There be a Walter back in the Air

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

17 years 6 months

Well done all involved, Navy Wessex issued with its permit to fly.

https://twitter.com/NavyWessex

Original post

Member for

14 years 1 month

Where/when/what? No Twitter here in outer space.

Member for

20 years 2 months

Actually, you're a bit premature. They've only issued the Permit to Fly; it hasn't actually flown yet.

Member for

15 years 6 months

Interesting, I thought that several complete aircraft had become unsaleable after Westlands declined to continue DA suppport some years ago?

Member for

24 years 3 months

What I know about helicopters could be written on the back of a postage stamp in huge letters, but I'd always understood that the Wessex (and Whirlwind?) couldn't be certified for civilian use.
I must have read it, or something that suggested it, somewhere but I haven't a clue where.

Member for

14 years 1 month

Does anyone have any info on this? Which aircraft, where etc?

Member for

15 years 11 months

"What I know about helicopters could be written on the back of a postage stamp in huge letters, but I'd always understood that the Wessex (and Whirlwind?) couldn't be certified for civilian use.
I must have read it, or something that suggested it, somewhere but I haven't a clue where."

i can recall a private restored whirlwind at Biggin several decades ago now.
Terry

Member for

14 years 4 months

For the sake of Sabrejet, this is Westland Wessex HU.5 XT761, which is one of two aircraft owned by Andrew Whitehouse somewhere near Crewkerne, Somerset, under the project name "Navy Wessex". I believe the same guy owns the Whirlwind HAR.10 XJ729 which has been rattling around the airshow circuit for a couple of years now. Navy Wessex is affiliated with Navy Wings, the umbrella organisation which has taken on the old RNHF aircraft. Quite exciting for me as I'm too young to have seen a Wessex fly in service!

https://www.navywings.org.uk/aircraft/all-aircraft/wessex-5/

Member for

5 years 8 months

Tin Triangle is correct, we have 1 x Whirlwind, 2 x Wessex and 2 x Sea King! The long term plan is to have a Wessex (RN SAR) and a Sea King (RAF SAR) airworthy to accompany the world's only airworthy Westland Whirlwind.

Why not come for a look around, food, drink and a very interesting talk on Wednesday 21 November (postponed from 15 Nov)? See below for details:

https://forum.keypublishing.com/forum/historic-aviation/3839312-historic-helicopters-open-evening-15-november-2018

Member for

17 years 6 months

And that's what it's all about Tin Triangle, just as the Vulcan was, bringing our Aviation Heritage back to life for current and future generation to enjoy.

Well done Historic Heli from an ex RAF Wessex engineer who has worked on, flown in and had a several goes at flying the mighty Wessex during my service career..
hats off to you all for bringing this to fruition. I enjoyed your Whirlwind demo a couple of years back at Cosford.

Member for

14 years 1 month

Nice one: also a Wessex bod and great to see this happening. Will try to make it for the 21st too!

Member for

5 years 8 months

Thanks TonyT and Sabrejet,

Please be aware that, for catering purposes, tickets for the Talk and Open Evening must be booked and paid for in advance. For booking, payment and further details please contact Mark at the e-mail address below.

Additionally - We are currently in the process of establishing a Visitor Centre and small museum to complement this astonishing collection of Historic Helicopters. The primary focus of the displays will be to chart the history of Royal Navy & Royal Air Force Search and Rescue and the history of the Commando Brigade Air Squadron, the Commando Helicopter Force and the “Junglie” Helicopters.

We would be most grateful to receive donations of artefacts, photographs, models, documents, badges, flying clothing, uniforms and equipment related to Royal Navy/Royal Air Force SAR and Commando Aviation. Thank you for your support!

Please contact: [EMAIL="mark@historichelicopters.com"]mark@historichelicopters.com[/EMAIL]

Member for

5 years 8 months

This is to confirm that Andy Strachan and Richard Folkes will deliver their talk on Wednesday 21 November between 6.30pm and 10pm.

Please be aware that, for catering purposes, tickets must be booked and paid for in advance. For bookings, payment and further details please contact:

[EMAIL="mark@historichelicopters.com"]mark@historichelicopters.com[/EMAIL]

Member for

19 years 9 months

There was a flying Whirlwing HCC12 a few years back if I recall correctly

Member for

12 years 4 months

Great to hear. Flew the Wessex on the last 2 AFT Sqn course at Shawbury - a lovely old girl! After several years flying Chinooks, I flew the Sea King HAR3/3A a bit as well - reminded me of the Wessex in many ways. I can't make the 21st, but as I'm just up the road in Somerset I look forward to seeing the old girl(s) soon. Best of luck to all concerned!

Member for

5 years 8 months

Apologies everyone,

Due to unforeseen circumstances, we must CANCEL the Open Evening and Talk by Andy Strachan and Richard Folkes which was due to take place on Wednesday 21 November between 6.30pm and 10pm.

The new date will be publicised ASAP but it is likely to be during February or March 2019.

Member for

5 years 8 months

This is to reiterate and confirm that the Open Evening and Talk by Andy Strachan and Richard Folkes which was due to take place this evening (Wednesday 21 November) between 6.30pm and 10pm IS CANCELLED.

The new date will be publicised ASAP but it is likely to be during February or March 2019.