P.1127 XP831 at Hendon

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

12 years 6 months

Hi, can anyone tell me when XP831 left the RAF Museum and went to the Science Museum and who owns it? Is it on loan to the Science Museum from RAFM?

Thanks.

Original post

Member for

18 years 11 months

'Wrecks and Relics' 26th Edn has the 'arrival date' at Science Museum as 31/05/1992, so it must have left RAFM sometime before that, and may well have been held in storage in RAFM Reserve Collection, or displayed elsewhere, before being moved to South Kensington?

Member for

12 years 6 months

Thanks Paul, good to know. I visited the Science Museum in 1992 and remember seeing it there and I found a photo of it at Hendon in 1990 on the net, so I figured between then was likely. Now I'd like to find out if it was an AHB airframe on loan to the Science Museum or vice versa when it was installed in the Camm display at Hendon.

Member for

12 years 6 months

Thanks Dave. If it's on loan from RAFM, then its theirs. In the late '90s, the MoD passed its AHB airframes into the RAFM's care. Those that had the aircraft outside the RAFM signed temporary loan documents lasting 5 years and were given the option of renewing every five years. That was a while ago though, dunno if that still applies. The LVG at Shuttleworth, now Cosford and the Bf 109 Black 6 also now at Cosford were subject to these 5 year loans while they were operated by these organisations. Both were former AHB airframes.

Member for

19 years 3 months

RAF Museum Hendon 1980 [ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"medium","data-attachmentid":3871282}[/ATTACH]

Attachments