Hansa Jet Luftwaffe Electronic Warfare trainer, Tornado F1s and other exchanges

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

18 years

Good Morning, I'm doing some research into the service history of the HFB-320 Hansa Jet. The EW variant of the aircraft was based at Lechfield with Staffel 323. Aircraft from 323 visited the UK on several occasions to exercise with RAF units.
I have a reference to a Tornado F1 squadron being involved,but I suspect there may jhave been others.
Please can anyone help with thios and let me know of any exchanges/interactions etc they may have been aware of; or, better still, actually been involved in.
Thanks in anticipation

Original post

Member for

24 years 3 months

I don't think there was ever a version of Tornado known as F.1, the main RAF versions were GR.1 (IDS version) , F.2 and the F.3 (both ADV versions) and finally the GR.4 (upgraded GR.1).

Member for

18 years

Thanks Ant, I took that straight from a submission from a Luftwaffe EW Hansa pilot. I'll assume that he meant a GR1.

Member for

15 years 8 months

German Hansa Jets were regular visitor to RAF Wyton to work with the Canberra EW Jammers of 360sqn. Most NATO exercises, such as Elder Forrest, saw Hansa Jet and PD808 from Italy. I will check my personal logs for visit dates but the Spotting group BARG will be your best resource. I will try to find a link to their website.

Member for

14 years 1 month

I'm afraid BARG folded a few years ago. Another spotting forum, Scramble, which is run by the Dutch Aviation Society, released most of the BARG magazines on a CD format - I am pretty sure that most of the early editions covering the 1980's sold out very quickly.

I think that your best hope for getting the information you require may be to join the Professional Pilots Rumour Network (PPRuNe) and post your question on the Military Aviation section. There are several Tornado pilots on that forum, and I am pretty sure that there is at least one, maybe two, Canberra pilots who served on 360 Squadron.

Hope that helps, wish you the best of luck in your quest.

Member for

18 years

Thanks for the help. I've a feeling that this is not going to be an easy one to research. I'm already a member of PPRune and have posted there.