Register Free

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Museum Revamp. Museum Of Army Flying , Middle Wallop

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (0 members and 2 guests)
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aeronut 2008
    Rank 5 Registered User

Museum Revamp. Museum Of Army Flying , Middle Wallop

The old Archive at Middle Wallop as it stands today with just a final few objects to move. The Museum is to undergo a revamp over the winter and the first part is a move of the Archive to better conditions and storage racks. Unsurprisingly the museum has stopped taking research requests. The museum will close to the public on 29th October as the aircraft displays are to be rearranged to give 'context' to the display. Two aircraft are leaving (EP9 and Magister) to make room for two that have been in store fo
  • aeronut 2008
    Rank 5 Registered User

OK some might be wondering what that photo is? (apart from finger trouble on my part and this new forum set up being less than friendly to a computer semi-illiterate like myself)
    The Museum of Army Flying at Middle Wallop is about to undergo a revamp over the coming winter. The first part is to provide new facilities for the Archive and the photo is what the old Archive looks like today, all but empty, with everything packed and transported to a temporary store on the Army camp. There are bigger moves coming up.
    The museum closes to the public (apart from some WW1 commemorative events) on the 29th October with a planned reopening in time for Easter next year. In that time the display is to undergo some changes to regain both a continuity and a context. The majority of the aircraft will be moving with some that aren't having to be partially dismantled to allow others past, hence the public closure.
    Two aircraft will be leaving (EP9 and Magister) and two will be coming out of long term storage (Islander and A109). There was a third new aircraft in the plan (Apache), but between it being a Wattisham hangar queen, there appearing to be no one in the MOD who knows how to release it and the National Army Museum at Chelsea think they should have it, the museum's plans for it are having to be changed (on almost a daily basis). If it doesn't arrive there will be a space left for it or another one.
    As a volunteer with the museum I'm going to be activly involved with the revamp and I also intend to keep the Forum up to date with the moves - if you're interested that is?

Comment

• Ant.H
      Rank 5 Registered User

Yes please Aeronut, and wishing you all the best with it.

Any news on where the EP.9 and Magister will be going?
      "Talking about airplanes is a very pleasant mental disease." Sergei Sikorsky

Comment

• aeronut 2008
        Rank 5 Registered User

The EP9 will go into store and the Magister will go back to its owner the RAF Museum, which presumably means in store at Stafford.
        This is a photo of some of the models used to plan the aircraft moves.
        Those of you who know the museum will recognise that only two of these aircraft will be remaining in the spots they currently reside in.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4666.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	434.4 KB
ID:	3837344
        Attached Files

Comment

• Ant.H
          Rank 5 Registered User

Thanks Aeronut, I hope the Maggie ends up on display somewhere rather than in RAFM storage, they're not exactly common.
          "Talking about airplanes is a very pleasant mental disease." Sergei Sikorsky

Comment

• Good Vibs
            Rank 5 Registered User

Oh Yes, please keep us informed. Sounds like a very good chance to "upgrade".
            I was last there, many years ago, with my friends when the Cobra arrived.
            Hope the Apache will arrive also.

Comment

• Zidante
              Rank 5 Registered User

Well that certainly guarantees a visit next year then, great museum and best wishes for all the work coming up.

Can't say I approve of repainting the airframes those colours though, all these modern ideas to promote 'engagement'

Comment

• 12jaguar
                Rank 5 Registered User

What's the tail no of the Apache, interested as I used to work in the MOD Project Team?

John
                http://www.stirlingproject.co.uk

Comment

• CADman
                  Rank 5 Registered User

Agreed with AntH the Magister should be offered out on long term loan if RAF Museum can not display it properly.
                  More importantly the EP9 is surely a rarer aircraft. Again it would be great if it could be loaned out.

Been a very long time since I lasted visited Middle Wallop. But is happening to the rest of the collection ? Vehicles and sections of Horsa glider ? Will there be any substantial new buildings / hangar ?

Comment

• aeronut 2008
                    Rank 5 Registered User

Can't say I approve of repainting the airframes those colours though, all these modern ideas to promote 'engagement'
                    The requirement to build forty odd models in a couple of weeks meant that accurate colour schemes went out of the window. There were some rare kits used and I could hear the screams of the collectors as I built them and then gave them an overall cover of paint.

But is happening to the rest of the collection ? Vehicles and sections of Horsa glider ? Will there be any substantial new buildings / hangar ?
                    The vehicles will be moved into context with the aircraft they are associated with ie the runway control caravan will be grouped with the Chipmunk, Link Trainer and one of the Sioux to tell the story of pilot training at Wallop.
                    The gliders are staying where they are as they were subject to a revamp a few years ago and the style of that revamp is now going to be extended throughout the museum. Just two of the gliders are due to be disturbed for this move. The Kite which is suspended will be lowered and then re hung. However, the biggest glider move will be to the Hadrian which will need its fuselage split (at the transport joint) to allow the Huey to be moved out and the Sycamore to move in.
                    Building work is restricted to converting the offices into a new Archive (started this week), a new entrance porch to keep the Front of House staff warm in winter, replacing the creaking floor of the old Archive which will become the new office space and a mezzanine in the workshop, so that it can be used as a workshop and not just a storeroom to hide anything and everything, as it is now.

Having said the museum is closing to the public at the end of October I need to mention to all the cycling /motorcycling groups, Police and Ambulance training teams and any other persons passing the museum, that the museum caf will remain open (apart from its own revamp in January).
                    This is the sort of view you can get from caf balcony whilst eating a full English or a slice of homemade cake. The HAAF Scout going out to play.

Name:	IMG_2518.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	546.2 KB
ID:	3837525

Comment

• RogerN
                      Rank 5 Registered User

Please keep us updated if at all possible. Hope the EP9 will find a new home as said it's a rare bird and deserves to be seen.
                      Looking forward to visiting after the revamp

Roger

Comment

• aeronut 2008
                        Rank 5 Registered User

I took a look under the 109's cowling today.
                        Anyone got two Allison 250-C20b engines they don't want?

Name:	engine bay.jpg
Size:	601.0 KB
ID:	3837709

Also as this forum likes cockpits, here's what the 109s looks like. Just the one GPS panel missing.

Name:	109 cockpit.jpg
Size:	762.7 KB
ID:	3837710
                        Two surprises.
                        One, the clock still there.
                        Two, The Transponder is set to 7700. Well I suppose having both engines missing would count as an emergency.
                        BTW this aircraft has sat undisturbed under a tarpaulin since it arrived over 10 years ago so who put that Transponder code in is unknown.

Comment

• David Burke
                          Rank 5 Registered User

Hopefully some work can be done on the AOP.6 whilst it's on the ground !

Comment

• AnthonyG
                            Rank 5 Registered User

Agreed David!
                            Does anyone have any pics of her recently?

Cheers
                            Anthony

Comment

• RetreatingBlade
                              Rank 5 Registered User

I hope they don't need to turn the head on the Cobra to get it out of the Museum; there was an awful lot of rain water in the MGB when I assembled it. Drained it out and flushed it with more oil before I put the mast in but I suspect the years will not have been kind to the internals.
                              If things don't change, they'll stay the way they are.

Comment

• aeronut 2008
                                Rank 5 Registered User

I hope they don't need to turn the head on the Cobra to get it out of the Museum; there was an awful lot of rain water in the MGB when I assembled it. Drained it out and flushed it with more oil before I put the mast in but I suspect the years will not have been kind to the internals.
                                Noted. The Cobra is staying, in fact its one of the exhibits that will be moving the least, just rotating 90 degrees and shifting a few feet sideways. As it stands the rotor will not have to be moved or even have its blades removed as others will. Many visitors question why the museum has a Cobra so the new caption will make a point of describing the first time the Air Corps evaluated one at Wallop in the mid 1960's. Its one that got away.

Hopefully some work can be done on the AOP.6 whilst it's on the ground
                                Apart from a good clean and her suspension points checked before rehanging, the only work she is likely to get is sorting out the gaping hole in the Stb leading edge where an air driven generator has been removed. The Auster V will need more work as she is coming down to earth (after 24 years) and will need some over stressed tubing fixed and a new forward upper glazing found / fitted.

Comment

• David Burke
                                  Rank 5 Registered User

Its not too difficult to source a replacement generator and propeller. It would be nice to put a matched tyre on her as well

Comment

• OneEighthBit
                                    With wings alone

Blimey, didn't realised it was going to be closed for so long. Glad I got down to measure up the Horsa in time! Must say I have some fond memories of digging through boxes in that old archive over the years.
                                    "The best way to stop a crack in the fuselage spreading is to drill each end with a one eighth bit."
                                    @HorsaJed | Jet Age Museum Horsa Cockpit Project

Comment

• aeronut 2008
                                      Rank 5 Registered User

Jed, Im sure that if you needed access to the Horsa again it could be arranged. You would of course have to don Harry Potters fluorescent Cloak of Invincibility, steel toed boots and a safety hat as well as reading and signing the Health and Safety brief.

Comment

• aeronut 2008
                                        Rank 5 Registered User

Well the museum is now closed to the public and the work to update the displays has started in earnest.
                                        The first aircraft move has already taken place - the Replica Cody man lifting kite and observer's basket came down from their lofty position above the front desk on Monday. They've been up there for over 35 years so you can imagine what the dust looked like.
                                        Today its been a case of removing barriers and gravel in preparation for the first fixed wing move starting tomorrow (EP9).
                                        The builders have been getting on with the task of converting the offices to an Archive and the old archive into offices to the extent of being a day or two ahead of schedule.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Working...
                                        X