TIGHAR Coming to the UK...

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

19 years 5 months

In the latest installment of the group's newsletter, Gillespie has announced the group is headed to the UK next summer to continue their search for Glenn Miller who disappeared over the Channel in a UC-64 Norseman in December, 1944.

This comes after an "initial review" of the case...apparently telling on a reported dredging up if an aircraft "circa 1987" (nice to see they're working from such solid information).

In the December 2017 newsletter, RG said he'd conduct a review of the case and if "nothing disqualifying" turned up, he'd lead a "research trip" in search for new data.

Much to the pleasure of hotel operators and hire car firms in the Home Counties, the trip seems to be officially on.

You've been warned. :)

You can read an excerpt of his announcement on the Aviation Mysteries forum..

http://aviationmystery.com

He doesn't indicate what he'll do...probably interviewing people who think they found the aircraft 32 years before, and I'd assume going through UK files on the subject (though since the aircraft was American I wonder what the RAF/RN or MoD would have on the disappearance other than notes on the search)?

The fact (as discussed here previously) that this, like his Amelia Earhart theory is one that can never be proved...or disproved...so it will be a never-ending effort (and like the search for AE, one could surmise a long term income stream).

After 75 years, there aren't likely any remains of the steel tube, fabric and wood aircraft other than the engine.
And IF the engine is found (after all they're can't be many radials in the Channel :) ) I wonder if there is a way to positively match it to the R-1340 in Miller's aircraft?

If one were cynical, you could say this expedition is either a free vacation for the two person paid staff of the group...Gillespie and his wife...or an attempt to get media attention to attract new members (and donations) by piggybacking on the interest in the war generated by the 75th anniversary of D-Day scheduled for the same time.I

No doubt they'll be making a play for as much media attention as possible.

Hopefully the media and UK public won't be too gullible.

Original post

Member for

20 years

Somebody lend them a bucket and spade and they can recover the P38 at the same time

Member for

19 years 3 months

Posted by by J Boyle "Hopefully the media and UK public won't be too gullible"

Oh dear !!!

Member for

20 years 1 month

NW, Are you endorsing the quoted sentiment, or questioning it ? Confused..

Member for

14 years 11 months

I had been looking out for some amusing reading material over the winter and darn me here it comes!

Member for

16 years 3 months

[QUOTE

(after all they're can't be many radials in the Channel)

][/QUOTE]

I do hope that was meant to be ironic.
Presumably finding a radial engine lying close by a trombone would be all the proof needed.

Member for

14 years 11 months

Can't believe I'm taking this semi seriously but does anyone else remember a TV documentary a few years back featuring some guy who's made this quest his life's mission? They were searching the infamous weapons dump area where (allegedly) RAF Lancasters bombed GM and surprise surprise they found a radial engine. Turned out to be from a P47. Anyone else remember the programme and who it was doing the search?

Member for

14 years 1 month

Fresh audience for exploiting? I suspect there are enough who won't be aware of TIGHAR's reputation who will fall for this. Expect The Daily Fail to be at the forefront.

Member for

13 years 3 months

Nachtjagd I think you are referring to "Glenn Miller's last flight" C4. Alan Ross was the researcher and the diving was carried out by Wight diver Martin Woodward.

Member for

24 years 3 months

♪♪"Dem bones, dem bones,
Dem trom-bones...."♪♪

Profile picture for user DH82EH

Member for

11 years 3 months

Jeepman wrote
"Somebody lend them a bucket and spade and they can recover the P38 at the same time."

Now that is just ridiculous.
Anyone who has been paying attention knows that TIGHAR has never, and will never recover anything of substance. :dev2:

Member for

16 years 8 months

Did Glenn Miller wear freckle cream?

Member for

19 years 5 months

Since the group has said that an airplane crashing and sinking (in the South Pacific) was unlikely (huh? Look at a map), I suspect they'll search the channel islands. :)

The path to publicity and riches is easy...find some bones... or better yet, the mere measurements of bones (made by a doctor whose reputation you earlier trashed), get the guy who said Bigfoot existed to compare them to a photo...and presto... "Case Closed".

You couldn't make this stuff up.
And after 30 years of looking, raising millions of tax free dollars and paying himself a handsome salary, while not proving anything, (or recovering anything despite the name of the group), the fearless leader still takes himself very seriously, dressing up in safari clothes, and thinking he's smarter than the Royal Geographic Society.

​​​