three years.
                                    Unless you get it in a tail chase with 16 Spitfires
                                    "If the C.O. ask's you to be Tail End Charlie...just shoot him!!!....A Piece of Cake.
                                    http://spitfirea58-27.blogspot.com.au/

Comment

• J Boyle
                                      With malice towards none

I wonder if there is anyone still alive with Stuka time?
                                      There are two sides to every story. The truth is usually somewhere between the two.

Comment

• Pulsar-xp
                                        Rank 5 Registered User

Yes, there are some. My former math teacher, who is still alive, shared some of his memories many years ago. But anyway, this will not help anybody. If you ask a guy in his 90s about his experiences with a special aircraft, you will be surprised, what he is talking about. In case of the Stuka, I think there will be no bad surprises. If you read the report of Mr. Brown, it will be a very stable and easy to fly aircraft. As long there is nobody behind you, who wants to kill you, it will be a pleasure to fly her. The biggest question will be the reliability of the Jumo.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Working...
                                        X