Register Free

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who is Eric L Knightley

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    Rank 5 Registered User

Who is Eric L Knightley

I recently purchased from a charity shop a print by Robert Taylor of James Nicholson VC extracting himself from his burning Hurricane. The print is signed by Eric L Knightley. Following some hours of research I am still entirely ignorant as to Eric L Knightley's significance.

Am hoping someone on here can help!
  • trumper
    Rank 5 Registered User

This link says he was a pilot https://www.bidonthis.co.uk/auction/...ord-tuck-10889 although there is a Eric L kightly mentioned here http://ww2talk.com/index.php?threads...lson-vc.22237/
    I would find this interesting as well.

Comment

• Ant.H
      Rank 5 Registered User

Sergeant Eric Leslie Kightley was an Air Gunner on board the Liberator in which Nicholson lost his life on May 2nd 1945, one of only two survivors.
      Last edited by Ant.H; 6th November 2018, 21:22.
      "Talking about airplanes is a very pleasant mental disease." Sergei Sikorsky

Comment

Rank 5 Registered User

Thank you! An interesting but slightly goulish connection to the subject of the print!

Comment

• Matt Poole
          Rank 5 Registered User

Here is an excerpt of Eric Kightley's logbook, listing the fateful 2 May 1945 op when 355 Sqn Liberator KH210 ditched and all but Kightley and RAAF 434840 F/Sgt M.H. Pullen died, including James Nicolson (not Nicholson).

Also, here is a photo of Eric Kightley with crewmates on the lake at the resort of Naini Tal, India in April 1945, less than a month before the tragedy.

And I include a news cutting about Kightley from 2005. There are factual errors in the reporting...what else is new! One line is blocked out, but it's no big deal.

All four items are courtesy of Eric's son. Paul Kightley.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Matt Poole; 7th November 2018, 22:05.
          RAF LIBERATORS OVER BURMA (subtitled FLYING WITH 159 SQUADRON) by Bill Kirkness DFM and Matt Poole, published by Fonthill Media

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Working...
          X