Who is Eric L Knightley

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

14 years 7 months

I recently purchased from a charity shop a print by Robert Taylor of James Nicholson VC extracting himself from his burning Hurricane. The print is signed by Eric L Knightley. Following some hours of research I am still entirely ignorant as to Eric L Knightley's significance.

Am hoping someone on here can help!

Original post

Member for

24 years 3 months

Sergeant Eric Leslie Kightley was an Air Gunner on board the Liberator in which Nicholson lost his life on May 2nd 1945, one of only two survivors.

Member for

14 years 7 months

Thank you! An interesting but slightly goulish connection to the subject of the print!

Member for

19 years 4 months

Here is an excerpt of Eric Kightley's logbook, listing the fateful 2 May 1945 op when 355 Sqn Liberator KH210 ditched and all but Kightley and RAAF 434840 F/Sgt M.H. Pullen died, including James Nicolson (not Nicholson).

Also, here is a photo of Eric Kightley with crewmates on the lake at the resort of Naini Tal, India in April 1945, less than a month before the tragedy.

And I include a news cutting about Kightley from 2005. There are factual errors in the reporting...what else is new! One line is blocked out, but it's no big deal.

All four items are courtesy of Eric's son. Paul Kightley.

Attachments

Member for

4 years 6 months

I think my uncle, Dan Cameron, was aboard the fateful flight as navigator. If anyone has any more information it would be greatly appreciated

Member for

19 years 4 months

Hi, Alan. I'm short of time this week, but I can round up a few documents to help you out. Here's a photo showing your uncle, Dan [EDIT: that's DON] Cameron, with some of his mates on leave in Naini Tal, India in April 1945, shortly before the accident. The two survivors of the ditching, Mick Pullen and Eric Kightley, are in the photo. One man in the photo wasn't with them when they went down. Bear with me, and I'll eventually come through and send you some interesting things.

Attachments

Member for

19 years 4 months

Alan,

In this new forum setup, I can't find any way to access a members list to locate your email address or to send you a private message. So, then, would you kindly write to me at: feb2944 AT aol DOT com, with an appropriate way of identifying yourself? Thanks.

Incidentally, Eric Kightley's son Paul has been making a video for YouTube, which you will like when you are able to view it after it has been released. I have been shown an advanced copy, and it is a wonderful tribute to Eric and his squadronmates. The photo of Eric and Dan [EDIT: that's DON] and the others in the boat on the lake at Naini Tal is included.

So there you go...and please contact me by email when you get a chance.

Member for

19 years 4 months

Alan, I just thought I'd let you know that your uncle's name was, according to records, DON, not DAN, Cameron. From the Commonwealth War Graves Commission:

Flight Sergeant
CAMERON, DONALD URQUHART
Service Number 1823810

The initials, rank, and service number match other documents I have, and Eric Kightley's son referred to him as "Don" in the video he is making. Eric's diary extract that I have also calls him Don (while the other Don in the crew, D. T. Nicolson -- no relation to J. B. Nicolson VC, with whom D.T. Nicolson died -- is referred to as "Nick").

And, so, I have reposted the boating photo from the men's leave in Naini Tal, India.

Also, Don Cameron was the flight engineer, not the navigator.

You are Don Cameron's nephew, aren't you?

Attachments

Member for

4 years 6 months

Matt, Alan Cameron, who you replied to, is my cousin  (Hi Alan if you're reading this) I also am a nephew of Donald  Urquhart Cameron. I'd be interested in knowing more about the video you are referring to. My uncle was known to his close family as Dan. I don't know whether he went by the name Don when outside the family but we're talking of the same person 

Best

Donald  

Member for

19 years 4 months

Hi, Donald,

This may be my last post to what has shamefully, needlessly become a ridiculous and unacceptable forum.  But enough of that garbage...

I'm very happy that you posted.  Kindly write to me, or have Alan write to me, soon, at the email address I posted already.  Email is the way to make our correspondence private, to start at least.  Then maybe Facebook.  We'll see.  

Thanks for the clarification of Dan vs Don.  Based on the diary kept by Eric Kightley, it seems that your uncle was Don to his mates.  So maybe he was just Dan back home.

Paul Kightley is a clever lad who is putting together a very worthy YouTube video.  Based on some comments from me and several others who viewed his initial draft, he has decided to make some edits, all for the better.  It's a work in progress, and the end result will be wonderful.

Cheers,

Matt

Member for

6 years 3 months

Sigh ... another foul-up with this forum. When I click on one of the links in the second post, it opens - another post of the same message, NOT whatever the link is. I've noticed this when trying to go back and find some of my past posts.

And don't even ask what happens to any chart-like material you've posted in the past ...