Memphis Belle Dispersal Location?

Read the forum code of contact

Did the Belle have a regular dispersal at Bassingbourn, and if so, where was it? A search of the net hasn't brought up any info and I'm not that familiar with the 91st BG and Bassingbourn to even know where each squadron was dispersed around the base.

Original post

Member for

24 years 3 months

You might not find she had a dispersal as such - at Bassingbourn the aircraft were often dispersed up the avenue of elms leading to Wimpole Hall.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Bassingbourn+cum+Kneesworth,+Royston/@52.1111894,-0.066976,8825m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x4877d4144d931257:0xa71078664c86a131!8m2!3d52.0798126!4d-0.0538964

It's the linear feature running due North up the middle of the image.

Adrian

Member for

20 years 1 month

And one where every private pilot in East Anglia wants to do at least a "touch and go" along it.

Member for

24 years 3 months

And one where every private pilot in East Anglia wants to do at least a "touch and go" along it.

Did a 'victory roll' along it in MJ627, which was nice....

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-GfDouTzAlDk/W7u6DbkpxqI/AAAAAAAADXM/W5xrMOuc3iUuINgVMeJD1PbTj6AWXBxrgCLcBGAs/s1600/V_roll_wimpole.png

Member for

24 years 3 months

You can go right off some people... :-P

Adrian

(Rob - where di you find that stunning photo?)

Member for

18 years 2 months

Having just had a flick through "Memphis Belle, Dispelling the Myths" (Great book by the way), it states that it is believed that Belle did indeed have a regular hardstand, and this was stand # 9. However, it does point out that this is yet to be proven beyond doubt. If it was stand # 9, then it would seem that it still survives on Guise Lane just north of the farm buildings.

Steve

Member for

16 years 6 months

Adrian - just a Wiki Photo..

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=raf+bassingbourn&prmd=minv&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiA4MHd-fndAhVkJsAKHUUaBtIQ_AUIEigC&biw=1024&bih=666&dpr=2#imgrc=zGiF4eFLe5HSUM

Steve - as I said, most of the time. Many veterans who could confirm have now gone onto blue skies. Coupled with fading memories, you can take your pick.
Personally I was told the one nearest the airfield buildings.

Rob

Member for

18 years 2 months

I was just going by the book, and know that 30 years of research went into it (I know Graham and met Harry Friedman at the book launch at Bassingbourne) It's pretty exhaustive and doesn't leave a stone unturned. Graham used to post here...wonder if he'll chip in?

Thanks for the responses. Back in 1997 and 1999, I flew over many of the 8th Air Force bases including Bassingbourn. I was just curious whether any of my pictures had caught the area of the dispersal.

Member for

5 years 7 months

Some great info here. Very interesting to compare modern Google earth with the original photos, particularly Robs shot of the dispersals dated 29/12/43. Interesting that the sewage farm is still there. Just close by are two square buildings with strange "W" shaped features on two sides. I guess these are blast walls and the buildings are some type of storage? On modern Google earth, you can see these are still there and the area is surrounded by what looks like a considerable fence. Anyone know what those buildings were for?
Cheers
V

Member for

8 years 10 months

Storage for aircraft ammunition. .303 and .5 in this case. I have a drawing number listed somewhere, but there's more on Aix. Those at RAF Newton, (in the trees behind the range) were demolished a while back. The give-away W is a blast wall.

Member for

5 years 7 months

Yes, suspected that was the case. It looks like they were used until very recently. I can imagine the millions of rounds of 0.5 that were processed there in WW2.
Cheers
V