Farman F.370.

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

17 years 9 months

I am assisting a modelling friend who has an interest in this 1933 French racing aeroplane. The Farman 370 or as the French call it the Farman a Farman because it was powered by the 400 HP Farman 12 cylinder motor is one of the aircraft fitted with a Mono-wheel with wing mounted skids type of under-carriage which Farman used on a number of types in the 30's. This aeroplane can be confused with the similar but smaller mono-wheel Farman Renault Bengali also flown in the Coupe Deutsche.

There seems to be remarkably little info around on this aeroplane which was built for the Coupe Deutsche of 1933. I have a small three view which appeared in various French sources plus a competent drawing by the late Bill Hannan.

My main problem is that the published dimensions for the wing span do not fit all of the drawings. Most sources agree on the overall length but the wing span as published in Flight and other contemporary European magazines (including a later French model magazine) and the N.A.C.A Technical Memorandum No 724 all give the span as 8.10 m but the drawings all scale out to approx 7.50 m span. Les Ailes magazine for the 8th of June 1933 mentions (via Google Translate) a shortened wing being test flown before the race. Les Ailes also gives the span as 7.90 m but this does not match the ratio of the drawings and it is a mere 20 cm (8") difference. If this were a misprint and the 9 should be a 5 this would make sense and match the span of the drawings. The scale grid with the three views is also misleading.

Can any one help either with info or other drawings. I don't know if there are any others in such as L'Fana or the excellent book on Farman aircraft by J Liron (which I don't have).

John

Original post

Member for

16 years 8 months

Having checked the index for le Trait d'Union, there is a reference to the F.370 in issue 202/32. Unfortunately I don't have this issue. As to le Fana de l'Aviation, you'll find an index of sorts (more a list of contents) at http://aero.index.free.fr/index/fana/ig.pdf but there doesn't seem to be a search facility and I'm not sure whether you'd want to plough through all 234 pages of that! Unfortunately I don't have Jean Liron's book but on a French forum that I use, I know there are people who do. If you'd like me to post your request there, John, send me a PM and I'll do so.

Member for

17 years 9 months

A.A,

Thank you for the reply. I will send a PM as soon as I can put some notes together.

John